Sharps 1874 Firing pin

PDA

Afy
December 16, 2010, 02:23 PM
Broke the firing pin on my Armi Sport 1874. Guess the stress of 60+ grains of Swiss FFFG under a 500 grain bullet was a bit much.

Anyhow finally got my new firing pins via a friend in the US and swapped it out in under five mintes. Cant believe how ridiculously easy it was.

If you enjoyed reading about "Sharps 1874 Firing pin" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
junkman_01
December 16, 2010, 03:52 PM
I don't believe that the load or bullet weight put any more 'stress' on that firing pin than a light load would. It failed for another reason.

Afy
December 16, 2010, 04:01 PM
Its a known issue with the Armi Sport rifles.

junkman_01
December 16, 2010, 04:19 PM
It may be a known issue, but it is certainly not from the load you fire. Maybe the wrong type of metal or a machining issue such as an unrelieved angle, but not the load. The hammer strikes the firing pin the same whether there is a heavy load in the chamber or a light one. The firing pin doesn't know.

If you enjoyed reading about "Sharps 1874 Firing pin" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!