Do you think these bids are real?

PDA

bushmaster1313
December 29, 2010, 10:30 PM
70K for a 1911?

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=206871796

If you enjoyed reading about "Do you think these bids are real?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
TG13
December 29, 2010, 10:32 PM
yes.

Hanzo581
December 29, 2010, 10:35 PM
There has been 137 bids, so I'd say yeah.

Sistema1927
December 29, 2010, 10:35 PM
Yep, I bet that it will go for over $100k.

brandon_mcg
December 29, 2010, 10:36 PM
hard to believe, but yes.

bushmaster1313
December 29, 2010, 10:45 PM
A model of the Starship Enterprise from Star Trek the Next Generation went at auction for $500,000.

But gun owners have more sense than Trekies

harqueb.us
December 29, 2010, 10:47 PM
Some people will pay a whole lotta money for something they'll never shoot.

jimmyraythomason
December 29, 2010, 10:50 PM
Ever watch the Barret-Jackson classic car auctions? People with a lot of money will give it for that SPECIAL toy.

Double Naught Spy
December 30, 2010, 01:44 AM
It is a pretty gun, but for the life of me, the only thing that seems to make that gun very special is the serial number and the designation on the side identifying it.

Beyond that, I don't see where the gun would be any more than a few thousand dollars because of the engraving and inlay.

9mmepiphany
December 30, 2010, 01:45 AM
A model of the Starship Enterprise from Star Trek the Next Generation went at auction for $500,000.

But gun owners have more sense than Trekies

They're not bidding on just any gun. There will be only one of these made and it is being offered for sale on the 100th birthday of the 1911.

These aren't just gun owners, these are collectors...I also think it will top $100k

As a sidebar: I'd say the owner of the model Enterprise will be able to show it off more, be admired by more fans of the show and will eventually be able to sell it for more than the 1911

MidwestRookie
December 30, 2010, 04:32 AM
i'd say "i'd take an ed brown executive elite over that", but whoever wins this auction could already buy 1000 ed browns so that point is moot...i'll just take a step back, lol.

car auctions are really a good example tho...hundreds of cars go for multiples of the price this gun will...there's a lot of money in this world. it's always bound to show up to something like this.

rskent
December 30, 2010, 05:08 AM
That is one sweet looking Colt. I always wanted an engraved Colt.
It looks like Iím a little short on cash though.
O well.

legion3
December 30, 2010, 05:11 AM
This was also mentioned further down in the auction,

Special Bonus Trip to Colt

As a very special bonus, the high bidder will be invited to visit the Colt Factory in Hartford, Connecticut on March 29, 2011-the official 100th Anniversary of the U.S. Army's approval of the 1911 as the U.S. Army sidearm. Winner will be given a private tour of the factory, will have lunch with Colt Management, receive a package of special Colt logo items and collectibles and will have photos taken with the Colt engravers. During this visit, the high bidder will visit the Colt Historical Department and will be presented with an official document authenticated his Colt as the one and only 100th Anniversary 1911 featured as the 2011 SHOT Show gun and featuring the historic 1911COLT2011 Serial number. And to top off this special package, the high bidder will have the opportunity to have his or her initials engraved on spare mainspring housing as a keepsake or to have installed on their 1911. Hotel and travel included but restrictions may apply.

The gun will be displayed in the Colt Booth at the SHOT Show in a custom-made case by Brookfield Case. The case will also become the property of the high bidder.

All proceeds from the auction of this historic firearm will benefit the programs to further the Hunting Heritage Trust's programs to further America's hunting and shooting sports heritage.

WC145
December 30, 2010, 06:12 AM
70K for a 1911?

It's not just a 1911.

tercel89
December 30, 2010, 07:58 AM
I'd shoot it ! It would look cool with a little wear and tear on it along with the fancy dancy designs ;)

sansone
December 30, 2010, 08:06 AM
very exciting, but I could buy a house for my son instead

donny640
December 30, 2010, 08:13 AM
I planned on following the last day of the auction ,interested in seeing how much this gun sales for. Would like to have it sitting in my safe.

larryh1108
December 30, 2010, 08:32 AM
If you won this gun for $100,000+, would you shoot it? If it was shot, how much value would it lose? Just looking for opinions...

rocky1
December 30, 2010, 09:58 AM
This specially engraved Colt 1911 celebrating the 100th anniversary of that acclaimed side arm and featuring the Serial Number 1911COLT2011 is a featured 2011 SHOT Show auction gun.

The funds generated through the Treasures & Traditions auction will benefit the Hunting Heritage Trust. Its mission is to provide support for innovative programs and strategic actions that will help perpetuate America's hunting and shooting sports heritage. The Hunting Heritage Trust is recognized as a 501c3 public charity by the IRS.

Yeah it's for real!

If you won this gun for $100,000+, would you shoot it? If it was shot, how much value would it lose? Just looking for opinions...

No... Value as a weapon would certainly not be diminished, value as a collectors item would be diminished. To what extent would be a relative thing. In the immediate future, it may have a significant impact. In the distant future, it may not significantly impact it. Dependent upon what you shot it at, the value might go up. <deleted> "Collecting" is not an exact science.

potmetal
December 30, 2010, 10:00 AM
Those bids wouldn't be so high if it wasn't for the trip to the Colt factory and lunch with the execs.
I've watched those Barrett-Jackson auctions a few times. That, and auctions like this, convince me that not everyone is suffering in this economy, just me I guess.

