.22 blanks in a revolver

PDA

bobb_topgun
December 26, 2010, 08:35 AM
I'm looking for a dog training .22 blank solution . . .

Rather than spending some money on a limited use blanks-only pistol, I'm considering a .22 revolver that could also serve other purposes at the range or in the field.

Can .22 blanks be used in either a .22 LR or .22 magnum - like a Taurus 94 or 941?

THANKS for your help! ;)

If you enjoyed reading about ".22 blanks in a revolver" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Carl N. Brown
December 26, 2010, 09:32 AM
Til someone with experience using .22 blanks to train hunting dogs chimes in, I will offer my opinions about .22 blanks.

I have shot .22 blanks in both a blank gun and a real .22 pistol. They chamber and fire like any other round. A regular .22 blank might not seal a .22 magnum chamber and may leak gas. The regular .22 case is same outside diameter as the bullet; the .22 magnum case has a inside diameter same as the bullet and a much larger outside diameter. I have not seen .22 mag blanks, just the standard .22 short size blanks.

I do know that the .32 S&W blank cartridges are black powder, and as I recall the .22 blanks I used appeared to be powered by extra priming compound and not gunpowder. One of the reasons we can put off cleaning .22s is that .22 gun powder residue and the lube from the bullets tends to protect the barrel. Blank ammo though is hot and dry. I would clean the gun extra carefully after using blanks, taking the same care as I would if I had used black powder or military corrosive ammo, just to avoid corrosion.

rcmodel
December 26, 2010, 01:13 PM
+1

Nobody makes .22 Mag blanks that I've ever heard off.
So, you need a .22 RF revolver.
Or a Ruger Single-Six .22LR/.22 mag convertable with interchangable cylinders.

CCI sells smokeless powder .22RF blanks especially for the use you ask about.
http://www.gundogsupply.com/cci-crimps.html

rc

sw282
December 26, 2010, 06:28 PM
Blanks use black powder. One reason is to make smoke visible to onlookers.
BP is corrosive. Dont use it in a Quality gun. Buy one of those cheap starter pistols. When it cruds up. Buy another. No big expense.

rcmodel
December 27, 2010, 11:55 AM
Note what I said in post #3.

CCI dog training blanks are not loaded with black powder.
And they won't harm a "quality" gun.

rc

David E
December 27, 2010, 04:20 PM
The ones that are short, crimped and look like an acorn used to be iffy. Sometimes you'd get a good can of loud ones, the next, not so much.

The "good" ones then used a .22 short case, loaded with black powder and had a cardboard disc up front sealing it. THOSE were loud, but BP, requiring cleaning after use.

The new ones RC pointed out from CCI look like they'd be perfect for you.

BCRider
December 27, 2010, 09:34 PM
As someone that shoots BP pistols I'd like to comment.

The powder residue itself is NOT corrosive. But the residue is a salt that likes to attract moisture and the combination of potassium based salt (don't scrape out the guns and put the "salt" on your french fries :D) and moisture definetly is corrosive. But it won't mess things up in a few hours. You have lots of time to get home and wash out the barrel and cylinder with hot soapy water and then dry and oil. Done in a timely manner, as in that evening after using it, even if you do get BP blanks the gun will not rot out in any way.

In any event I'd be very surprised if you can't find smokeless powder blanks these days.

If you enjoyed reading about ".22 blanks in a revolver" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!