Range Report Federal HST 230 gr from G30

PDA

lambertiana
December 27, 2010, 08:37 PM
Today I got to test some Federal 230 gr HST from my G30, this is the standard pressure load, not the +P.

Same as before, I fired from about 10' into wet newspaper covered with two layers cotton t-shirt and two layers jeans denim. All 10 rounds recovered, as seen in the picture below:
http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa110/lambertiana/PC271136.jpg

Not very consistent. On the right in the picture are the two Gold Dot 230 gr that I shot into the same target for comparison. Surprisingly, one of them was the first Gold Dot I have ever fired into wet newspaper that did not give full expansion.

Penetration of the HST was also low. The fully expanded bullets only penetrated around 5-7", and the non-expanded penetrated up to about 11-12", but most were in the 8-10" range. The expanded Gold Dot penetrated close to 10", and the partially expanded Gold Dot penetrated to about 11" (further than all but one of the non-expanded HST). So the HST does not penetrate as far as the Gold Dot when fired out of a G30.

I also noticed that most of the HST had tumbled - the fully expanded bullets were facing base forward, and the others exhibited at least some evididence of tumbling.

For comparison, this picture shows the optimum expansion I have seen from the G30 (remember that except for the Gold Dot and Critical Defense, these are very inconsistent out of the G30 and these are only the best ones):
http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa110/lambertiana/PC271143.jpg

Top row - Winchester Ranger T 230 gr, Gold Dot 230 gr, Federal HST 230 gr. Bottom row: Taurus copper 185 gr, Hornady Critical Defense 185 gr.

If you enjoyed reading about "Range Report Federal HST 230 gr from G30" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
gofastman
December 28, 2010, 06:19 PM
Are you suprised?
Thats about what I would expect from a "short" (as in not 5") barrel and standard pressure loads

DenaliPark
December 29, 2010, 12:34 AM
Hmm, if I was you, I'd stick with that 230 gr Ranger talon, very nice indeed...

ProCarryNAustin
December 29, 2010, 08:50 AM
My experience has been that newspaper can be and inconsistant test media. I prefer 4 layers of denim over gelatin.

lambertiana
December 29, 2010, 01:20 PM
Surprised? No. Disappointed? Yes, after all the hype I have read about this round.

Ranger Talon did not perform any better in my G30, even the +P was inconsistent. The Ranger T in the picture above was the exception, not the rule.

If I could get decent quantities of calibrated ballistic gelatin, I would use it.

I think it is very important to test actual carry loads shooting through cloth. I am amazed at the number of people on these forums who swear by the ballistic performance of modern hollowpoints that do not even expand if fired through cloth. There are not a lot of naked bad guys out there. And some of the popular loads do not even expand from a 5" barrel, at least for 45 ACP. For example, when I tested the 230 gr Hydrashok in my 1911, only one round expanded, the rest behaved like FMJ. Why pay the premium if it will not expand properly when fired through a simple cloth barrier?

ProCarryNAustin
December 29, 2010, 03:09 PM
Plenty of testing by various agencies on the http://le.atk.com/ website. I don't think it was the cloth that led to the above results. I have had this happen plenty with newspaper.

If you enjoyed reading about "Range Report Federal HST 230 gr from G30" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!