SKS with Peep sight

PDA

JohnnyCal55
December 21, 2010, 12:57 AM
Im thinking about picking up an SKS to use as a truck gun. I was wondering how the accuracy was affected by adding a peep sight.

Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "SKS with Peep sight" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Andrew Wyatt
December 21, 2010, 01:01 AM
the SKS tech sight is the best investment i have ever made in an accessory for a firearm.

henschman
December 21, 2010, 02:00 AM
It vastly improves the practical accuracy that is achievable with the rifle, as well as decreasing the time it takes to get on target.

Tech Sights have been described by many shooters to be the best money you can spend on such a rifle.

bigfatdave
December 21, 2010, 02:33 AM
Tech Sights have been described by many shooters to be the best money you can spend on such a rifle.

Love mine!
I won't debate the merits of a "truck gun", but adding a peep and about a foot of sighting radius can't hurt, you'll get the feel of it in the first couple range trips.
There's a reason that militaries issue peeps, they're easy to learn and quite useful for practical shooting at reasonable distances ... I've gone almost all peep and dumped scopes on everything I have, MrsBFD clings to her scope on a mini-14 that's never been past 100 yards, and that's the only one left.

wnycollector
December 21, 2010, 07:27 AM

+1 on that one! I shoot clay birds at 120 yards with my SKS now that I have the Tech-Sight on them!

mljdeckard
December 21, 2010, 07:39 AM
Oh yes. I have never benched it to and gotten thr ruler out to see the literal difference it made, because it's really not that kind of gun. But I can certainly tell you, it makes it a LOT easier to ding those gongs. I got the tech sight, and I added a thinner front sight post. MUCH better.

sig220mw
December 21, 2010, 05:01 PM
Which tech sights do you guys have. The ts100 or ts200 and which do you like best?

Andrew Wyatt
December 21, 2010, 05:11 PM
the TS100 is what i use.

wnycollector
December 21, 2010, 05:50 PM
TS100 here also. If you buy the TS100, you can always upgrade it to a TS200 for less than $20.

sig220mw
December 21, 2010, 06:59 PM
Next question, I have a russian sks and the disassembly pin on the rear of the receiver cannot be completely taken out. Am I wrong and there is a way to remove it or do I need to have a gunsmith take it out. This is where the mounting pin for the tech sight needs to be.

LeverGunJunkie
December 21, 2010, 10:14 PM
I had the same issue with my Norinco SKS-D. I took out my dremmel with a cutting disk and sheared off the 'tit'. Big committment, but once I put that tech site (TS100) on, and took it to the range, I knew I made the right choice. You won't regret it. A gunsmith can do it, but I'm not a handy guy, and I was able to take the pin out. If you don't have a dremmel, I think a file would work fine.

Like the other guys, I can't recommend the tech site enough...it saved me from turning around and selling mine 3 days after I bought it.

Tom609
December 21, 2010, 11:19 PM
These are another option. I have them on the SKS and Mosin. Excellent improvement...

http://www.mojosights.com/

chicharrones
December 21, 2010, 11:31 PM
I have a Mojo on my SKS after trying a Williams rear peep first. The Williams peep was a loose sloppy fit on my SKS and wouldn't hold windage due to that.

The Mojo is good because you don't have to remove it to take off the bolt carrier cover on the SKS. However, the Mojo peep is so far from the eye I am not really more accurate with it compared to the stock SKS sights. The Mojo is faster than the stock sights though.

http://bestsmileys.com/freak/5.gif

bigfatdave
December 22, 2010, 01:04 AM
Am I wrong and there is a way to remove it or do I need to have a gunsmith take it out. Some variants will have a smaller pin in that rear assembly pin, some will require grinding. Mine required surgery to remove.

About 5 minutes with a good file did mine, if I had to go back to the original I'd just drill and pin where the nub was, it was a different, softer metal than the main pin as far as I could tell.

sig220mw
December 22, 2010, 01:18 AM
One more question, do you need to remove the sks rear sight in order to use the tech sight?

bigfatdave
December 22, 2010, 01:28 AM
I removed mine, I think it was in the way but don't remember specifically.
But in theory all three sights (front, rear, tech way to the rear) would be in the same line, so the stock rear would get annoying unless you adjusted both the front and tech sight up.

