revolver problem

PDA

gun addict
December 19, 2010, 07:46 PM
Okay, so i picked up a 357 dan wesson from the local gunshow for a reasonable price. When i took it to the range the thing would shoot on single action (manual cocking) and it is ridiculously accurate . On double action though there would be 4 cylinders where the round gets dented off center/lightlighly and would not ignite. I then put the revolver into single and it shot just dandy

How big of a problem is this? Is it dangerous now to just shoot in on SA? How and whom should i contact to get it fixed? I really hate to see this one go, it's an early Monson revolver with beautiful blueing, walnut grip, and a heavy nonvented barrel

oh yeah and again, most accurate pistol i've shot up to date

If you enjoyed reading about "revolver problem" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Waywatcher
December 19, 2010, 08:09 PM
From what you describe it could be one of two problems.

With the gun unloaded, slooooooooowly pull the trigger double action. Does the cylinder stop moving before or after the hammer fall? (Timing)

If the cylinder locks up before the hammer falls, it is probably a weak mainspring. This would be much easier to fix--Order a new mainspring.

Also, make sure there's nothing inside the works slowing it down, like lint or something.

Lucky Derby
December 19, 2010, 08:16 PM
Sounds like it needs a new mainspring.

gun addict
December 19, 2010, 08:21 PM
thanks for the quick reply

i did the testing and it would seem the cylinder stops moving and locks up RIGHT before the hammer fall, so my question is if it's the problem with main spring how come it shoots perfectly on single action but not double?

9mmepiphany
December 19, 2010, 08:25 PM
Because the hammer falls further from the SA sear than the DA sear position

Waywatcher
December 19, 2010, 08:27 PM
Because the hammer has a longer distance to fall and pick up speed when it is cocked single action.

You will notice if you pull the trigger double action the hammer doesn't come back as far as if you cock it manually.

A new mainspring and a through cleaning will cure it!

gun addict
December 19, 2010, 08:52 PM
Whoo! If that's all the problem i would be very happy. I've heard due to the design Dan Wesson's revolver could cause powder accumulation in the cylinder and cause some kind of bind? Im very familar with auto loaders but have no idea how to disassemble a revolver or its springs

9mmepiphany
December 19, 2010, 09:13 PM
I've heard due to the design Dan Wesson's revolver could cause powder accumulation in the cylinder and cause some kind of bind?
I think you are referring to the powder deposited in the chambers, or under the ejection star, when you fire .38 Spls in a .357 Mag...it is a problem common to all revolvers, not just the DWs.

An issue with DWs that does exist is that they don't take kindly to having their internals polished excessively due to the metal structure of their action parts

ArchAngelCD
December 20, 2010, 03:04 AM
Whoo! If that's all the problem i would be very happy. I've heard due to the design Dan Wesson's revolver could cause powder accumulation in the cylinder and cause some kind of bind? I'm very familiar with auto loaders but have no idea how to disassemble a revolver or its springs
If you don't know how to fix the revolver yourself I suggest taking it to a competent Gunsmith. You will save money in the long run if you break or lose something.

If you enjoyed reading about "revolver problem" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!