Just bought one of my dream rifles! Win Mod 70 Featherweight 6.5x55 Swede!!

PDA

GJgo
December 30, 2010, 12:57 AM
Well, actually it's on layaway, but it'll be in my safe soon! Today was a good day. I was perusing the gun library @ Cabela's and there it was- *a Winchester Model 70 XTR Featherweight in 6.5x55 Swedish* for a reasonable price. I couldn't beleive it. When I got home I told my wife about it and she said "Well honey, if you really want it you can put it on layaway." and that's right about when my neighbors must have smelled the tire smoke. :what: :neener: :evil:

When I got back to the store it was still there! I grabbed it and went into the room with the salesman for a good look-over. This thing is in absolutely cherry condition, inside & out. The manager says he knows the guy that traded it in, said he bought it & stuck it in the safe thinking it was going to be worth a ton some day. Says he shot it very little, and I can tell. Only a couple small scratches and a little copper away from NIB. Apparently he got tired of waiting...

It's a G178XXXX s/n which I can't find anything on, there's not a good USRA serial list I can find. It is push-feed, standard mod 70 safety w/ a jeweled bolt, iron sights with a hood in the front, and a SWEET trigger. Very nice bluing. It has a different stock than on most Featherweights- there's no checking in it, and it's a real nice lighter peice of wood. (I actually prefer it to the standard Featherweight stock.) Plus it comes with a Pachmayr pad. Curious to figure out the vintage..

I've really wanted a 6.5 or a 260 in 8 twist for a long time now and never thought I'd come across one of these in this condition, so I'm super excited. Thought about a Tikka (plastic) or the 2011 Savage that's coming out in 260 (also plastic) but neither of these have anywhere near the class of this M70.. Can't wait to work up some handloads!

If you enjoyed reading about "Just bought one of my dream rifles! Win Mod 70 Featherweight 6.5x55 Swede!!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
jpwilly
December 30, 2010, 01:55 AM
Dude I'm pumped just reading your post! Nice score!

JDMorris
December 30, 2010, 01:58 AM
Nice, those are very high quality rifles, Hope you get it soon!

GJgo
December 30, 2010, 03:02 AM
So I've been scouring the net looking for info on this little gem. From what I can find, which isn't much, it looks to be a "XTR European Featherweight" produced on a limited run in 1986. Also interesting to note that the barrel is a heavier contour than all the other Featherweights I've seen, and the open sights look unique. Also, it looks like the original stock isn't on it, but I'm OK with that as I like this one. Good stuff.

JohnBT
December 30, 2010, 10:33 AM
Great rifle. My father had a featherweight .243 from the early '90s that was a fine rifle, but yours is better. He traded his on a BAR in .280 Rem.

Why do you think the stock is a replacement, the lack of checkering?

re: G178XXXX

From the Blue Book:

G1783276 was the last number of 1985
G1808838 was the last number of 1986

dan3
December 30, 2010, 10:43 AM
Congrats on your find!! I have a M70 XTR Featherweight in 7x57 with the iron sights - absolutly love it!!! I also found a gun shop take off "like new" Winchester M70 Synthetic stock...so now I don't worry about dinging the walnut stock.

JohnBT
December 30, 2010, 10:44 AM
Here's a NIB one and it does have a checkered stock.

Otoh, I'll bet you didn't pay $1130.01 for yours. :eek:

www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=206174572

GJgo
December 30, 2010, 10:56 AM
Thanks for the research, John. My s/n puts it in early '86. Looking at the photos in the GB auction that's definitely it, save for the change in furniture. ...and the much lower price. :D Mine's got a light peice of smooth wood with a Pachmayr pad, and more of a "normal" fore end shape- might be a laminate. I'll post pics once I get 'er home.

GJgo
December 30, 2010, 07:34 PM
So the next question I need to figure out is, does the M70 push feed use the correct bolt face for the .480" base diameter, or did they skimp & use the standard face from the .473" cartriges? Apparently while Lapua & Norma brass come with a correct .480", american brass cheaps out & uses .473"... Might have to wait till I pick it up to answer this question.

mongo4567
December 30, 2010, 07:42 PM
Congrats! 6.5x55 is one of my favorite calibers, I could never find a good deal on one of the M70's or Rem 700 classics.

BrocLuno
December 30, 2010, 08:33 PM
Awesome, need pictures :)

GJgo
January 5, 2011, 08:59 PM
I'll post pictures as soon as I get 'er home. :)

So I stopped by the store today to make a payment, and they were kind enough to grab the bolt so I could measure the head width with calipers. It measured .484", so it looks like it is good to go with Lapua brass. That's good news.

Watergoat
January 5, 2011, 11:30 PM
Wife got me one of those when they first came out, 1986. They were the overrun from a batch made for Northern Europe. Sold over here by, IIRC, Grice Wholesale in PA. You're right, the stock was checkered, fleur-de-lis pattern. I don't hunt much, but the four deer it has seen all fell Graveyard Dead, one shot, right there. Numrich used to have some correct stocks for those, maybe they still do. Any brand of brass works fine. Keep a check on case length. Mine likes 140 gr bullets over Reloader 22. You will kill more with this rifle than a magnum, as this one will never make you flinch. You should be able to hit golf balls with it at 200 yards. Enjoy!

