Results of Windshield Washer Cleaning

PDA

kwhi43@kc.rr.com
December 13, 2010, 04:40 PM
This has been shot thousands of times over the past five years and cleaned
with just cold windshield washer solution and sprayed with WD-40. This is
a custom 800 dollar pistol.

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o127/prizzel/0008.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Results of Windshield Washer Cleaning" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
kwhi43@kc.rr.com
December 13, 2010, 04:43 PM
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o127/prizzel/0004-2.jpg

kwhi43@kc.rr.com
December 13, 2010, 04:46 PM
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o127/prizzel/0001-1.jpg

Shoot The Moon
December 13, 2010, 05:00 PM
Interesting - I read an article somewhere that suggested using window cleaner - the vinegar based green stuff. Used it when I shot Pyrodex but am now a 777 fan due to the H20 cleanup....

BTW, I also drown the revolver in WD-40 when it's clean - always keeps the rust away on mine.

sltm1
December 13, 2010, 06:22 PM
I'm pretty close, I use windex and Hoppes oil, don't particularly like the smell of WD-40. Also it's not a proper oil for long term storage. The WD stands for Water Displacement.

rdstrain49
December 13, 2010, 07:04 PM
WD40 is a petroleum distillate, do you find a tendency to build up gummy crud when shooting, or do you wipe the weapon clean inside and out prior to firing? Sounds interesting.

kwhi43@kc.rr.com
December 13, 2010, 08:35 PM
It's pertty much dry prior to firing. The cylinder pin and sides of hammer get
lubed during shooting with a 5 % mix of water souble cutting oil and water.
Known as "Moose Milk"

mykeal
December 13, 2010, 11:01 PM
This has been shot thousands of times over the past five years
No it hasn't. It's a brand new gun. You can't fool me. Why are you trying to pull my leg?

Claymore1500
December 13, 2010, 11:15 PM
Just so you know, Some windshield washer solvents can be corrosive, make sure you rinse it off clean before storage.

ontarget
December 13, 2010, 11:33 PM
never tried windshield washer fluid but definitely love the WD-40. Just have to wipe out barrel and chambers before firing.

Bluehawk
December 15, 2010, 09:16 AM
Windshield washer fluid is basically water and alcohol...why spend so much when soap and water does the same thing equally well?

jimmyraythomason
December 15, 2010, 10:35 AM
why spend so much It's roughly $1.99 per gallon on sale.

PTK
December 15, 2010, 01:06 PM
Exactly what I was about to point out. Can't really find a cheaper solvent than that or plain water. :)

788Ham
December 15, 2010, 01:14 PM
Shoot The Moon,

You use an acid {vinegar} mix to clean your revolver? I've never heard of using anything like that before, maybe BP is different than what type of powders I use, this just sounded too strange to me. Acid on metal??

Shoot The Moon
December 15, 2010, 04:57 PM
Well, I never thought of it like that - the green window cleaner I used to use never did my gun any harm maybe because it was a stainless ROA - and now you mention it I guess it may be my memory that is failing me... for some reason I was convinced it was vinegar based (to get the glass clean) but you're right - in fact vinegar would take the blue off a regular steel gun if strong enough... I know this because I used vinegar to age my .31 pocket!

GENTLEMAN OF THE CHARCOAL
December 15, 2010, 06:48 PM
Cleaning solvent and good bore brush. Toothbrush and paint brush. Nipple pick. Patches and gun oil. (Gun oil/3in one machine oil/WD 40/Super Lubricant/Cabela's Muzzle Loading Lube/White Lithium Grease/etc etc etc.... Lubriplate for extreme cold weather. Don't want the oil on the bolt or the hammer or the internals getting stiff and heavy and freezing up on us now, do we?)....

frontiergander
December 15, 2010, 06:50 PM
Barricade would be better. WD40 only gets used on rusty bolts and nuts.

jimmyraythomason
December 15, 2010, 06:53 PM
WD40 only gets used on rusty bolts and nuts. I use it just about everywhere. While I don't shoot BP,metal is metal so not much difference in lubes.

Bluehawk
December 15, 2010, 11:48 PM
It's roughly $1.99 per gallon on sale.
Can't really find a cheaper solvent than that or plain water.

