School Me On "Pocket Nines"

PDA

doc540
December 20, 2010, 08:59 PM
Local fellow is offering one for sale with 2 mag's and no box.

Says the condition is excellent, but I won't confirm the condition until I put my hands on it until tomorrow.

He's asking a little south of $800, but money is the last issue to deal with.

Is it a good eventual re-seller?

Is it a good carry piece?

Is it a good Colt?

Thanks for you help.

If you enjoyed reading about "School Me On "Pocket Nines"" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
cobblestone
December 20, 2010, 09:20 PM
uhh what is it?

jetboater
December 20, 2010, 09:38 PM
Colt made them for less than a year in 1999 and stopped production due to a lawsuit by Kahr claiming patent infringement.
I had one--the pros---they are a very nice gun--I found it had extremely soft recoil for its size and easy to carry though the rubber grips sometimes hang up on clothing.
cons---very limited parts availability so if something breaks, you're at the mercy of a gunsmith who can fabricate parts. extra magazines are hard to find but Brownells had a supply of new old stock a couple of years ago and may stlll have some
If you do a google search, you should be able to find a review Ayoob did when they first came out---he liked it a lot.
It's a great gun but IMHO, probably more for a collector than an everyday carry gun because of its rarity. (though I'm sure some people carry them everyday)
if you look on gunbroker, good used ones run 700-900 and NIB ones run 1100+

gb6491
December 20, 2010, 09:40 PM
I remember them, but never owned or fired one. The rubber grips seemed bulky for a pocket gun. Fit and finish was commensurate with other Colts pistols of the day. I don't believe they were in production for very long, so parts might be an issue.
For those interested, a quick google turned up these threads on on the Pocket Nine:
http://www.rohrbaughforum.com/YaBB.cgi?board=Other;action=display;num=1091153937
http://www.shooterslegacy.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7132&start=0
Regards,
Greg

doc540
December 20, 2010, 10:30 PM
Thanks....just the personal experience info I'm looking for.

PabloJ
December 21, 2010, 12:16 AM
Local fellow is offering one for sale with 2 mag's and no box.

Says the condition is excellent, but I won't confirm the condition until I put my hands on it until tomorrow.

He's asking a little south of $800, but money is the last issue to deal with.

Is it a good eventual re-seller?

Is it a good carry piece?

Is it a good Colt?

Thanks for you help.
It's one of the best pistols Colt has ever made. I paid close to $600 for new one when they were made so it was pretty expensive pistol to begin with.

9mmepiphany
December 21, 2010, 02:26 AM
They seemed well made, but due to their short production life, I would think one would fall more into the collector class than the user class...unless you have someone who can make parts for it if some break.

I do seem to remember Kahr putting an end to the Pocket Nine production...and would offer that a Kahr K9 would be a more dependable gun, with a superior trigger, and the CW9 a lighter one for about $250 less

If you enjoyed reading about "School Me On "Pocket Nines"" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!