Blackhawk SERPA reliability... a little test was in order

PDA

sturmgewehr
December 27, 2010, 01:29 PM
I've owned SERPA holsters for years. I have about 5 of them in inventory for various handguns I own. I've used them on the range for much of that time, not so much for concealed carry as I'm not a fan of retention systems for CCW holsters, opting for open tops instead.

But in my years with the SERPA I've never had a failure of the lock. But others post reports of SERPA failures at various shooting events and even on deployment. Since I don't routinely roll around on the ground with my SERPAs, I figured I would take it upon myself to see just how easy/hard it might be to cause the SERPA to fail.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htigDRr7tdM

Questions and comments are welcome.

If you enjoyed reading about "Blackhawk SERPA reliability... a little test was in order" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
lonegunman
December 30, 2010, 12:00 AM
I had one and it failed on me doing very little rolling around or crawling in the dirt. One day it suddenly became a permanent retention holster. Once the gun clicked into place you darn near had to cut the thing out.

I'm sure 99% of the people have no problems 99% of the time, I just hate the idea of getting myself killed because my gun was welded into the holster. Sadly, I forgot to video myself so people will believe me.

MikePaiN
December 30, 2010, 06:57 AM
I'd say this is MAJOR issue considering the type of holster the SERPA is and its intended uses.

Sturm....any response from Blackhawk on this?

ultradoc
December 30, 2010, 08:48 AM
I have had one for a couple of years. No problems but I just use mine for IDPA shoots. Informative vid. Thanks for posting.

mcdonl
December 30, 2010, 12:56 PM
Thanks for the video. I look forward to the Safari Land video.

If you enjoyed reading about "Blackhawk SERPA reliability... a little test was in order" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!