Andrew Wyatt
December 22, 2010, 03:25 AM
These are another option. I have them on the SKS and Mosin. Excellent improvement...

http://www.mojosights.com/

Mojo sights are absolutely not an improvement. they don't increase the sight radius, and they entirely eliminate any range adjustment.

mljdeckard
December 22, 2010, 12:19 PM
I took the original rear out of mine. It's held in by a leaf spring, and it took four hands to do it, but it was getting in the way.

bigfatdave
December 22, 2010, 02:45 PM
I took the original rear out of mine. It's held in by a leaf spring, and it took four hands to do it, but it was getting in the way.
Interesting.
Mine wouldn't come out until I got really angry at it, I think it was lubricated by profanity and I somehow was able to curse in a Slavic language while filing out the nub on the assembly pin and while removing that sight.

Worth it, though. Took the SKS from a rifle I couldn't gauge the abilities of to a rifle I can shoot well, I'm not fighting the sights any more so the rest comes naturally.

wnycollector
December 22, 2010, 03:52 PM
I watched this video entitled "Installation of Beryl Style Scope Mount" here http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-template/Videos-and-Links/Page Once you watch the video and locate a wooden ruler sight removal is much easier. I have removed the rear sights on two SKS', a saiga, a mosin nagant and a Mak-90 thus far using this method.

henschman
December 22, 2010, 07:12 PM
Yes, you should remove the rear sight for optimal sight picture. The Tech Sights come with some instructions for removing the factory rear sight. It is a method that works pretty well. It involves wrapping shoelace or wire or something around the rifle a few times, which gives you something to pry against with a screwdriver to take the pressure off the leaf spring under the sight while you slide the tangent out of it's slot. They also give you a retaining pin to put in the tangent's place so it keeps the spring in the mechanism.

As has been said, Mojo sights do not add sight radius, and do not work like a true peep sight should. A peep sight works by having the rear sight extremely close to the eye, so it is almost not even noticed. It makes lining up the sights quicker than with notch sights, because you do not even think about the position of the rear sight for the most part... your eye naturally wants to put the front post in the greatest point of light, which is in the middle of the aperture.

I went with the TS-200 on my AK, because I wanted to have elevation adjustment at the rear sight, because it adjusts in nice 1 MOA clicks, and because I wanted to be able to adjust elevation without a special front sight tool (you can use a bullet tip on the rear sight).

Tom609
December 22, 2010, 10:21 PM
Mojo sights are absolutely not an improvement.

With my eyes and my SKS it is an improvement over the stock sight. Absolutely.

Ignition Override
December 23, 2010, 12:39 AM
You guys persuaded my to buy a Tech Sight for my Norinco SKS in the near future.

Just a question. Are your shot groups clearly better at 100 yards, or mostly at 50?
Most of my SKS shots are within about 50-80 yards on a sand bar, from a high river bank.
Now...at the Range, from just 50 yards, the group was really bad during the last attempt (my lack of any developed skills), resting on a small sandbag.

bigfatdave
December 23, 2010, 09:32 AM
Better at all ranges so far

mljdeckard
December 23, 2010, 09:43 AM
Me too, pretty much all of my shooting has been between 50 and 100.

LeverGunJunkie
December 23, 2010, 10:05 AM
Ditto: Groups closed at all ranges. I mean, you probably won't see MOA performance, but you'll notice a consistent shot group instead of what looks like a shotgun pattern.

wnycollector
December 23, 2010, 10:12 AM
Are your shot groups clearly better at 100 yards, or mostly at 50?

Accuracy has improved at all ranges for me. 90% of my shooting is done on my clubs 100 yard range. I have shot my Norinco SKS out to 300 yards with the tech-sight installed. I held at the head of a silhouette target and hit the body 7 out of 10 shots.

If you enjoyed reading about "SKS with Peep sight" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!