Christmass for a Caster

PDA

PDshooter
December 26, 2002, 09:11 PM
Only a "Caster" would feel this way!
Drove by my local tire shop,spoke to the manger and asked him if he had any scrap wheel weight for sale:confused:
He said "Take as much as you want, it's Haz-mat, to me":cool:

I walked out with ALL of it about 50lbs:D

That will make alot of 45s:D

If you enjoyed reading about "Christmass for a Caster" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ArmaLube
December 26, 2002, 10:44 PM
Good For You!

That is the smart way acquire bullet metal. Linotype metal, wheel weights, lead pipe, scrap shielding, and similar lead-bearing materials are a great way to go. Many times, the stuff is available at no cost, as you have discovered.

Wheel weights, because of their universal use, are probably one of the best sources out there. It would be worth checking with the large volume tire sellers to see what kind of deals are available.

Happy casting,
Bob

labgrade
December 27, 2002, 11:51 PM
Very nifty thing about wheel weights is a fairly consistent alloy = hardness/weight. Enough not to matter for most all non-stringent applications.

Rest of the stuff, added in, will vary your alloy, castability & shoot-'em-up factor.

Good lube, & I'll shoot WWs past 1500 fps in .30 cal with a gas check. .38/.357 & no GC/ well, then that gun really can't handle that velocity anyway .... 1200fps+ ... go for broke.

I don't know you can push wheel weights past anything standard revolver velocities.

Shooting a Lyman Keith 168 .357, I haven't seen it.

Poodleshooter
December 31, 2002, 10:03 PM
My Christmas came with a Lee Production Pot 4. No more propane stove and cast iron pot and ladle for me! :D

If you enjoyed reading about "Christmass for a Caster" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!