W00T! Gainful Employment!

PDA

Justin
January 24, 2003, 01:31 AM
After a good 6 months of searching for a job in the 3d graphics/post production industry, I've finally landed work.
I've been hired as a Production Assistant for the local ABC affiliate! The job isn't exactly what I wanted, but it's cool nonetheless. Since the station is fairly small, it looks like I'll eventually have the chance to wear a buncha different hats. (Gotta get the hang of the Chyron first...)

Oh, and to keep this gun-related, I'll finally be able to join the NRA.

Also, I can start puttin' dough away for my next piece.

Hmmm...
Baikal IZH 35...
CZ75...
Shorty AR...
Mateba?!

I can once again drool like I mean it!:D :D :D :D :D :D

If you enjoyed reading about "W00T! Gainful Employment!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
BamBam
January 24, 2003, 01:39 AM
Congrats!
I hope that working with the libs dosen't rub off on you. :uhoh:

Justin
January 24, 2003, 01:48 AM
Heh.
Awhile back, I made it through a 3-month internship with MSNBC in the PRNJ.

And I came out even more bent on liberty than when I went in.

As for the new job, I don't think there'll be too much trouble, what with them airing ads for the gunshow this weekend and all. (I think the ad even had a short clip of a suppressed AR...)

1badmagnum
January 24, 2003, 02:18 AM
times are tough.very happy about you finding employment.
here in ohio they are calling the budget deficit the perfect storm,which means raising taxes again,plus more taxes on cigs,alcohol and ammo is next.
WHY DONT THEY TAX FREAKIN HUMMERS,BMW AND LEXUS SHESH.:banghead: :cuss: :fire:

Justin
January 24, 2003, 02:46 AM
times are tough.very happy about you finding employment.
Thank you! :)

WHY DONT THEY TAX FREAKIN HUMMERS,BMW AND LEXUS SHESH. Because they tried that a few years ago and it was an abysmal failure. The so-called 'luxury tax' was a fanstastic way to drive manufacturers of luxury goods right out of business.

I'd be happier if they simply cut some gov't programs (let's say, oh, 51% of them, for starters) and reduced taxes.

Seeker
January 24, 2003, 02:48 AM
Congradulations Justin!

I know what you been goin' through.

I had been largely unemployed for the last 18 months - I've had a few IT contracts, realized that It wasn't the biz to be in in the Willamette Valley. Choose a new career- path in insurance claims and started my first job in the field Monday. It is a little unreal to be employed with a permament job instead of short-term contracts and weird not being IT any more and having to learn job. But Oh So Good! to e gainfully employed and able to hold my head up again.

Justin
January 24, 2003, 02:57 AM
Thanks Seeker! :)

Yeah, right now just seems to be a bad time for high-tech. My degree is in computer graphics (3d animation, digital post prod. and such) and that market has become even more saturated and competitive than it was before the market tanked. (Most post houses are now asking for between 2-5 years experience before they'll even consider you!)

And I totally hear you about being able to hold my head up again. It's sort of like a big burden lifted off of my shoulders when I signed the forms that make me a formal employee.

(Interestingly enough, I had to sign a form that stated I would not take payola!)

SADshooter
January 24, 2003, 09:28 AM
Feels good, doesn't it? ;)

I've been at my job a little over a month after more than a year of unemployment. Wife, change of scene, positive cash flow, it's all good.

Blackhawk
January 24, 2003, 09:46 AM
Congratulations, Justin! :D

It sounds like you found the type of job you wanted with an employer who's going to be easy to get along with!

Best wishes! :neener:

Mauserlady
January 24, 2003, 09:48 AM
I hope that working with the libs dosen't rub off on you.

Someone very strong in their beliefs won't be rubbed off on.

I have been working with the same liberal Hollywood types longer than I've been a shooter and I still get stronger in my stance everyday and am actually making them think about things in a new light and have changed ones mind re: gun control.

