50 BMG load data

PDA

total recoil
December 16, 2010, 05:01 PM
I was using 205 grains of IMR5010 on 647-695 grain fmj bullets and things were going fine till pull down imr5010 became unavailable. Now I have WC867 from Wideners. One letter I saw suggested 220 grains of WC867 as a starting load.
Has any other 50 shooter found any data on this powder? My fingers are tired of scouring the internet looking for dope on this or the AA8700 powder which is similar to 867.
The only comments I can find only say: " boy, that is slow powder." Groan, sure it's slow powder.
Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "50 BMG load data" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Faret
December 16, 2010, 06:13 PM
No Data But I have used 215 gr with no problems. Also have some load data coming from another forum with that powder included. 205 gr for 5010 seems light to me but if it works and gives good accuracy what the heck!

redbullitt
December 16, 2010, 07:16 PM
Im loading the wc 867 with 690g fmjs for messing around. Rifle is an armalite AR50. I started at 205 just because you can never be totally sure with the pull down powder. I have found the best accuracy for my rifle at around 215 grains, but have been up to 220 without pressure signs.

For the price, it works very well.

I would suggest maybe 205 or 210 for a starter? Be sure to remember each batch you get may be different and require you to start at a low charge again.

MrOldLude
December 17, 2010, 10:05 AM
Nothing to input, but the thought of a case eating that much powder makes me shudder.

At 215 grains, you could load 32 rounds with single pound of powder.

total recoil
December 17, 2010, 02:10 PM
Yes Mr. Lude- you just about have to throw powder economy out the window when reloading the 50 BMG! Powder cost is just about insignificant when you figure what your reloading tools cost.
I have also run into another problem that will probably cost me more money! Once in a while I need to pull a bullet or two. I do not have a 50 cal bullet puller, so I put the cartridge in the press, run the bullet out the top of the press... and grab it with a big pair of VICE-GRIPS! Put on safety glasse, say a prayer, and thrust the handle up! It works, but usually leaves marks on the bullet.
I have an RCBS #09440 collet type puller for my Rock Chucker press and I have the adapter so I can use it in my Lee Classic press where I handle my 50 stuff. Rcbs makes a 50 cal collet that works on the short 50 S&W bullets. I'm gonna' buy the collet and see if I can get it to pull big bullets.
Has anyone else tried this?

If you enjoyed reading about "50 BMG load data" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!