Pedersoli Frontier 36cal

PDA

WALKERs210
December 19, 2010, 10:05 PM
I have had this rifle hanging on the wall for a while now and today I decided that it was time to shoot it. The gun was made in 1995 and I am the second owner of it and as of today the first to fire it. My first thought was fire a few rounds, clean it and and offer it for sale to someone that would actually use it and not just hang on the wall. I must say first that I need thinner patches but other than that this is one sweet rifle. Was not shooting for accuracy just as long as I hit the target. Now it just might hang on my wall for a little longer.

If you enjoyed reading about "Pedersoli Frontier 36cal" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Robert Wilson
December 19, 2010, 10:11 PM
Mine is not the finest quality firearm I own, but it's not the worst, and it works very well. I have good success with .345 balls, in lieu of thin patches.

WALKERs210
December 19, 2010, 10:44 PM
Didn't know that they made .345 shot, should have know but I didn't guess I need to look for either molds or shot. thanks

arcticap
December 19, 2010, 11:51 PM
I need thinner patches

The Pedersoli manual recommends a .354 ball and a .010 patch for the Frontier rifle and a powder charge volume of between 30 - 50 grains.
Once a mallet is used with a longer starter or a section of dowel to gently start and tap, tap, tap the ball part way down the bore, it can become considerably easier to ram it the rest of the way home afterward.
A rubber ramrod gripper and/or ramrod handle can also provide a better grip and increased leverage to assist with ramming.
It's nice to hear that you had some fun shooting it. :)

WALKERs210
December 20, 2010, 12:28 AM
thanks for the heads up Arcticap, I was using .350 with .010 patch. Only ram rod I had was the wood that came with it and didn't want to break it. But yes after a certain distance it did become easier to seat the ball. It is a hoot to shoot.

Robert Wilson
December 23, 2010, 08:47 PM
Well hell, if we're bringing mallets to the range we might as well just stock up on .58 caliber balls. They can be hammered into any smaller bore we have handy!

Walker, I got bunch of swaged .345 balls from a guy/company named "Warren" years ago. I don't know if he/they are still around, but the boxes say "Ozone, Arkansas 72854" on them. Good luck!

WALKERs210
December 23, 2010, 09:56 PM
Robert thanks a lot I found both the molds and cast balls from TOW and have them on the way now. Don't think I want to hammer one in that tight most likely will work like a champ but my luck it would get stuck about 2 inches down the tube.

Robert Wilson
December 23, 2010, 10:43 PM
FWIW, I read an article a decade or so back in which the author claimed there was no point in "tight" fitting patch/ball combinations that had to be forced into the bore. He wrote that using a combination that fit the grooves was just as accurate, and easy to seat with just the ramrod. After experimenting over the years, I agree with him.

These days when I get a new muzzle loader I ram an oversize ball a few inches into the bore, retrieve it with a screw, and measure the groove diameter. Then I choose a ball/patch combination that measures as close to that as possible, ie. a .365 bore gets a .345 ball with a .010 patch.

WALKERs210
December 23, 2010, 10:57 PM
Did a quick google and found Warren Muzzleloaders in Ozone, Arkansas. No web site but did have street address and phone number so that is another one to mark in the book. Thanks again

If you enjoyed reading about "Pedersoli Frontier 36cal" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!