Questions about Fire Lapping

PDA

JDMorris
December 18, 2010, 04:10 PM
I want to know the advantages and disadvantages of fire lapping a rifle barrel.
I want to improve accuracy in my already decently accurate Howa M-1500 .308
I have been told that "hand lapping" is the way to go, But as some of you may know, I'm 14 and on a pretty tight budget now that I'm unemployed :(
I have also been told that Lapping will reduce copper fouling, and thats a big plus too.
I have been trying the past 2 days to remove ALL the copper from my rifle and yesterday I got almost all of it, Except for one streak in the rifleing.
I'm using Hoppes benchrest, Hoppes #9, WD-40, and Kroil, and Hoppes Elite oil. at different times, along with pieces of cut up Tee shirt, and a Brush at times, I have a 3 piece cleaning rod, and it works, alright, I'm about to wrap it in electrical tape like a Member posted about doing his.
BACK on topic, I want to know your opinions about fire lapping and Hand lapping and How much they really will decrease a .308's barrel life.
Or If I should just use a different copper solvent/cleaning methods.
Thanks guys. _J.D.M

If you enjoyed reading about "Questions about Fire Lapping" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
If you enjoyed reading about "Questions about Fire Lapping" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!