Congrats. Justing and good luck with your new job.

Chris Rhines
January 24, 2003, 09:51 AM
Hell yeah. Congratulations, Justin.

Now will this new job put you in a position to insert short clips into ABC shows? :D

- Chris

Waitone
January 24, 2003, 10:40 AM
Good on ya!

I've been out too long. I refuse drop my head in shame because quite frankly s**t happens and the measure of character is how you deal with trouble. I will get through this and I will be a better man for it.

4v50 Gary
January 24, 2003, 11:00 AM
On behalf of the legion of American taxpayers, welcome to the ranks!

falconer
January 24, 2003, 11:00 AM
Congrats man.

I get to start the job hunt again after pistol season is over. This whole campus job thing is killing me financially. Thats one of the reasons I doubt I compete on the varsity team next year. Once I finish up my CCNA and find a new job, I should be able to finally afford that Walther GSP BlackMagic.

Since you are now employed and all, does this mean I can mooch off ya when I finally get my butt out to Colorado Springs?

El Tejon
January 24, 2003, 12:38 PM
Way to go, Justin. However, I note that you failed to inform us of the most important matter: Is the weather girl cute?

Soap
January 24, 2003, 01:15 PM
Congrats! I'm so happy that you finally found something! :D

WHY DONT THEY TAX FREAKIN HUMMERS,BMW AND LEXUS SHESH.

Well we have a "gas guzzler" tax on certain luxury cars. For example, a Mercedes-Benz S500 has one that is around $1500 and IIRC the Bentley Azure has one that is around $5500.

Frohickey
January 24, 2003, 01:46 PM
Congratulations, Justin.

Now, when are you going to ask the Human Resources department of the local ABC affiliate that you want to start a "social" club. You know, the kind that meets at the nearby shooting range. :D

LMSG30
January 24, 2003, 02:00 PM
Congrats!!

I'm an Avid editor/Motion graphics person/shooter and have been looking for another position in the field for a couple of years.

Go for the gusto...the jobs are very few indeed!

LMSG30

Zundfolge
January 24, 2003, 02:19 PM
Congradulations Justin ... now you can't stay up all nigh on the computer and sleep all day though :p

Yeah, right now just seems to be a bad time for high-tech.
Especially here in the Springs.

blades67
January 24, 2003, 02:35 PM
Good on ya!

chaim
January 24, 2003, 02:53 PM
Gee, amazing how many of us are unemployed or "under employed" here. I guess that's why so many of us are getting such high post counts:neener: .

Anyway, congrats Justin and others who posted about recently acquired jobs.

I certainly understand the frustration. I got my degree in psychology about 2 years ago. I ended up taking a job in management for a short time and hated it (my experience was in sales of various types and in banking so I found that easier to get into and I went through a period where I resisted the kind of work I wanted due to the fact that it requires tons of school, many years of grad school and additional "continueing ed", yet doesn't pay much). After only a few months I left to break into the field I wanted (child mental health) so I could get some experience to get into grad school. I found that in my area there are pretty much no BA level mental health jobs right now unless you have a BA in social work or you are willing to volunteer (even minimum wage jobs in the field have too much competition to get without substantial experience, and I found some volunteer jobs didn't even need anyone).

In my backup, special ed, I can't get a perminant job because I'm not certified (well, it is very difficult to get a teaching job, but technically it isn't impossible). Very frustrating, a 22 year old kid with a newly minted degree with no experience other than one semester of student teaching can get a job teaching kids and I'm not considered qualified because my degree is in psych. That's with a year of substitute teaching experience including a few months of long-term sub experience in which you are the teacher doing all that the regular teachers do with little or no help or direct supervision, unlike a student teacher, (i.e. I have classroom experience, real life experience writing lesson plans, dealing with parents, grading papers, classroom management experience, etc.). I am 32 and have plenty of work experience in business (with subbing and as a "head counselor" at a summer camp I also have paid experience w/ kids) and volunteer experience in politics and with kids (i.e. I have the "life experience" and maturity that the ed field plays so much lip service to valueing). As a psych major who concentrated on child psych and human development plus took quite a few ed and special ed courses I have about as much academic preparation for the field, and maybe more, as a newly minted B.Ed (Bachelors of Education). Yet that kid with the ed degree, no life experience and only 3 months of student teaching experience is somehow more qualified because his/her degree led directly to certification :fire: :banghead:. Anyway, I guess that rant is over.