Float Pilot
January 6, 2011, 01:15 AM
So the next question I need to figure out is, does the M70 push feed use the correct bolt face for the .480" base diameter, or did they skimp & use the standard face from the .473" cartriges?You are good to go with the correctly sized Lapua and Norma brass.
I have a push-feed M-70 in 6.5x55 and it prefers the Lapua brass.

I try to keep my M-70 loads separate from the loads I use in my old Swede Mausers.
The M-70s are MUCH stronger and thus I load them a little warmer.
Plus our M-70 featherweights only have a 22 inch barrel, so a little extra zip does not hurt.

Mine looked nice at first glance when I bought it...New in the box but stored sine the late 80s or early 90s...

But , it had a few problems.
The bedding was garbage
The front action screw was too long and hit the bottom of the bolt
The magazine popped open due to a non-completed latch
The bolt and feed ramp were very rough.

So I fixed all that and now she shoots ok for a super lightweight rifle.

Here are some loads that mine likes.

Winchester Model 70 Featherweight in 6.5x55 Swede Mauser.
*This rifle has been glass bedded.

At 100 yards, light snow, 32F. 6-8 knot wind.

Federal factory 140gr Soft Point:
= 2,375 fps, 0.50 inch group.

120gr Nosler Ballistic Tip: 46.5gr RL-19, Lapua, CCI BR-2, 3.085 col
= 2,560 fps and a 1.0 inch group

120gr Sierra Match King: 46.0 gr RL-19, Lapua, BR-2, 3.085 col
= 2,508 fps and a 0.50 inch group.

140gr Rem Accu-Tip, 47.0gr RL-22, Lapua Brass, CCI-200, 3.970 col
= 2,640 fps and a 1.0 inch group

140gr Nosler Partition, 47.0gr RL-22, Lapua Brass, CCI-200, 3.950 col
= 2,569 fps and a 1.5 inch group

140gr Hornady Soft :Point , 47.0gr RL-22, Lapua Brass, CCI-200, 3.850 col
= 2,575 fps and a 2.0 inch group

160gr Hornady Round Nose: 45.0 gr RL-22, PMC, Rem 9.5, 3.100 col
= 2,288 fps and a 1.5 inch group

ridgerunner1965
January 6, 2011, 08:21 AM
super good find!ever notice yu dont ever hear a lot of complaints about any rifle in 6.5x55?ive shot them against other bigger more powerfull calibers and was always surprised how they performed.there is no better more effecient caliber for deer sized game.

Rancho Relaxo
January 6, 2011, 02:34 PM
You must post pics when you pick it up!

Finprof
January 6, 2011, 08:16 PM
Congratulations. I only have two 6.5x55s - a Remington 700 and a Howa 1500. I would really like to have a Winchester of Ruger but the prices have gone out of sight. The only way I would do it is to buy a donor .270 or 30/06 and re-barrel. It wouold probably work out to be cheaper.

GJgo
February 5, 2011, 05:59 PM
Finally got some pictures! So, looking at this stock again, I'm wondering if it isn't original. it has a really, really tight glove-like fit to the action & barrel. I addition, a couple weeks ago I saw another Win 70 on the used rack in the local shop that had the same stock. What do you guys think?

I then removed the stock. It's already full length glass bedded! Looks like a pro job. Score. No pillars, but I can add those easy enough. It's got a seperate trigger guard / magazine cover.

I got out my trusty trigger gauge to test the trigger pull. Out of 5 pulls, it broke inconsistently between 1.4-2 lbs. I'm not familiar with W70 triggers, but I wonder if I could stiffen it up a bit to make it a consistent pull in the 2-2.5 range? My other hunting rifles are 2.5 lbs.

Ohio Gun Guy
February 6, 2011, 12:11 AM
There is a small puddle of drool on my keyboard...

Nice rifle, good find!

GJgo
February 10, 2011, 11:13 PM
I spent some time with the rifle today looking it over & cleaning it up. Just like Float Pilot, the bolt is rough & the feed ramp needed some polishing around the corners- there are a couple brass-scratching sharp edges. Also, on the open sights I noticed that the front sight is too high / rear sight is too low so you can't actually line them up! I'd like to find some blanking screws and remove it, anyway. I'll also need to fit the floor plate better, it is just a hair too long to close. I don't think this rifle was actually shot enough to be broken in, so I'll happily take that task on. :D

USSR
February 11, 2011, 08:06 AM
GJgo,

That is a nice looking rifle, but it is definitely not a M70 Featherweight.

don

dubbleA
February 11, 2011, 01:54 PM
GJgo,

That is a nice looking rifle, but it is definitely not a M70 Featherweight.

don

I would have to agree, the schanable fore end is a distinctive feature of the featherweight. The 80's FWT's had walnut stocks not a Boyds laminate classic style type stock.