So...you pay $2 a gallon for tap water?? Add to that the cost of gas to get to the store...wear and tear on the vehicle...you are paying more than 2 bucks a gallon!!! Water and soap are far cheaper!
Windshield solvent offers no advantage over soap and water and the alcohol base is poisonous (ethanol, methanol, ethylene glycol...etc)!!!!!

jimmyraythomason
December 16, 2010, 07:43 AM
So...you pay $2 a gallon for tap water?? Add to that the cost of gas to get to the store...wear and tear on the vehicle...you are paying more than 2 bucks a gallon!!! Water and soap are far cheaper!
Windshield solvent offers no advantage over soap and water and the alcohol base is poisonous (ethanol, methanol, ethylene glycol...etc)!!!!! Yeah but I make up the cost difference by using the cheapest ammo,lube,scopes,etc,etc,etc.....that I can find.

kwhi43@kc.rr.com
December 16, 2010, 01:55 PM
Wife picks it up when she buys the food. 1.19 a gal.

TomADC
December 16, 2010, 06:19 PM
I can't think of the name riht now but didn't one of the gun writers use the vinegar based windex that he diluted with water? I'll look and see if I can find it, but I think he spoke against using it straight.

Bluehawk
December 17, 2010, 08:08 PM
Wife picks it up when she buys the food. 1.19 a gal.

I pick it up straight from the tap in the kitchen...less than 1 cent a gallon!!!!

jimmyraythomason
December 17, 2010, 08:21 PM
I pick it up straight from the tap in the kitchen...less than 1 cent a gallon!!!! That's nice. Now factor in the soap,the energy to heat the water(cold is no good) more water to rinse off the soap,the water displacement oil and rust preventer. None of that stuff is needed with w/s washer solvent. All that is left is to re-lube. I use hot soapy water for cleaning because I choose to(or brakekleen)but I can see the simplicity of the W/S washer solvent. It all comes down to what works for you and what you have confidence in. The cost isn't usually the deciding factor.

stanger04
December 17, 2010, 08:28 PM
I see you like WD40, you should really try Ballistol. It works great, stinks though, never gums up and seems to last for ever.

jimmyraythomason
December 17, 2010, 08:33 PM
I see you like WD40, you should really try Ballistol. It works great, stinks though, never gums up and seems to last for ever. I do and it has performed extremely well for me for nearly 4 decades. Plus I can buy it most anywhere and I can't recall ever seeing Ballistol anywhere around here.

mykeal
December 17, 2010, 09:24 PM
...rust preventer. None of that stuff is needed with w/s washer solvent.
Huh? You don't need a rust preventer if you clean with w/s washer solvent? Is that right?

jimmyraythomason
December 17, 2010, 09:27 PM
Huh? You don't need a rust preventer if you clean with w/s washer solvent? Is that right? Not in addition to lube.

stanger04
December 17, 2010, 09:37 PM
If you can't get it local it's pretty cheap to order online, just get a bigger can,lol.

jimmyraythomason
December 17, 2010, 09:55 PM
If you can't get it local it's pretty cheap to order online, just get a bigger can,lol. Why would I want to do that?

Bluehawk
December 17, 2010, 10:48 PM
Now factor in the soap,the energy to heat the water(cold is no good) more water to rinse off the soap,the water displacement oil and rust preventer.

Soap would be less than a penny for a bucket of water! Cold water is no good for cleaning?? Total nonsense!!!! Where do you come up with comments like that??
You don't need a water displacing oil...just dry patches for the bore and dry towels for the exterior then wipe inside and outside with a good oil...and it's done!!!

jimmyraythomason
December 17, 2010, 10:58 PM
Cold water is no good for cleaning?? Total nonsense!!!! Fact. Cold water is a poor cleaner on grease,oil or powder residue. HOT water is the only way to go. I speak from 40 years experience cleaning greasy,cruddy,nasty parts.You don't need a water displacing oil... No you don't ....iF the water is hot enough to evaporate VERY quickly or an air compressor and air nozzle.

andrewstorm
December 17, 2010, 11:05 PM
You must like toxic solutions,cause windshield fluid is poisonous and mildly corrosive,try simple rubbing alcohol,it works great,and it leaves no residue,and Ive gotten fer 2 fer a dollar,smells just like a doctors office,and nobody complains about that smell, 777 is what i shoot,accurate and powerful,and clean in seconds,try it you'll like it,add liquid wrench super oil,to all moving parts,and metal surfaces

Bluehawk
December 17, 2010, 11:10 PM
I have just as many years experience not only with black powder small arms but cannon as well and firework mortars and I can assure you Sir you are mistaken...cold water with soap and a bore brush is very effective in cleaning BP residue and I stand by what I said concerning displacing oil...it is not needed when using cold water. I have a CVA Kentucky barrel and a CVA Colonial pistol...both 30 years old...that can attest to that.

