I fell for another DAO Smitty

PDA

PCRCCW
January 24, 2003, 09:36 AM
I stumbled across this in my travels....I have a thing for two tone s/autos....oh well. My last DAO Smitty was a very nice CCW 3953 with nights..did a couple of tweaks to it. But sold it in a moment of weakness :banghead: I seem to have ALOT of those lately.
This is a 5943 SSV (Short slide version) For those who dont know of this gun (I didnt) Its a full size 5943 frame with a 6906 slide on it. The other differences are it came with a special trigger (the pull on this feels ALOT lighter than the 3953 and the total travel isnt more than 1/4 " overall..very very nice trigger) and they all came with Novak L=Mount nights. Mine has had the nights removed...have some on the way...:D
Its yet to be shot by me...appears to be at least 95% and came with 3 Hi Caps.
Now a question for all of you S&W GURU's.....I need you!
I spoke with a very wise person at S&W...she explained the gun to me....limited run of 500 or so...for a fed agency? Anyway.....the slide has a real bushing in it...like a 2nd gen gun.
Its not built in like the 3rd gen guns yet this is supposedly a 3rd gen gun....what gives? Ill shoot it a little today and report later on tonight.....should be great ....Im anticipating anyway......

Shoot well

If you enjoyed reading about "I fell for another DAO Smitty" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Handgun
January 24, 2003, 10:40 AM
Where did you find that?!? That is so cool. Do they have more of them?

Does the bushing look like those on the Performance Center guns?

Erich
January 24, 2003, 11:25 AM
Alas, I don't have any answer to your query about 2nd/3rd Gen (It's an atavism! A throwback to the 2nd Gen!), but I just wanted to write and compliment you on a neat gun.

I have a 6946 that I got from a friend. I wasn't a big fan of the way S&W's DAO system doesn't allow second strikes, but now that I've fired 1K rounds through it w/o a problem (except for it being a good idea to replace the recoil spring, but that's not what I'm talking about), I think the DAO system is pretty darn nice. With its tritium sights and a 5900 series mag sticking out the grip, the 6946 is now my bedside gun.

That 5943 SSV is pretty darn cool! Please do let us know how it shoots.

10-Ring
January 24, 2003, 12:09 PM
Ask over at the S&W forum. http://www.smith-wessonforum.com/cgi-bin/sandwcgi/Ultimate.cgi?action=intro

Congrats, you got a beauty there!

PCRCCW
January 24, 2003, 10:45 PM
Ok...update. While on my way to a sales call...I must have blacked out or something....very strange. Anyway..I woke up in the parking lot of a local indoor gun range...I wont name it because I slam it (Dougs) relentlessly mostly because the (Dougs) range sucks IMO..and the people at this nameless (Dougs) can be biased, rude and just plain ignore you.

Anyway...the thing took a couple of mags to get acclimated and at 10-12 yds I ended up keeping all 16 rounds in the black (3") or less.
My PCR Custom was rocking and rolling and all of a sudden it was shooting to the right...***?? My rear sight had come loose and moved to the right...it just floated around in the dovetail.....
Oh well....In the range back for you :cuss:
The 5943 proved very very accurate for a DAO gun Im unfamliar with...it feels good in my hands and the trigger pull is just flat *** great :evil:
I think I did OK.....I ran across a box of British Aerospace Ammo....
Nato spec made by Federal I think....this little 95 gr round flat *** rock.....very nice and cheap. Maybe a good defensive round.
I ran around 100 rnds thru it and nary a hiccup...very very nice.
Shoot well :D

Kahr carrier
January 25, 2003, 08:37 AM
Congrats sounds like a Nice find :)

New_comer
January 25, 2003, 12:41 PM
Congrats!!!

Sounds like you've found a great piece!! :D

Hardtarget
January 26, 2003, 12:45 AM
Now...about that trigger! Can you tell us a little more? I have a S&W Tactical .45 DAO and the trigger pull is the only thing I would like to change. If that trigger is an available item I would like some info. Maybe I could send mine in for some TLC from a good 'smith! Thanks.
Mark.

PCRCCW
January 26, 2003, 10:13 AM
The trigger according to S&W is a different configuration...all I know. I can call them next week and see what they say.
The DAO triggers have gone through a couple of different stages on smittys
My 3953 had a shorter pull than the newer DAO guns have, the TSW series etc. This trigger is the shortest and lightest Ive had by far. I think its had some smith work done to it....just playing with it makes me think its way to nice for a factory S&W trigger.
Ill let you know...
Shoot well

If you enjoyed reading about "I fell for another DAO Smitty" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!