Handgun purchase in free states

PDA

Bill St. Clair
December 26, 2003, 07:00 PM
In writing a letter to the editor of a despicable NY Times article (http://www.nytimes.com/2003/12/26/sports/football/26GUNS.html?th), I wanted to convey to the disarmed Big Apple readers what they're missing in most of free America, but I haven't lived in free America myself since I started buying my own guns so I don't know.

Here in upstate New York, I walk into a gun store, lay down my driving license, fill out a simple form asserting who I am and that I am not forbidden to own a gun, wait for the sales guy to make the NICS call, hand over my cash, and walk out with my long gun. Handguns are another matter, however. New York state registers all handgun possession, so you have to pay for the gun, take the receipt to the local judge, and ask him nicely to add it to your permit before taking possession.

Is the process of handgun purchase in free states similar to long gun purchase here?

And don't go ranting about NICS. I know. My 12-year-old son should be able to walk into any hardware store in America, lay down cash, and walk out with a fully-automatic M-16 or AK-47 and 1000 rounds of ammo without answering any questions or signing a single scrap of paper. That's what "shall not be infringed" means. But debating the details of that issue is not my intention with this thread.

And if you want to discuss the NYT article, there's already another thread (http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=56253) for that.

If you enjoyed reading about "Handgun purchase in free states" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Hkmp5sd
December 26, 2003, 08:06 PM
Florida: 3-day waiting period, CCWs exempt. No restrictions on private sales.

Oracle
December 26, 2003, 08:10 PM
Georgia, if you pass NICS, then it's instant, there is no waiting period, you walk out with the gun (of course, NICS is checked whether you're buying a handgun or a long gun). If you have a Georgia CCW, then there isn't even a NICS background check.

jimpeel
December 26, 2003, 08:30 PM
Colorado. CBI check, pay, and walk.

Standing Wolf
December 26, 2003, 09:56 PM
Colorado. CBI check, pay, and walk.

There's actually an additional step that happens behind the scenes: your hand gun is registered.

Bill St. Clair
December 26, 2003, 10:19 PM
Thanks guys. Now I know two states where handguns are similar to long guns. Others?

Also, there are plenty of sites with all sorts of information about concealed carry laws state-to-state. Does anyone know a place to find a summary of open carry laws or this kind of purchase information?

Langenator
December 26, 2003, 10:28 PM
Washington state: long guns-NICS check, 4473, money, out the door. Handguns-NICS check, 4473, money, 14 day wait, out the door. Handgun waiting period is waived if you have a CCW.

WvaBill
December 26, 2003, 10:30 PM
WV-- NICS, pay, go...Only been turned down by NICS about one time out of fifteen or so. Early on. No registration except Fed form, no judge, no jury.

CHL is about 5x8 certificate that you photostatically reduce and laminate(optional). I have about 4 copies in wallet, glove boxes, with employee IDs. Doesn't exempt NICS.

HogRider
December 26, 2003, 10:41 PM
Arizona with CCW:
Walk into store
Pick gun
Talk price
Fill out form
Show CCW and Drivers License
Pay
Walk out of store

Arizona without CCW:
Walk into store
Pick gun
Talk price
Fill out form
Show Drivers License and wait for instant background check (5-10 minutes)
Pay
Walk out of store

:D

jimpeel
December 26, 2003, 10:55 PM
... your hand gun is registered.How so?

NukemJim
December 26, 2003, 11:40 PM
Illinois,

1) Get a FOID ( Firearms Owner IDentification ). Apply to Ill State Police, wait 4-8 weeks get card. Without card it is illeagle to posess guns or ammo.

2) Go into gunstore choose gun put deposit down or pay completely

3) Fill out federal form

4) Phone call to ISP with the FOID number. The ISP has 24 hours to give an answer for rifles/shotguns, 72 hours for handguns

5) Wait 24 hours for rifles/shotguns, 72 hours for handguns before they can be picked up

I am not going to go into the mess in Chicago

NukemJim

seeker_two
December 27, 2003, 12:18 AM
Arizona with CCW:
Walk into store
Pick gun
Talk price
Fill out form
Pay
Walk out of store

Arizona without CCW:
Walk into store
Pick gun
Talk price
Fill out form
Pay
Walk out of store

Same in Texas...:D

Tamara
December 27, 2003, 12:23 AM
Is the process of handgun purchase in free states similar to long gun purchase here?

