What AR set-up would you use for USPSA

PDA

dlee4697
December 22, 2010, 12:15 AM
I want to shoot in either tactical or open division and I am looking for some advice on uppers and optics. I have a Stag but want an upper strictly for competition and i plan on using the Stag lower.

If you enjoyed reading about "What AR set-up would you use for USPSA" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Hoser
December 22, 2010, 11:32 AM
JP caters to the 3-gun crowd. Pretty much anything they make will serve you well.

taliv
December 22, 2010, 12:22 PM
18" bbl, as light as you can find, rifle-length gas, wylde chamber, with a brake. (and if you plan to do anything unusual in the action, an adjustable gas block)
vtac handguard

for a while, the 1-4x meopta was a good deal. the swaro z6i 1-6x was unbelievably awesome. but now there are several 1-8x on the market. and i got to look through a 1-10x march optic that i was very impressed by. so... depends on your budget. alternately, the $499 smartgunner deal on aimpoint micro T1s is still a great bargain

KosmicKrunch
December 22, 2010, 02:34 PM
In basics, I just put together a Colt kit from Sarco (M16A1) to a real Colt AR15 semi lower receiver from a gun shop near me and a lower trigger group and carrier from DSA. I will eventually look for the Colt lower trigger group and a Colt Carrier. Although I do not shoot USPSA, it all turned out perfect and for just under $589 for a real Colt vintage piece. Now it will be an easy jump to M-4 a piece at a time. I am not totally into AR type guns, but wanted to experience the total build of one so I could tell my customers exactly what it entailed.

thommygun
December 25, 2010, 03:19 PM
Once heard the less "furniture" the better

benEzra
December 25, 2010, 04:58 PM
I personally use a 16" midlength (RRA) with a heavy-ish barrel and optic, mostly because that's what I have.

If you are more into the "gaming" side of USPSA, a brake would probably make you faster; having said that, I shoot with a flash suppressor because it's also my HD carbine, and I find brakes exceedingly unpleasant. I am shooting more for fun and experience than for top-of-the-class scores, though.

oldgold
December 26, 2010, 10:41 PM
It don't have to be fancy to win. This one has done it's share of top ten finishes even though it was built twenty years ago.

Scope is a 4-12 with an Aimpoint mounted on the side with an old Ruger pistol scope mount. Scope is sighted in for two hundred and the Aimpoint for 75 yards. Don't know who made the compensator but it works very well.

Zak Smith
January 4, 2011, 04:35 PM
http://demigodllc.com/photo/ITRC-2004/icon/135_3507_img_icon.jpg
article | Evolution of the 3-Gun Practical Rifle http://demigodllc.com/icon/extwh3.png (http://demigodllc.com/articles/evolution-of-the-3-gun-practical-rifle)

I interviewed JP's "JP" and Paul Ertzgaard of MSTN for this article.

If you enjoyed reading about "What AR set-up would you use for USPSA" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!