Oyeboten
December 18, 2010, 12:02 AM
I'd like to know more about the relieved aperature seen on the Nipples.

Is this a good thing to do? Does it improve effeciency of the Cap and of Ignition?

45-70 Ranger
December 18, 2010, 12:36 AM
Well this has turned into quite a debate. Over the past 45 years that I've been involved in shootinng BP weapons, I've been kinda old school. Hot soapy water. Lots of dry patches. Oil everything when done.

When real BP became a thing of the past in local shops, I went to Pyrodex. Same cleaning methods were used. Now in the past year I've started using Triple 7. I still use water and dry patches. The oil now is the pump form of RemOil. This coats everything evenly and get into all the cracks and hard to reach spots for me. This applies to ML and C&B revolvers. For my BP Cartridge weapons, I use RemOil and Remington 40X bore cleaner just like in my smokless load cleaning. But the cases are deprimed and dumped into soapy water (Hot) and then scrubbed out with an old nylon bore brush to get the gunk out.

But the use of cold water for cleaning, sure. There have been many a time that I was in the field and had no way to heat water at the time and cold was just as good as getting the fouling out as warm. Often when with my old re-enactment unit, we were shooting blank loads all day and the weapons were filthy! If we had the time, we'd heat up the water, but that was not always possible. So we did the best we could. Our weapons always got clean.

The use of windshield washer sloution is an inventive ideal. I know of a guy that cleaned all his C&B revolvers with Fantastik spray cleaner and his weapons were spotless! That was a real eye opener for this old timer. So if one can get good results from the use of the solution in this thread, great! I, for one, will never scoff or scold another for trying to get his weapons clean and functional. Afterall, if we were happy with what worked long ago, the cartridge would never had been invented, and we'd all be using wheel lock weapons or at best flinters!

Well, that's my 2 cents worth on this matter,

Enjoy the forum. You folks are involved in a great sport/hobby/ passion. Look forward to being involved in this and other discussions.

Wade

Oyeboten
December 18, 2010, 01:51 AM
Last time I shot my WALKER, did about 50 rounds, 'GOEX" Black Powder...using my home made Lube Wafers.

This was like eight Months ago, and I have not cleaned it.

Not one hint of anything remotely resembling 'rust' anywhere on it...just a thin grey haze in the Barrel, which I know will wipe out if I wanted.

It seems, the Bees Wax and Olive Oil 'Wafers', in vaporizing, coat everything just-enough, so that in this clime anyway, it has simply sat out on a Table here in the Work Shop, and been prefectly fine.

It is a Steel Gun of course.

fogg64
December 18, 2010, 01:04 PM
A custom $800 pistol and you clean it with $1.99 a gallon window cleaner?:confused:

jimmyraythomason
December 18, 2010, 01:13 PM
A custom $800 pistol and you clean it with $1.99 a gallon window cleaner?Why not? The dirt and grime that is on the gun doesn't know how much it cost.

kwhi43@kc.rr.com
December 18, 2010, 01:18 PM
I'm planning a future thread on proper nipple design.

fogg64
December 18, 2010, 01:24 PM
Forgot to add: use WD 40.
The dirt and grim may not know what the gun cost but the cleaning and lubrication method have taken a more of a toll on the gun.

jimmyraythomason
December 18, 2010, 01:30 PM
Forgot to add: use WD 40.
The dirt and grim may not know what the gun cost but the cleaning and lubrication method have taken a more of a toll on the gun. Oh,I get it now. Thanks.

Bluehawk
December 18, 2010, 06:36 PM
Speaking of custom...I'm curious as to what was done to your revolver to bring the value up that high?

kwhi43@kc.rr.com
December 18, 2010, 07:49 PM
Here is what I did to it. About 4th post from bottom

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=432966

If you enjoyed reading about "Results of Windshield Washer Cleaning" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!