Iggy
December 30, 2010, 09:21 PM
Well heck, ya get lunch with it!!!:evil:

GJgo
December 30, 2010, 10:08 PM
All that money, and it sure looks like it has a plastic trigger like all those other "special edition" 1911s...

pabst_20
December 30, 2010, 10:13 PM
Way to much for something i would never get to play with

PT1911
December 30, 2010, 10:17 PM
Has there ever been anything on gunbroker that brought more than this?

captain awesome
December 31, 2010, 12:01 AM
Who ever wins that auction should try and convince the execs to make Pythons again, Among a few other choice guns. Pay em that kind of money and you would think they might listen.

Tomcat47
December 31, 2010, 12:07 AM
Geez!.....and I felt special buying a Taurus 608 and a beat up S&W Mod 36 today....:uhoh:

But Hey heck of year end Gun purchase for a working man! :)

SpodWo
December 31, 2010, 02:07 AM
I am sure those bidding think that $100,000.00 is pocket money....

LawScholar
December 31, 2010, 02:34 AM
I would never spend so much on a gun I'd never even fire, but that is still a pretty amazing piece of history. I hope whoever gets it loves it as much as any of us would.

rskent
December 31, 2010, 06:24 AM
If you could afford to buy it, you could afford to shoot it.
If it was mine I would shoot the heck out of it.
Steve

varoadking
December 31, 2010, 06:52 AM

If it was mine I would shoot the heck out of it.

I doubt that people who can afford it think that way about these things...

c_jit
December 31, 2010, 06:56 AM
I have put my bid for it.

CajunBass
December 31, 2010, 06:59 AM
A thousand here, a thousand there, pretty soon you're talking about real money.

You could also aford to not shoot it. People who buy guns like this have a pickup truck full of guns to shoot. Or they don't shoot at all.

IMTHDUKE
December 31, 2010, 09:04 AM
Yeah....I got the top bid right now. I plan on using it as my truck gun. Wait....if I buy it, I wont have a truck. OK....guess I'll pass.

c_jit
December 31, 2010, 11:26 PM
I lost at $81,000 :o

Guillermo
December 31, 2010, 11:44 PM
very exciting, but I could buy a house for my son instead

I am apparently a jerk...I am not even going to put my kid through college.

Interestingly enough...I am contemplating buying her a 1911 for high school graduation.

But not THAT one.

:eek:

outerlimit
January 1, 2011, 07:31 AM
Imagine what a little holster wear would do to the price.

I am sure those bidding think that $100,000.00 is pocket money....

Probably a few Warren Buffets in there, no doubt.

In response to the OP's question, shill bidding definitely goes on at all auction sites. Noticed a thread on Auction Arms where they caught another guy the other day.

I'm sure feEbay is the worst of it, just due to the number of auctions.

jon_in_wv
January 1, 2011, 08:37 AM
I don't know why but I'd love to buy that pistol, have some night sights milled into it, slap it into a $50 kydex holster, and make it my EDC.

Some holster wear would look good on it.

If I ever had to use it, at least the bad guy I shot would have the consolation that the gun that shot him was pimp.

bannockburn
January 1, 2011, 08:58 AM
Nice but not at that price.

I do wonder though what is the lowest serial numbered M1911 still in existence today, and what did it last sell for? Would be kind of interesting to compare the prices of the two guns; historical signifigance versus a one-of-a-kind special edition from the Colt factory.

CDH
January 1, 2011, 11:02 AM
It's value is based way more on what it represents than what it actually is, so I wouldn't even think of shooting it. It's value would most definitely be diminished.
Additionally, this is a "one and only, never can be duplicated again" item. So if I were to own it, I would think it to be my moral responsibility to preserve it for those who would became caretakers of such a classic long after I would be gone.
Sorry if that sounds a bit silly.

On the other hand, if I were to buy it (no, I'm not even suggesting I could ever afford it), as I'm sitting there having lunch with the Colt people, I'd ask them to make me an exact duplicate in every way (except of course for the serial number, which they couldn't duplicate if they wanted to).
I would guess that "close dupe" would cost only another $5K+-, and that's the one I'd shoot the hell out of. ;)

In fact, I'm willing to bet that Colt will later after the Shot Show offer a "Special Commemorative" edition identical to that one being auctioned now that would be in a special serial number series, but none of them would ever come close in real value to the "one and only" we're talking about.

My .02... well, maybe .01 worth of opinion. :rolleyes:

mickeyblueyes
January 1, 2011, 12:38 PM
Just wait next year , China will be sending over thousands of replicas at $250.

gordy
January 1, 2011, 02:04 PM
Do you think that if we all put up a five dollar bill we could by it?:cool:
We could take turns with it at our house and send it to the next guy.:scrutiny:
Kind of like the rabbit in grade school.:what:
I get it first!:neener:

Arkansas Paul
January 1, 2011, 03:01 PM
It is a pretty gun, but for the life of me, the only thing that seems to make that gun very special is the serial number and the designation on the side identifying it.

The thing that makes it special is that there is only one of them. There will only ever be one of them. One of the things that add to an items value is obviously rarity. Doesn't get any more rare than being the only one.

jon_in_wv
January 1, 2011, 03:20 PM
How much would it suck to buy that and then find out it was actually 1 0f 100.

wow6599
January 1, 2011, 03:26 PM
Some idiot who won the lottery will probably get it........then give it a camo Duracoat job.

Arkansas Paul
January 1, 2011, 06:43 PM
^ That's just funny!

jon_in_wv
January 1, 2011, 07:36 PM
OOOO Camo duracoat would be saaaweeeet!.

amblerrl
January 1, 2011, 07:43 PM
it would probably jam anyway, most colts do without some little tinkering

19&41
January 1, 2011, 08:06 PM
Bet a 5 buck piece of that pistol wouldn't hurt if you lodged it in your finger!

awesymoto
January 2, 2011, 02:56 PM
since when do record breaking gun sales happen on gunbroker lol. wow 82k and climbing.

If you enjoyed reading about "Do you think these bids are real?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!