Help me decide...

PDA

john1911
December 18, 2010, 11:51 AM
I'm looking to buy a new 9mm handgun in the next few weeks. The main uses will be for range use, plinking and to have to pass on to my kids some day.

I've narrowed my choices down to the following:
Ruger SR9
Glock 17 (4 gen)
S&W MP9
CZ 75B

I held a Glock 17 the other day, I really liked how it felt. Have no experience with the others.

This time of year, it's hard to find a local gunshop that has all 4 models in stock at the same time. A side by side comparison would be difficult.

Doing my research on these 4 models, I find problems with all of them. I don't know what to think or believe.

Anyone with real experience with any of these, please chime in. Any other models I should be looking at?

Thanks for the help.

If you enjoyed reading about "Help me decide..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
labhound
December 18, 2010, 12:29 PM
I have no experience with the Glock 17 or the S&W MP9. I owned an SR9, good gun but sold it to a friend when I bought my Stoeger Cougar 9mm. I have held the CZ 75B numerous times but never shot one. It fits my hand great and is still on my list of "to buy" guns. My personal 9mm favorite is my Beretta 92FS Inox. Great all around gun and definitely worth passing on to the kids one day.

BlindJustice
December 18, 2010, 12:33 PM
I bought a CZ 75B / 9mm Luger for a less expensive option
than .45 ACP ( 1911 and S&W 625 ). First DA/SA semi-auto
for me and I like the manual thumb safety as an option. Over
time it's proven to be uber reliable, & very accurate. I also like
the grip with the arch of the back of the grip. The stock trigger
has a fairly good reset in SA mode.

Randall

PabloJ
December 18, 2010, 12:36 PM
I'm looking to buy a new 9mm handgun in the next few weeks. The main uses will be for range use, plinking and to have to pass on to my kids some day.

I've narrowed my choices down to the following:
Ruger SR9
Glock 17 (4 gen)
S&W MP9
CZ 75B

I held a Glock 17 the other day, I really liked how it felt. Have no experience with the others.

This time of year, it's hard to find a local gunshop that has all 4 models in stock at the same time. A side by side comparison would be difficult.

Doing my research on these 4 models, I find problems with all of them. I don't know what to think or believe.

Anyone with real experience with any of these, please chime in. Any other models I should be looking at?

Thanks for the help.
I would pick the CZ75B because it is the heaviest. At last gun show i have seen one with red star, hammer & sickle plus some cyrillic text. Not made in CCCP but still pretty cool limited ed $450 item if you ask me. I would also look at much underappreciated world class S&W 5906.

benderx4
December 18, 2010, 01:05 PM
My vote is for the HK P30L, something entirely different. (Otherwise, I'd go for the CZ75b or a Beretta 92FS.)

weisse52
December 18, 2010, 03:20 PM
For your intended purpose:

The main uses will be for range use, plinking and to have to pass on to my kids some day.

I would vote the CZ. I love metal guns... The rest are good guns, but the CZ is just a little different.

chieftain
December 18, 2010, 04:40 PM
I own all the pistols polled along with 70+ more.

I would recommend the S&W M&P. Nothing wrong with the others, just my opinion of the group offered. They are all good and serviceable. If you can shoot and compare them side by side with their different sized grip inserts, then pick the one you are most comfortable with.

Side note: It appears S&W just dropped the price of the M&P a bunch. Seems it might be as much as $150. That should sweeten the pot some. Not sure on all models though.

No really bad choices.

Good luck.

Fred

Fishman777
December 18, 2010, 05:34 PM
M&P

hawkeye10
December 18, 2010, 05:53 PM
:) I voted for the Glock but the M&P is up there too. Don

BlackSky
December 18, 2010, 05:57 PM
Other: Browning Hi Power

Airburst
December 18, 2010, 06:03 PM
S&W 5906, 5903, 659. Any of the S&W stainless autoloaders would do you well.

Laf'n'Larry
December 18, 2010, 08:51 PM
It's got to fit your hand, so why do you care what any of us like? They are all decent guns. Go back to the range/store and get them to break them down to see which looks easiest to maintain. Handle them all. Then, if you can, rent or borrow the one you pick and shoot it before you buy it.

john1911
December 18, 2010, 08:51 PM
Thanks for all the replies.

I forgot to add that my budget will be around $600. I think all my listed choices will come in under that amount.

john1911
December 18, 2010, 08:56 PM
It's got to fit your hand, so why do you care what any of us like? They are all decent guns. Go back to the range/store and get them to break them down to see which looks easiest to maintain. Handle them all. Then, if you can, rent or borrow the one you pick and shoot it before you buy it.

I wish I could. My local shops may have a couple of the listed models in stock at the same time. I'm going to call a pretty well stocked shop when it comes time for the actual purchase. It will be an hour drive (one way) but they should have them all in stock.

I know that it will boil down to my choice, I just want to see what the general consensus is on my potential new gun.

Carter
December 18, 2010, 10:33 PM
With a budget of $600 you can get the SR9 plus accessories and ammo.

My SR9c is a dream to shoot. Its very accurate, reliable, and has a good trigger. I'm sure the fullsize version is just as good.

viking499
December 18, 2010, 10:44 PM
Range gun - CZ or Browning HiPower

CCW - CZ Compact

Tomcat47
December 18, 2010, 11:09 PM
Something Else......but out of the 4 I like the S&W best i suppose.

I would actually just go get a Beretta 92FS. Espescially to leave to my kids. Popularity makes it king and especially heirloom worthy, and it is a very enjoyable plinker.

I have actually been shopping the gun shops for a First Generation Model 39 Smith 9mm. Now thats a fun heirloom to own! Has went down in history as one of the most accurate 9mm pistols ever produced.