This economy hurts all of us. Many lose jobs (here in MD many mental health clinics closed causing a crisis for community mental health clients and a glut of experienced BA level practitionors, thanks to the former Dem governor), if you are out of work most fields are more competitive due to more people being out of work and looking for work, fewer potential employers since busineses and organizations have closed, and less funds/business for those orgs and businesses that survive.

I am a 32 year old college grad with great GRE scores (for getting into grad school), a decent GPA (useful for grad school or jobs) and great PRAXIS scores (for trying to get a teaching job) who is stuck substitute teaching (low pay and unstable scheduling, i.e. you may work everyday for two months and then not have more than a day or two a week for the next month or two- I could have done it while in school but didn't because I needed then more stability) and I'm delivering pizza (very humbling considering I stopped, "perminantely" I thought, a decade ago) in a not so good area in a no CCW state.

To my eyes this looks like a very good time to go to graduate school.

Monkeyleg
January 24, 2003, 05:41 PM
Congratulations, Justin. It's been a rough year or so for a lot of us.

Let's hope that 2003 is better, we all work full-time, and buy lots of toys!

And let's hope that the tax cut goes through so that 50% of what we make doesn't get sent to the gubmint.

Pendragon
January 24, 2003, 05:48 PM
I am another person on here who is underemployed.

Our income is HALF what it was a year ago and we have pretty much burned through our cushion over the last year.

The thing that sucks is how the tax laws works - we bought a house, and when I got laid off, we took an equity loan to pay off some bills and get out of our car - now, even if we wait the full 2 years to sell, we have to buy another house within 2 years or we get hit with capital gains which is 28% of the equity.

We finally had very good credit established and now we are worried it is all going to go to heck if we get behind on bills or something.

We would be ok, except that as a contractor, I have to pay my own medical which is almost $600 a month - I have a wife and a baby so I cant really live without it. We would be so much better off just paying for health care as we use it if it was available at market prices but that is impossible these days. Not saying I want socialized medicine, just that people do not realize how much insurance really costs since they usually do not pay for it - or, like me in my last job, "it's only $46 a month!" - HA!

What we have really come to realize is that most people are only a paycheck or two away from being totally destroyed financially. Everything is fine as long as you keep your job, but if you lose that income, most people are going to crash hard. We are going to try to live much under our means and build a much better cushion of 6 months expenses.

My biggest mistake was in assuming that my underemployment was a very temporary situation. We continued to spend and live like we had before - all the while thinking it was a matter of a few weeks or maybe a few months before I got back to where I was before. If we had gone into crunch mode earlier, we would be in much better shape.

As much as I dislike California, I was content to live here when the tech market was booming - sure the cost of living was higher, but I made such good money that it did not matter. Now, the pay is much more average, but the COL and especially housing keeps going up and up. If you are going to make average money, you should live where the COL is much lower...

dustind
January 24, 2003, 07:46 PM
i am also job searching, im 20 years old, in college(computer programming), looking for night/weekend work. I have a bad back injury from my last job at walmart so i cant lift a thing, what do you guys think is better, sales guy at a place like office max, or working at a gas station, either way im takeing a ugly pay hit.

congratulations justin on the job

Pendragon
January 24, 2003, 08:25 PM
If you are young and still in school, go with what pays the best - then go with the best working environment, then down the line, etc.

