Browning BAR LW Stalker Carbine in 308......

PDA

biggameballs
December 21, 2010, 01:31 PM
Well after tons of research and going back and forth I think I've finally made up my mind on what I want......Now I just have to try to find it! I found out that in 2009 Browning made a limited run of 150 Browning BAR LW Stalker Carbine in 308. It has an 18" fluted barrel and weighs in just a hair under 7lbs. This is the old style receiver only an alloy version. I've always kind of thought that the LW stalker felt a little front heavy with a 22" barrel but with an 18" fluted I think this is going to be a SWEET northern MN deer gun.

Anyone know where one of these can be had? If you search for sales a ot and come across one please let me know.

If you enjoyed reading about "Browning BAR LW Stalker Carbine in 308......" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
biggameballs
December 21, 2010, 03:15 PM
Has anyone ever run into one of these? The only place I saw it refrenced was in a thread on 24hourcampfire.

Bigfoot
December 21, 2010, 04:02 PM
http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/family.asp?webflag_=002B&catalog_=B

They used to make carbine versions but I thought they had 20" barrels.

Browning BAR weights are all over the place but I've weighed a brand new 270 Long Trac on a postage scale and it weighed 6ln 12oz. Don't believe their catalog, one of em even claims 6lb 1oz, you need to find one in the store and weigh it yourself.

BTW the short action versions use the same receiver so they should weigh the same as the long actions.

Let us know what Browning tells you.

biggameballs
December 21, 2010, 05:09 PM
The person who had one made it sound like it might have been a special run for the 2009 shot show with the fluted 18" barrel.

I found another LW stalker with 20" fluted barrel on guns america. That might just have to do.

biggameballs
December 22, 2010, 04:39 PM
Okay I've got something I'm hoping that people can clear up for me. Browning's published weights just seem out of wack. Compare the "lightweight" stalker with aluminum receiver and the BAR safari with steel receiver in 308. The "lightweight" says 7 lbs 2 oz with a 20" tube. The BAR safari says 7 lbs 6 oz but has a 22" tube.

Well I'm no mathmatical genius but I would imagine that the 2" differnece in barrel length has to be pretty damn close to 4 oz since most of the weight is up front in these guns. So either going to an aluminum reciever really doesn't save much in weight or Brownings published weights are horse bleep.

sansone
December 22, 2010, 04:43 PM
published weights are often inaccurate

biggameballs
December 22, 2010, 05:05 PM
Can anyone tell me the real weight difference between the Stalker receiver and the Safari receiver? This all popped up becasue I handled one of each at the local gun shop over lunch and to be honest the Safari actually felt lighter although I suspect it just balanced better.

biggameballs
December 23, 2010, 12:52 PM
Who make the best picatinny rail mount for a Browning BAR and what would be a sweet one piece quick detach mount that would keep a 40mm lense scope as low as possible? I know they make a lot of sweet 1 piece ring/mount set ups for AR's but I'm not sure how high they mount the scope.

If you enjoyed reading about "Browning BAR LW Stalker Carbine in 308......" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!