Maybe Hi Points aren't so bad?

PDA

Fonzie2k
December 21, 2010, 06:46 PM
A friend of mine, who's got more guns and money than sense decided he wanted a handgun as a beater. This landed us in the gun store, buying a Hi Point C-9 9mm pistol for about $140 brand new.

The rationale behind buying it was that its a gun, which shoots sometimes making it worth more than $140 to us, and the no questions asked warranty. We took it out today, treated it a little rougher than we would a nice pistol, and fed the cheapest ammo we could find through it.

I was fairly impressed. This little thing didn't jam a single time, and it was definitely combat accurate. That being said, it definitely was not comfortable to shoot, it was very snappy and I don't think the grip was made for people. The darn thing doesn't balance well either.

Aside from the awful ergonomics, and the fact that it takes 3 tools, an ounce of blood, and a master's degree to take it apart its actually a nice little gun. Definitely worth $150.

If you enjoyed reading about "Maybe Hi Points aren't so bad?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
brandon_mcg
December 21, 2010, 07:13 PM
sounds like a good 4x4 hunting truck gun. my brother bought one of the carbines it is fun as rip.

Sauer Grapes
December 21, 2010, 07:20 PM
I've only seen a couple of the HiPoint firearms at the club. Man, the 2 I saw were butt ugly guns! :what:
But you know what, everytime the guy pulled the trigger, it went BANG! Can't say that about all of my guns. :uhoh:

Snowdog
December 21, 2010, 07:42 PM
I'd rather put the $150 towards a milsurp pistol such as a CZ-82 or Yugoslavian M57 personally. However, if someone wanted an inexpensive, recently manufactured auto chambered in a common cartridge (9mm, .40S&W, .45acp, etc), Hi-Points are viable options. Just not for me.

Shadow 7D
December 21, 2010, 07:49 PM
they work, go bang when told to
kinda like the fat chick
may not be pretty, but still ....
And, if you put one next to a glock, it makes the glock look sexy

armoredman
December 21, 2010, 08:19 PM
No, nothing will help a Glock... :D
I have been interested in trying a HiPoint someday when I have disposable cash, just for grins. A lifetime warantee is a serious point, means the company stands behind thier products.

Walkalong
December 21, 2010, 09:23 PM
I know three people with Hi-point .45's. They are kind of ugly, but dependable, and shoot pretty well. :)

Fonzie2k
December 21, 2010, 11:10 PM
I always heard a lot of bad things about them, but none of it was first hand experience. I second the surplus pistol statement, only the ammo isn't always easy to find..... eastern bloc surplus is a dangerous road to travel down, there's no coming back, and half the country (liberals) think you're a criminal for having an SKS.

Back to the topic at hand, I didn't like the Hi Point, but i definitely have some respect for them now.

stanger04
December 21, 2010, 11:28 PM
I bought a Hi-Point as my first auto, didn't know if I would like one and didn't want to spend a lot of money. The guns are reliable and are just a no frills weapon. Plus like my friends always joked on me if you run out of ammo, you can beat someone to death with it.

They make a perfect truck, boat, and camping gun.

Gik-tal
December 21, 2010, 11:32 PM
Hi-Points seem to be hit or miss, I saw one in 9mm that every time the slide went forward it would just flop right off the gun. Others that shot fine. Would higly advise against carrying one with a live round in the chamber. But as a truck gun or a tackel box gun they seem fine.

Shadow 7D
December 21, 2010, 11:37 PM
Um Gik, the slide did that because someone was messing with the gun and forgot the pins when they put it back together, if they had sent the gun in (yeah, at your expense, but, the fix it and give you a free mag) it would have been fixed.

gatopardo
December 22, 2010, 12:21 AM
Love mine but hi-points are too clunky and heavy to carry. They just stay home, unless I'm going to the range. My favorite is the the .40 caliber

The carbines are OK too, with a red dot they are the coolest pest control.

gpwelding1
December 23, 2010, 12:14 PM
ive owned 3.
a .40,9mm & 9mm carbine.only complaint i had about any of them was the bulk and weight of the .40 for concealed carry.and they are ugly,but if some one breaks into your home or you have to defend yourself elsewhere,the criminal isnt going to care what the gun looks like that you pull on him!:D

rondog
December 23, 2010, 03:20 PM
Try any of the HP carbines, they're far cooler than the pistols and more fun than should be allowed.

Onward Allusion
December 23, 2010, 04:48 PM
They're decent guns for the money. Like lots have already said, they're ugly but go bang every time.

Coincidentally, I was at the range with the one I bought a few months ago to prove whether HPs are garbage or not-so-bad. Below is one of the targets from 10 yards shooting two-handed modified Weaver. I was shooting some of the cheapest ammo around - Brown Bear. No jams whatsoever. Ironically, it jammed a few times with the "higher quality" Silver Bear. I'm guessing it has something to do with the lacquered cases of the Brown Bear ammo.

One thing I've learned is that these guns are a bit finicky on ammo. Also, the mags need breaking in by leaving them fully loaded for a week or two. Other than that, they're a good bang for the buck if that's all one can afford. Heck, even if it's not all that one can afford, they're still fun.

makarovnik
December 23, 2010, 08:03 PM
Put a slip on rubber grip on that thing. Make sure you don't take it apart frequently but keep it clean and fiddle with the mag lips once in a while and they're good guns.

I really wish they would position the slide serrations a little lower and make the grips more tacky. A better safety system would also make me feel better with one in the pipe.

They should make a smaller .22 and .32 pistol.

gator1gear
December 23, 2010, 08:32 PM
A buddy of mine got tired of borrowing a gun to shoot every time we went to the range. He went out and bought himself a gun, but wouldn't tell us what kind. The next weekend he unveiled his Hi-Point 9mm, and one of our buddies laughed until he fell over at the "cordless drill". The owner of the Hi-Point got the last laugh though, the thing just won't quit!

TrickyDick
December 23, 2010, 08:39 PM
I'd buy a Hi-point for someone's first pistol. It's ugly, uncomfortable, cheap, and durable, it will only make them appreciate whatever they buy next.

Kymasabe
December 23, 2010, 09:48 PM
That $150 would be better spent on a used S&W Sigma or Taurus PT111.
I too own a Hi-Point pistol, it's laying on the shop floor in the corner, I use it to jam open the steel garage door, makes a great door-stop.

writerinmo
December 23, 2010, 10:45 PM
I'd sure like to find those used Sigma's for $150 wherever you're shopping, I sure could stand to earn a $100 profit on each of them real fast...

I have two HP's, the .40 bought brand new and a used C9 compensated model. Both of them are reliable, accurate and eat anything I throw in them. They do have a tendency to bend firing pins, as they double as ejectors in them. But a call to the factory will get you whatever parts you need usually in your hand in three days or so and at no cost to you.

And in reference to one previous post on here, the only way for a slide to fall off would be in someone had removed the chamber and barrel... not very likely.

If you enjoyed reading about "Maybe Hi Points aren't so bad?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!