In theory, you can make a lot more money in sales than about anything else this side of pro athletes and movie stars.

In practice, the person who can make a good living in comission only sales is a rare bird.

Soap
January 24, 2003, 08:46 PM
Double tap.

Soap
January 24, 2003, 08:47 PM
chaim- Economically speaking, education goes up when the economy goes down. This is because things happen like the things that are happening to you. Your opportunity cost of going to college right now is low, so I would say that you should seriously consider going back to school.

I suppose that my strategy was to pick a major that is fairly broad and one that will allow me to work with virtually any organization. Even so, I've still had a tough time finding a summer internship...looks like its time to read more Machiavelli :D

chaim
January 25, 2003, 08:23 PM
chaim- Economically speaking, education goes up when the economy goes down. This is because things happen like the things that are happening to you. Your opportunity cost of going to college right now is low, so I would say that you should seriously consider going back to school. Yup, I know all about that. When the economy is bad, graduate school applications go up. In many fields that isn't that big a deal if you did decently in college. In psychology where you need a minimum GPA of 3.5 to have a chance at a good doctorate program even in good times it really is a bad thing to have applications increase and become even more competitive (since the number accepted usually doesn't go up). I'll be applying to school psychology and counseling masters programs for next year and applying for a doctorate after I finish (maybe the economy will be better by then and fewer people will try to get into the very limited number of slots) and I'll be applying for a masters in special ed as a fall back if I can't go to any of the psychology schools. As it is, in good times my GPA, while quite good for most other fields, is only good enough for a decent chance at average quality masters programs in my intended field. It's too bad that I'm not interested in a law degree or an MBA, my grades would give me a pretty good chance at the good schools and I'd be a shoo in at the average and slightly higher than average quality schools.

Ian
January 25, 2003, 09:47 PM
Hey, congratulations Justin! Way to go!

Soap
January 25, 2003, 10:33 PM
chaim- Good fortune in your academic adventures!

Justin
January 26, 2003, 02:35 PM
Wow. Thanks for all the replies!
I have been working with the same liberal Hollywood types longer than I've been a shooter and I still get stronger in my stance everyday and am actually making them think about things in a new light and have changed ones mind re: gun control.Ye gods! And you're in CA! Talk about having your work cut out for ya! But I agree, I'm to a point where on all the important issues my mind is pretty well made up.Now will this new job put you in a position to insert short clips into ABC shows? Probably not. The stuff I'm doing is thrown together about an hour or so before the nooze airs. And the director sits right behind me. I'm gonna try to plant a seed to convince them that I should be allowed to redo their motion graphics. In that case, there's no telling what might end up in the specularity or reflection maps.:evil: I will get through this and I will be a better man for it. Waitone, that's a good outlook to have. The only thing that worked for me was persistence. I landed this job because I just happened to come along at the right time. (My Dad kept telling me that it's all just a numbers game and that something was bound to show up as long as I persisted.)On behalf of the legion of American taxpayers, welcome to the ranks! Hehehehe...Does this mean that I can officially grumble about my tax burden now?;) Since you are now employed and all, does this mean I can mooch off ya when I finally get my butt out to Colorado Springs? Falconer-there's been some talk from the Purdue contingent about a Spring Break road trip. All y'all should come out here. I'll show you the mountains and stuff. *points out window* See, they're right there!Way to go, Justin. However, I note that you failed to inform us of the most important matter: Is the weather girl cute? El T-We don't have a weather girl. :( However, we do have some girls who work in Master Control and in sound, and they are both talented and cute. :)Congrats! I'm so happy that you finally found something! I bet you are! You won't have to listen to me grumbling via AIM any more!:p Now, when are you going to ask the Human Resources department of the local ABC affiliate that you want to start a "social" club. You know, the kind that meets at the nearby shooting range. Frohickey- First thing's first. I will attempt to join their culture and gain their trust. Once that has been done...I'm an Avid editor/Motion graphics person/shooter and have been looking for another position in the field for a couple of years. COOL! I haven't done much professional motion graphics stuff, but I will say that I enjoy doing it, and would like to move back toward doing that sort of work.Congradulations Justin ... now you can't stay up all nigh on the computer and sleep all day though. Heh. Funny that...I'm working the 3-11 shift, so I'll be up late on the computer, 'cept now I get paid for it. :-D

