Lube your sabots???

PDA

x_wrench
December 15, 2010, 10:30 AM
I just finished cleaning my Optima, i shoot almost excluesivly saboted bullets in it. i really never gave it much thought, except a month or so ago, i made up a batch of ed's red + solvent. while reading about it and the ingrediants, i remembered seeing in it that the acetone was for removing plastic shot shell wads, which made me think of the muzzle loader. so after the regular cleaning, i noticed that there were some tight spots still in the barrel when running a clean patch through it. i got out the acetone, and went to work scrubbing it out. but, that got me thinking about lubing the sabots with regular b.p. patch lube (i happen to have a tube of T/C Bore Butter here that i use for long term storage) to reduce the plastic fouling in the barrel. i dont mind cleaning guns, but anything i can do to make it easier is seldom a bad thing. i remember lubing a few at one of my practice sessions to see if they would load easier. it does. but i never did it on a regular basis. i guess i was erring on the cautious side of reducing the burnable power charge. i can not imagine that a glop of this stuff would do a compacted powder charge any good at all. has anyone ever tried doing this on a regular basis? would you do it on a hunting load? i also thought about running a patch that had a small amount of bore butter on it after the bullet/sabot was in place. but i think that might raise pressures to a dangerous point. and i hate pain, and despise hospitals!

If you enjoyed reading about "Lube your sabots???" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
OB One
December 16, 2010, 12:33 PM
Put a small hunk of toilet paper over your powder before you load the lubed sabot.
OB

arcticap
December 16, 2010, 11:01 PM
Some folks swab a tiny amount of lube in the bore after loading the first sabot in a clean bore to simulate a fouled bore. That way the first shot will shoot to the same point of aim as their fouled barrel will.
Unless a real lot of lube is applied and it turns to ice which causes some sort of an obstruction, under normal circumstances using a minimal amount shouldn't raise the pressure enough to be dangerous.

If you enjoyed reading about "Lube your sabots???" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!