Yes.

In TN, you do a background check and take your pistol with you.

In GA, you skip the background check if you have a Toter's Permit, or do an instant NICS check otherwise, and take your pistol with you.

Standing Wolf
December 27, 2003, 01:12 AM
jimpeel:

I'm not sure about long guns, but hand guns purchased in Colorado are registered with the state at the time of purchase. There used to be a separate form to fill out; now it's handled by the telephone operator who clears the purchase.

jimpeel
December 27, 2003, 01:19 AM
Is that codified in law or just something they do? A lot of good it does them if you move out of state.

Kharn
December 27, 2003, 01:44 AM
Delaware (from what I understand):
Pick gun and ask gunstore to order it
Show Driver's license and 2nd form of ID (credit card bill with your mailing address on it will suffice)
Fill out 4473
Wait for NICS check
Pay
Go directly to nearest range to try out new toy.

Maryland:
Pick gun
Pray gun is available to peons
Ask gunstore to find one
Show Driver's License and proof of training when pistol arrives
Fill out 2 state forms, and a 4473
Pay deposit (optional)
Come back in 10 days, sign state forms and 4473 again
Pay remaining balance
Find nearest range and try out new toy

Kharn

Valkman
December 27, 2003, 02:17 AM
Nevada: Sounds the same as Arizona, posted above. I show my CCW and DL, fill out form, pay and leave. If you don't have a CCW then you pay extra and wait for the NICS check. The beauty of a CCW is going into a gun store after the NICS is closed and being able to buy a gun. Show, Fill out, pay and leave. Sweeeet. You can also buy two or three if you like. :)

RON in PA
December 27, 2003, 02:55 AM
PA- show driver's license, fill out federal and state form, dealer runs NICS ( usually takes 5 min or less), if approved sign state form second time, pay, leave with gun and then clean it and shoot it. Sometimes sneaking past wife comes before cleaning it.

Bill St. Clair
December 27, 2003, 08:47 AM
I sent my letter to the New York Times, and posted it in the thread discussing the article here (http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?s=&postid=686595#post686595).

Thank you again, gentlemen!

clubsoda22
December 27, 2003, 08:53 AM
In PA: Money + NICS go ahead = out the door.

December 27, 2003, 08:58 AM
Nevada:

To expand on what Valkman said, in Las Vegas you fill out an additional form, and your handgun is registered. You recieve a "blue card" which you are required to carry at all times you have the gun to show your masters that the handgun was in fact registered. This applies whether or not you live in Clark County.
The rest of the state as far as I know eliminates this step and the handgun is not registered. I know that is the case here in Pahrump.
You pay, you show CCW + DL and you walk away.

JohnBT
December 27, 2003, 09:11 AM
Virginia: call the number in the newspaper or Trading Post(a weekly rag) ad. Make arrangements to meet and do the deal.

Now, if it's a gun store purchase you need to wait while they call the State Police number and get the okay. The longest delay I've encountered has been 5 or 10 minutes and that was just once, but I've seen others delayed when the computer, or maybe the phone, was out of order. Having a carry permit doesn't change anything.

John

motorep
December 27, 2003, 11:25 AM
Colorado - private purchase- not at gun shows- hand over the cash, trade, or whatever, take the gun home, handgun or long gun.

Standing Wolf- where did you get the info regarding handgun registration? The only info CBI gets is handgun or long gun. The serial # is not part of the NICS check. I've purchased more than a few new handguns from Denver area dealers, been present while the call is being made, no mention of serial #. I watched the info being input into a dealers computer for the check- no serial #.

LynnMassGuy
December 27, 2003, 01:05 PM
MA
Must show LTC or FID and drivers license.
You pay.
They call it in and you leave with it.(Assuming it was on the MA approved firearm roster and the AG list. No Springfield pistols, no new Glocks, etc...)
Same for rifles or handguns.

JackM
December 27, 2003, 03:19 PM
In Canada, show dealer your Firearms License, dealer calls Canadian Firearms Centre, Centre asks you a few questions, Centre gives you a TAN (Transfer Authorization Number), write it down, pull out Loonies or plastic, and take gun, long or short, home. It takes 1/2 an hour, if the lines aren't busy.

