Hiccup

PDA

Derek Zeanah
December 24, 2010, 02:55 PM
Sorry about that. Apparently our database server wanted to be restarted after 456 million queries.

I'll keep and eye on it and try to keep it happy.

If you enjoyed reading about "Hiccup" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Derek Zeanah
December 24, 2010, 04:37 PM
OK, I lied. It needed more than I thought. Hopefully the performance issues are now resolved.

KarenTOC
December 25, 2010, 02:36 PM
Would this hiccup have affected the way the forum displays? Yesterday it was "normal" for me - today I need a magnifying glass to read it :)

Floppy_D
December 25, 2010, 02:41 PM
Would this hiccup have affected the way the forum displays? Yesterday it was "normal" for me - today I need a magnifying glass to read it

Hold CTRL and roll your mousewheel up and down. :)

KarenTOC
December 25, 2010, 03:09 PM
Floppy D, Thanks! Sounded like an easy fix, but it turned out to be a lot more complicated than I had expected. Steps required:

1. hunt through multiple boxes for a mouse - any mouse
2. hunt through the boxes again to find the little wireless stick-thingy that fell off the mouse
4. tear the house apart looking for a battery that wasn't pre-deceased
4. do the cntrl-hold-scroll thing

Now - since you're my new pc guru - how did it get scrolled down if I wasn't using a mouse ? lol

Carl N. Brown
January 2, 2011, 01:34 PM
There should be a menu bar option labelled "View" with sub options "Zoom" and "Text Size" which ought to do what the mouse ctrl-wheel does.

Mal H
January 2, 2011, 01:43 PM
Just noticed this one.

Karen - you puzzle me! You have a computer without a mouse? The mouse you do have needs a battery?

In addition to what Carl said, you can also use the Ctrl and '+' or '-' keys to zoom text size up and down. That may be how it got resized in the first place. I can see having the Ctrl key down and accidentally pressing the minus key on the number keypad. Since you didn't have a mouse installed, that wouldn't have done it, and you would have remembered using the View->Zoom menu (I hope!). At least it would be difficult to use the menu by accident.

Carl N. Brown
January 2, 2011, 02:32 PM
For our lap top computer that has a touch pad for "mouse" cursor operations, my wife got a battery powered wireless mouse that is controlled by a USB plug in.

One side of the touch pad acts like a mouse wheel, so I can be moving the cursor with the touch pad and accidently zoom or scroll if my finger moves too far from the center part of the pad.

There's probably other alternatives out there too.

My first computer booted from tape and control input was a punched card reader and teletypewriter that doubled as a printer. No mouse there either.

rbernie
January 2, 2011, 02:49 PM
Karen - you puzzle me! You have a computer without a mouse? MacBook. :)

Mal H
January 2, 2011, 04:22 PM
"touch pad" ... "Macbook"

Of course! Why didn't I think of that? :)

My first computer booted from tape ...

My first computer was a 1401 with a grand total of 32 K bytes of memory (the largest available). Actually it did have a mouse though. I remember it well. We found that a mouse had made a nest in it and pee'ed on a row of SMS cards -- shorted some of the components out. True story. :)

If you enjoyed reading about "Hiccup" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!