Remington Model 33-

PDA

pappy19
December 16, 2010, 05:46 PM
This is a response to an old thread that I found on this forum doing a Google search for the Rem. Model 33. I have one in pristine condition, serial # 191,100. It does not have a rear buckhorn/V sight, not even a tap and plug, but a Lyman peep. I have owned it for about 40 years and bought it at a local gun show. It is a real tack driver. I have seen a couple of other Model 33's but none with a barrel like mine. The blueing is a "mat" finish, not shiney, and the butt plate is metal. Just wondering if anyone else has seen another #33 like this one. Thanks-

Pap

If you enjoyed reading about "Remington Model 33-" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
JohnBT
December 19, 2010, 04:18 PM
I've never seen one like yours, but Remington says they made them.

www.remington.com/products/archived/rimfire/bolt-action/model-33.aspx

Grades Offered:

33A Standard
33A Lyman rear peep sight
33P peep sight
33 N.R.A. Junior Target

Variations:

Model 33 Smooth Bore

788Ham
December 19, 2010, 10:35 PM
Pap,

I got one about a 2 months ago from my brother, when I received it, it wasn't "pristine". It has the metal butt plate, plain front sight, V rear sight w/adjustment bridge under the sight. The barrel has a "mat" finish, if you will, no rust anywhere. The metal has a patina to it, not really shiny, but not a dull finish either. The bore hadn't been cleaned since Noah set sail, the bolt was very dirty, and the stock wasn't dinged at all, just no finish on it.

The bore is now shiny, the stock has had 3 coats of Linseed oil rubbed into it, and has had a good rubbing of Rennisance Wax rubbed into it , then buffed with gunny sack. The bolt was taken apart and cleaned with carb. cleaner and re-oiled {lightly}. The butt plate was removed and cleaned, then lightly buffed, then Cold Bluing paste applied, until it now looks like a respectable firearm. I have only shot one round of 22 short thru it, haven't had it to the range yet to see how accurate it is. My buddy saw it when I got it home, he'd helped with the bolt disassembly/reassembly, when he saw it a couple weeks later, he couldn't believe it was the same rifle.

Where do you find the serial # on the rifle? I've not been able to find one on mine, thanks.

dave284
February 13, 2011, 10:09 PM
to Pappy in Idaho,I also have a model 33 with no dovetail slot just a rear peep. mine is also a tack driver, they are great guns!

LANDMAN4389
June 8, 2011, 11:14 PM
* Old post I know but were all of the Remington 33's smoothbore?

I've never had a smoothbore but how does it affect accuracy?

I assume it won't be able to shoot accurately at range of a similar rifled gun correct?

Ron James
June 9, 2011, 01:12 PM
Landsman, The smoothbore was for .22 shot cartridges.

If you enjoyed reading about "Remington Model 33-" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!