Christmas Rifle

PDA

Cosmoline
December 26, 2010, 04:49 PM
I was sick this Christmas so I stayed home and put together some parts from Track. I picked up a .40 Colrain barrel and fitted an older stock for it. Took some tweaking and a very nerve-wracking session with a hand drill trying to get a perfectly straight hole drilled and tapped for the vent liner. If it functions well I'll be rust bluing it.

It's so long it's almost impossible to get a good picture of it. You have to go into orbit to capture the whole length! Can't wait to test it out. I'm hoping it will be a real tack driver.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b52/Gussick/Longrifle.png

Anyone else get something new?

If you enjoyed reading about "Christmas Rifle" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Tommygunn
December 26, 2010, 06:58 PM
Nice rifle!
Don't feel alone, I picked up a bug yesterday and I am running a fever and coughing my throat all raw. Fortunatly it hit after I got home but I am not a happy camper today.

Grunt Medic TXARNG
December 26, 2010, 07:02 PM
Nice build - can't wait to see a range report. You flintlock shooters get much respect from me - I just don't have the skill or the patience to hold on target for as long as it takes for a flinter to fire!

junkman_01
December 26, 2010, 07:07 PM
Very nice!

Cosmoline
December 26, 2010, 09:18 PM
Thanks! Everyone should get a flintlock for Christmas.

Grunt--if I installed the vent liner properly there will be no delay, or no more than a cap. We shall see. It still needs some work of course. Some steel is still proud and I have a lot of polishing left. I may add more furniture though I'd like to keep it "poor boy" in style if not in actual cost.

The circle of unpolished steel abutting the pan is the White Lightin' vent liner from Track. I think Chambers holds the patent on it. Easy to install if you have a drill press, not so easy otherwise! It makes the inside wall of the barrel concave out from the flashhole, thus greatly reducing the distance from spark to charge.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b52/Gussick/FC1.png

For the sights this time I'm using a pretty big front sight and a simple notch rear sight, set forward of the balance point. I also moved the front sight back a notch from the crown to permit me to grab the barrel while ramming the ball. The shorter distance between the front and rear sight in this arrangement is easier for old eyes.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b52/Gussick/FC2.png

The wood is the same nice curly maple I used in a previous build. It's been beat up and bashed around as I've learned how to inlet, but it's very forgiving. I've had terrible results with walnut, so I think my future builds will all be with high grade CM. It's so much tighter grained and stronger than the available walnut seems to be. You can probably see a few of the double holes there where I had to drill new holes to match the underlugs on the new barrel. I'll fill the old ones in.

If you've never done one of these parts kit builds, I highly recommend it. If nothing else it's taught me how to recognize a true quality piece. For example--a high end rifle would never have the gap of space seen around my lock. Being a novice, I took away too much wood. Even so, it's mighty satisfying to have the gun you put together yourself go "bang" and hit the target.

ontarget
December 26, 2010, 10:21 PM
Very nice. Do you mind if I ask what you have into the parts $ ? I would love to do a build from scratch. I did a kit but didn't find it to be very challenging, and also I would LOVE to have a flinter.

Cosmoline
December 26, 2010, 10:38 PM
I believe the stock was $150 or so plus $25 shipping, hand picked from Sitting Fox. The lock is also from SF and was around $100. Nice sparking frizzen on it. Furniture came from various places and total probably no more than $50 because it's a poor boy and doesn't use much. The Colrain was over $200 shipped plus another $50 for sights, lugs, liner and the D&T kit for the liner and labor to install the breech plug. So total of $575 or so including shipping to AK. That sounds about right. The biggest cost is the time spent in doing the project but it's enjoyable work.

The one thing I'd advise for sure is to order the best wood available. I went with cheap walnut my first time and it was very difficult to inlet. The grain was greasy and tended to fall off in chunks.

ontarget
December 27, 2010, 09:15 AM
Thanks, I am going to start shopping around for some parts. Sounds like Sitting Fox may be a good starting point ?

Cosmoline
December 27, 2010, 01:09 PM
SF is about the least expensive and is sort of a one-man operation, but he's very responsive. Track of the Wolf is a larger outfit with a nice website and more to choose from, but seems to have perpetual supply problems when it comes to the barrels. The next step up would be Chambers I suppose, but you're talking about a pretty significant price increase.

If you enjoyed reading about "Christmas Rifle" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!