Bye
Jack

SMLE
December 27, 2003, 10:03 PM
In New Mexico you fill out the 4473, seller makes NICS call, you take your gun home. If you buy two or more hand guns in five business days, the dealer must fill out and send in a form 3310 but that's a standard Fed thing.

Standing Wolf
December 27, 2003, 10:16 PM
motorep and jimpeel:

Standing Wolf- where did you get the info regarding handgun registration?

I got my facts from a cop. Now I'm going to have to dig deeper and find out what the actual facts are. I sincerely hope I'm mistaken, if it need be said!

XavierBreath
December 27, 2003, 11:37 PM
Louisiana:
Pick out gun
Haggle
Fill out 4473
Show drivers license or other ID
Telephone call/NICS
Pay money
Leave with handgun
Go to range
Explain to wife

Where I live in Louisiana, I'm not sure if it's statewide though, more than two handguns a month means the Sheriff is notified. This may only be in my parish, I'm not sure.

Mr Kablammo
December 28, 2003, 01:27 AM
This is a bit tangential to the posted question, but still relevent. Bill, you wrote a letter to the NYT. Most likely it will NOT be acknowledged by the editor or printed. Because of recurrent NYT bias against letters of conservative orientation, the Weekly Standard (www.weeklystandard.com) has begun a new feature. When someone writes a letter to the NYT send a CC to the Weekly Standard and it will be published there too (either). So, the NYT cannot get away with marginalizing conservative letters as if we are not articulate, logical, and existant. Best of luck and blessings, KB.

7.62FullMetalJacket
December 28, 2003, 01:51 AM
UTAH with CCW:
Walk into store
Pick gun
Talk price
Fill out form 4473
Call in CCW for active verification
Pay
Walk out of store

UTAH without CCW:
Walk into store
Pick gun
Talk price
Fill out form
Pay
Walk out of store

Plagiarized to be more efficient :D

You gotta love a "sorta free" state

Bill St. Clair
December 28, 2003, 04:30 AM
Mr. Kablammo,

Thanks for the tip. I'll attempt to remember it next time I send a letter to the NYT. Is this policy published anywhere on the Weekly Standard's web site?

Fatcat
December 28, 2003, 05:11 PM
...you fill out the 4473, seller makes NICS call, you take your gun home.

Same here in Oregon.

Black Snowman
December 28, 2003, 05:17 PM
Kansas, NICS is all.
Missouri, handguns require a permit from the county sherrif.

Andrew Rothman
December 28, 2003, 06:44 PM
Minnesota (MN):

1. a. Get a "Permit to purchase" (free background check, from LEO, completed within 7 days, good for one year for as many guns as you can afford.) (http://www.revisor.leg.state.mn.us/stats/624/7131.html)

OR

b. Have a CCW permit ($100, completed within 30 days, good for 5 years)

2. Choose Gun
3. Fill out 4473
4. Wait for "instant" check
5. Take possession
6. Knock over liquor store, contribute to blood running in the streets, and do a few road-rage shootings. ;)

WilderBill
December 28, 2003, 07:30 PM
How 'bout:
"Hey Bubba I'll give ya my Chevy small block 4 barrel intake & Holly carb for yer extra Makarov."
"OK, BillyBob, here's the Mak, bring that intake by when ya get time."

Well, I've seen that work a few times around here.
No 4473, hey neither of us ever even saw a handgun...;)

Russ
December 29, 2003, 01:22 PM
Kentucky is same as long guns in NY.

1. Select gun
2. Fill out 4473
3. Show license
4. Call NICS
5. Walk out with gun

In California where I used to live much more difficult.

Handguns:

1. Select gun on State Sen Jack Scott's "approved list"
2. Show HSC (Handgun Safety Certificate)
3. Fill out 4473
4. Call to NICS, fax to CA DOJ
5. 10 Business day wait
6. Prove you have or buy trigger lock or other "Safety" device (safe).
7. Drive back and get it.

Note the word "Safety". This is what the DemocRATS have in store for everyone if elected in sufficient numbers.

If you enjoyed reading about "Handgun purchase in free states" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!