Good luck on your purchase, and the one you like will be the best one!

bannockburn
December 19, 2010, 09:02 AM
I voted something else: in this case my choice would be a Browning Hi-Power. Second choice would be some version of the CZ 75.

Water-Man
December 19, 2010, 09:07 AM
Sig P226

MikePaiN
December 19, 2010, 09:11 AM
If I was buying a 9mm range pistol right now, that I also wanted to pass on to my kids. I'd have to decided between a Sig Sauer P229 or Beretta Px4

Ala Dan
December 19, 2010, 09:14 AM
S&W pre-historic (aka: steel frame) model 39; or a West German SIG-SAUER P228~! ;) :D

vaherder
December 19, 2010, 09:38 AM
Walther P99, Sig P226, FnH FNX 9, H&K P30L

My fav P99

Va Herder

dwmilton
December 19, 2010, 10:02 AM
From your list: the CZ.

BUT: I'd personally get what I got when I mulled this exact question over with a similar budget 2 or 3 years ago: EAA Witness Elite Match. The new ones have a rail, if you so desire.

All steel, long-slide 9mm recoils little, and is extremely accurate. Fits smaller hands; my daughters (12 & 14 at the time) handled mine without a problem.

chicharrones
December 19, 2010, 10:30 AM

For your requirements, I personally like metal frame guns better than poly. I have poly guns, but from your poll the CZ would be my choice. :)

hhersh
December 19, 2010, 03:03 PM
Something else = Browning Hi Power....shootable plinkable collectible and definitly inheritable. What's not to love ??

jad0110
December 19, 2010, 04:16 PM
Quote:
The main uses will be for range use, plinking and to have to pass on to my kids some day.

I would vote the CZ. I love metal guns... The rest are good guns, but the CZ is just a little different.

Yep, and for that reason I'd also add a 9mm Hi Power to the list for consideration.

Erik M
December 19, 2010, 05:37 PM
I like the CZ guns, I have a Jericho which is a cousin to them. I also would tell you to look at a Glock 19.

fmcdave
December 19, 2010, 10:42 PM
I guess I would go for the Glock. I have had a good experience with them and they have been very reliable.

However, the other pistols are good as well. As you see from the responses, there is a variability in preference. Everyone is a little different.

So, my advice is to make sure you get to shoot all of the pistols you are considering. Many ranges have rental pistols and you should take them up on that.

I have been very lucky. I worked for a big aluminum kite manufacturer in Seattle with a lot of shooters. We would meet at the range for lunch and bring our pistols (some brought 4). We would get to shoot each other's gun and that gave me a great opportunity to try out a LOT of other pistols.

A gun which works well for one person might not work well for you. You need to figure this out for yourself. Making a decision on which gun to buy based on verbal input from others is like buying shoes over the internet. You won't really know what you got until you get it.
Dave

Marshall
December 19, 2010, 10:50 PM
Something else:

BHP
Sig

varoadking
December 20, 2010, 09:05 PM
Anyone with real experience with any of these, please chime in.

Yes. Buy the Gen4 Glock 17.

Any other models I should be looking at?

No...

ParChaser
December 21, 2010, 03:58 PM
HK P2000 or HK P30 or P30L. YOu can find a used one in the price range you are looking. I made the terrible mistake of passing up on a P30 with 5 magazines at $595 a month ago and didnt get the guys number. 2 weeks later got a P30 for $75 more. I have 2 of these 3 guns and will never sell them as well ass the Beretta 92 Inox and like it as well. 3 pistols I will never part with.

gordy
December 21, 2010, 06:12 PM
I would buy a sig 229, I would want my kid to say great gun dad thanks.:neener:

Thompsoncustom
December 21, 2010, 08:03 PM
I would have to go with the cz 75b hands down, very well build gun and very accurate right out of the box. The only down side is it takes about 1000 rounds to break in the trigger nice or you could spend a couple bucks and get some snap caps to speed things up.

I see that your not looking for it to be your CCW but it is what I use and I don't think its to heavy but that may vary depending on the user. They also make the cz sp-01 which is the 75 format but with a polymer frame and a rail so you can mount a light/laser or w/e.

Overall I think its the best gun for the money there tho glocks are a nice gun I just do not care for them, will be happy to hear what you decide and remeber its all what you like best and fells best to you.

frank c
December 21, 2010, 08:17 PM
Used S&W 3913 or a Kahr PM9.:)

possum
December 23, 2010, 02:28 PM
if glock 19 was on there that would be my first choice. however i would say no to the 17 being a gen 4, i am not liking what i have been seeing on here, and other forums and hearing from folks about the gen 4's. from your list i say go with the m&p.

novalty
December 23, 2010, 03:06 PM
What Airburst said: "S&W 5906, 5903, 659. Any of the S&W stainless autoloaders would do you well."

dcarch
December 23, 2010, 03:09 PM
Go with the CZ 75 Stainless Limited. That would be a great gun to pass down eventually!

john1911
December 24, 2010, 02:41 PM
Thanks for all the input so far.

I'm leaning towards the CZ 75B right now. I'm also going to look at a Beretta 92FS before I purchase. I guess I'm over wanting a plastic gun. :evil:

Will let you all know what I end up with.

wally
December 24, 2010, 05:49 PM
The "pass on to my kids" part makes me vote for the only steel framed gun on your list.

Seems steel pistols are going the way of the dodo, so I think this one would be most appreciated years from now.

Quack
December 24, 2010, 06:02 PM
if it's something to pass on down to your kids, grandkids, etc, i'd get a steel gun, like a Hi-Power or 1911.

If you enjoyed reading about "Help me decide..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!