Chaim-It sounds like now might be a good time for grad school. My Mom has gotten back into teaching, and had a bear of a time finding work. She said that the best way to make a positive impression at a teaching interview is to learn all the current buzzwords and use them a bunch.

Monkeyleg- And how!

Pendragon-I hope you're able to find something. The only thing I found that seemed to get results was to do some research on the web about a co, find a name, go there and ask to speak to the person. After a couple of months of nothing, I gave up on Monster, Flipdog, HotJobs, and all the other online 'find a job' websites. They were all pretty useless.what do you guys think is better, sales guy at a place like office max, or working at a gas station, either way im takeing a ugly pay hit.

congratulations justin on the jobTry Office Max. It's probably a little bit better of a job as far as working cond. etc. If it's an actual sales job where you make dough based on commission, go for that. Commission sales is really tough work (mentally) but can pay well.

Zundfolge
January 26, 2003, 03:30 PM
However, we do have some girls who work in Master Control and in sound, and they are both talented and cute.

Talented? nudge, nudge, say no more ;)

Don Gwinn
January 26, 2003, 03:50 PM
I'm underemployed, and lemme tell ya, it beats the hell out of unemployed. We were getting to the end of options, and Hardee's was starting to look better.

Right now, I work for StateNet ( http://www.statenet.com ) writing reports. When the Illinois General Assembly begins holding committee sessions next Wednesday I'll be sitting in the committees taking notes on all the legislation, who testifies, which legislators say what, and what the votes are. Then I'll write brief reports on each and send 'em to the website. The pay is horrible, there are no benefits, and the hours are pretty thin since the legislature doesn't work an honest man's schedule.
On the other hand, I'm already learning a lot about politics and the way the legislature really works. Should be interesting, at least at times.

El Tejon
January 26, 2003, 04:48 PM
Don, don't eat before driving over to Springfield. Oh, man, here comes Blojo.

Sven
January 26, 2003, 09:33 PM
Congrats on finding work.

My vote (not that you REALLY asked) is for a CZ75, with Hakan grips:

http://www.imageseek.com/hakan/birch_small.jpg
Custom Grips by Hakan (http://www.imageseek.com/hakan)

Why? It's all about bang for the buck.

Bog
January 28, 2003, 08:21 AM
Way to go Justin! I've been looking at Chiron CGs recently - turns out that one of their main resellers is in the same town as me. Fun!

That's outstanding, though - and trust me, the multi-hat-wearing is far better in terms of fun-and-learning than just sitting in the pixel-farm churning out idents :D

Big Love,

Bog

Steve Smith
January 28, 2003, 10:13 AM
Justin, I'm sorry I just found this post. Of course, I've told you congrats over the phone but I wanted to do it here as well. Now you can start makin' some scratch for reloading, some travel to matches, and most of all, womenz. Next step, you own pad.

YOU NEED TO INTRODUCE ME TO THE MASTER CONTROL/AUDIO GIRLS. (wavy fingers and hypno sound)

falconer
January 28, 2003, 03:11 PM
Justin,

Spring break road trip? Bah!!! I'll be at Ft. Benning the week of finals for Nationals, then I'll be going to Panama City Beach for spring break. However, Jess and I were talking about going out to the OTC for the Junior Olympic Championships to do some recruiting. We think the team might be able to pay for it assuming we can get classified as student coaches. I think the match is sometime in April. I'll keep you posted.

If you enjoyed reading about "W00T! Gainful Employment!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!