Imagine you wake up

PDA

MicroBalrog
December 26, 2003, 03:55 PM
On September 14, 2004.

What should b our next political goal?

If you enjoyed reading about "Imagine you wake up" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
M1911Owner
December 26, 2003, 04:07 PM
While I do follow with considerable interest what is happening in Israel, I must confess that the date, September 05, 2004, doesn't mean anything to me. Could you clue us in on what is happening in Israel then?

Thanks

Edited to add: Now that you've changed your post to read "September 14, 2004", I see that you're talking about the AWB sunset in the US. And that you're planning to immigrate here.

Thumper
December 26, 2003, 04:07 PM
"Our?"

Your fascination with the American political process is a little odd to me...you planning on immigrating? :D

My goal, post AWB, will be to get some comparatively conservative Justices appointed to the SCOTUS. That's where the game will be played: we'd best make sure we field a team.

MicroBalrog
December 26, 2003, 04:08 PM
Our = RKBA civil rights activists, in America or otherwise.

But yes, I AM planning on immigration.:neener:

Jeff White
December 26, 2003, 04:17 PM
What is the significance of September 5th? The AWB doesn't sunset until the 13.....

Jeff

MicroBalrog
December 26, 2003, 04:20 PM
Thanks. Wishful thinking on my part, that.:)

HBK
December 26, 2003, 04:22 PM
I agree that the appointment of some pretty conservative judges to the SCOTUS should be our highest prioroity. Let's hope that we actually make it to the ban sunset with NO NEW GUN LAWS.

Pebcac
December 26, 2003, 04:23 PM
To answer the question of the post, I think nationwide recognition of CCW permits is in order, just like driver's licenses are.

HBK
December 26, 2003, 04:24 PM
Or maybe national right to carry, no permit needed as stated by our Constution. Is that too much to hope for?

MicroBalrog
December 26, 2003, 04:26 PM
My goal, post AWB, will be to get some comparatively conservative
Justices appointed to the SCOTUS

I don't think it'll help. Remember Lopez?

HBK
December 26, 2003, 04:32 PM
No, but I remember Souter. He was supposed to be conservative and he is as liberal as they come.

MicroBalrog
December 26, 2003, 04:34 PM
US vs. Lopez, SCOTUS strikes a gun law down, .gov re-enacts it, no protests.

Victory will come in the legislature.

Lone_Gunman
December 26, 2003, 04:41 PM
On September 15, I will write my congressmen and President a letter telling them why I won't be voting for them in the next election.

Ultimately the Republicans will roll over this issue and the ban will be extended.

I just received a letter a couple of days ago from Senator Saxby Chambliss of Georgia (supposedly a conservative Republican with an A+ NRA rating. I asked him to vote no for renewing the ban.

His response was, I know the AWB will impact hunters, and will keep your viewpoint in mind.

He is obviously clueless on the issue. The Republicans will screw us on this one, just watch.

MicroBalrog
December 26, 2003, 04:47 PM
Why?

HBK
December 26, 2003, 04:59 PM
No, don't watch. Don't let it happen. Instead of telling them they won't get your vote, tell them your vote depends on it. Let them know the consequences and the rewards of their possible stances on the law. 2004 will determine our future.

Lone_Gunman
December 26, 2003, 05:00 PM
The ban will be renewed because the Republicans won't stand up and stop it. They consider the gun lobby expendable. They think we have no one but them to vote for.

When a Senator as conservative as Saxby Chambliss won't stand up and say he is against renewal, we have a problem.

HBK
December 26, 2003, 05:01 PM
We have to prove them wrong.

Ky Larry
December 26, 2003, 05:34 PM
Our elected officials are political protitutes. They would sell their own mother to a pimp if they thought it would get them reelected. We have to let them know that if they screw us on the AWB sunset, they will be on the street looking for a job after the next election. That's the only thing they understand. Write them, call them and e-mail them.

Lone_Gunman
December 26, 2003, 05:48 PM
Look at what the polls say. Most Americans support the AWB.

Are they going to turn off most Americans just to gain the votes of a few gun enthusiasts? No way.

Thumper
December 26, 2003, 05:57 PM
I just received a letter a couple of days ago from Senator Saxby Chambliss of Georgia (supposedly a conservative Republican with an A+ NRA rating.

I saw that thread, Lone. I've got an email in my inbox from Tom Delay that says that he believes there's "no way" the extention will be enacted.

I saw Wayne LaPierre "guarantee" that it wouldn't be passed.

I'll believe it when I see it, but I'm hopeful. Keep writing.

I agree that national reciprocity also should be high on the "to do" list.

Thumper
December 26, 2003, 06:01 PM
Look at what the polls say. Most Americans support the AWB.

The scary thing is that most gun owners (64%)* support the ban. Doesn't matter. The squeaky wheel gets the grease. Keep writing.

*Alan Gottlieb

Lone_Gunman
December 26, 2003, 06:01 PM
Thumper, hopefully Tom Delay is right, but my response from Chambliss was really troubling. I get the feeling he doesn't even understand what the issue is, considering his reference to sportsmen.

Thumper
December 26, 2003, 06:14 PM
I didn't like his response to you either...I lived in Athens for a long while. I believe ol' Saxby will do right when the time comes. It is disturbing that one of the "good guys" is afraid to state his position in an email.

He'd better get right.

WvaBill
December 26, 2003, 10:33 PM
Or maybe national right to carry, no permit needed as stated by our Constution. Is that too much to hope for?

Or just Universal reciprocity? As a Start.

w4rma
December 26, 2003, 10:43 PM
Revoke the Patriot Act, reverse the trend on gun control, IMHO.

jimpeel
December 26, 2003, 11:13 PM
What should b our next political goal?To try to get the various pro-firearms organizations to stop the infighting and pool their resources and collaborate to defeat the anti-firearms agenda!

dustind
December 27, 2003, 12:03 AM
What is the significance of September 5th? It is my birthday. You guys did remember my birthday, right? :neener:

Mikul
December 27, 2003, 01:51 AM
'86 Machine Gun Ban
This law doesn't make machine guns illegal, it just assures that only rich people can own them.

Nightfall
December 27, 2003, 10:27 AM
Equal CCW use across all the 50 states. I want to be able to carry legally everyplace from California to Virginia. Lowering the handgun/CCW age to 18 would be nice too.

After that... the MG ban. I want me something belt fed! :D

Daedalus
December 27, 2003, 10:57 AM
'86 Machine Gun Ban
This law doesn't make machine guns illegal, it just assures that only rich people or criminals can own them.

I fixed this for you.

If you enjoyed reading about "Imagine you wake up" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!