GJgo
February 11, 2011, 02:42 PM
I've been looking around and I'll agree with you that it's not the original featherweight stock. However, as you can see from the second photo, the rifle itself is a Mod 70 XTR featherweight & the SN puts it as made in early 1986. I actually like this stock better, so win for me I guess.

GJgo
February 22, 2011, 11:02 PM
Spent some time working on the rifle today. First I removed the front sight & plugged the holes with blanking screws. The screws came right out which was nice. Next I tightened the trigger spring up a bit so now it breaks at a consistent 2 lbs. It was a little too light before. Finally I glass-bedded the 1-piece picatinny rail. It wasn't perfectly flat when tightened on both ends, so I bedded the "high" end so that it's perfectly flat when screwed down. You never would have known without a straight-edge & a feeler gauge.. Last thing to do is on the trigger guard- it's not square where the magazine plate snaps in so I need to file it to fit. Now I just need to find the right scope for 'er!

avs11054
February 23, 2011, 01:35 AM
Hey GJgo,

Nice Gun!

One other question that's a little off topic...Do you know if cabelas does layaway on all their guns, and if so, what are the terms?

snake284
February 23, 2011, 04:50 AM
That is a dream rifle! God what a gun! That's a great caliber in a great rifle. What more could you ask? I have some Yugo Actions that I'm slowly rebarreling. I thought about a 6.5x55. Then I got to thinking, why not a 6.5X57? It would fit the Yugo to a tee and you don't have to open up the bolt face or anything like that. And I suspect Ballistically, they are so close it stinks.

6.5swede
February 23, 2011, 10:48 AM
Good find! A classic rifle in a great caliber. I picked up a mint Win 70 FWT Classic in 6.5x55 last year for a fair premium price. Had the trigger adjusted to a crisp 2 lbs and action pillar/glass bedded. It's a pleasure to shoot. Enjoy your new rifle!

GJgo
February 23, 2011, 10:56 PM
AVS, yes. 25% down & 90 days. I doubt I could have picked it up without that, didn't exactly have the cash to burn..

6.5 Swede, nice stick :) What loads does it like? I've got some 140gr Amax I can't wait to try. I thought about putting pillars in it, think it's worth it?

snakeman
February 23, 2011, 11:01 PM
very nice

GJgo
February 27, 2011, 09:01 PM
Finished the "custom" fitting of the Weaver picatinny rail today, the end result is very nice. A little cutting, a little grinding, a little bedding, and voila- it fits & it's flat. Too bad it's naked!

elkhunt
March 5, 2011, 08:20 PM
I picked up this 6.5x55 CRF in January of this year. Enough wear to not worry, it will be my daughters rifle. I put Leupold QR bases and rings with a matte 3x9 Leupold on it. Looking forward to shooting it when it quits raining. Also, if anyone is looking, there's a guy in PDX is selling an "as new" (no box but has hang tags) European Featherweight in 6.5 Swede for $750, here's a link. http://www.northwestfirearms.com/rifle-shotgun-classifieds/52228-winchester-model-70-6-5x55-swedish-mauser.html
http://i704.photobucket.com/albums/ww43/elkhunt58/WinchesterModel7065Swede008.jpg
http://i704.photobucket.com/albums/ww43/elkhunt58/WinchesterModel7065Swede010.jpg

GJgo
March 5, 2011, 11:06 PM
Very nice, elkhunt. You must like the swede- a year & a half & this is your first post! ..If I get a cow tag this year I think I may take the Swede instead of my 300wsm. :)

I tried mounting my Swaro 3-10 on the Swede today with a set of low Warne rings. Well, it didn't quite line up for me. My cheek weld was a little high, which I could have dealt with, but with the long action I had it back as far as it could go and it wasn't quite far enough for where I want my eye relief to be. Looks like I need something with either a longer tube, or with a more generous eye relief. I'm giving serious thought to the Zeiss Conquest 3-9.

elkhunt
March 5, 2011, 11:19 PM
Yep, not much of a poster on HR. I was google searching that International FWeight, and this thread showed up. I thought I would jump in and post a picture of my Swede. I have a buddy who has been a long time shooter of the Swede, so he has loads all worked up, which will be nice. Nice scope choices, I am just sort of a boring Leupold guy... made in my State of Oregon. Are you using the quick detach Warne rings, those are very nice. I have a couple rifles I swap scopes on my .338 has a 3.5x10 scope and a 1.5x5 for heavy cover, again I use Leupold QD for that task. All the best.

6.5swede
March 5, 2011, 11:50 PM

6.5 Swede, nice stick :) What loads does it like? I've got some 140gr Amax I can't wait to try. I thought about putting pillars in it, think it's worth it?

Thanks and yours too. The trigger on mine was unacceptable, so while it was being worked on, I had the forearm pressure point sanded down, barrel free floated and the action pillar/glass bedded. It worked well for me....shoots well under an inch @ 100 with 125gr NPT's and 120gr TSX's. I have a Tikka T3 Swede that luvs the 140gr Berger hunting VLD's. You should definitely give the 140gr Amax's a try.

GJgo
March 20, 2011, 08:24 PM
Interesting find when I made my first handloads for the Swede the other day using a new Redding die set. The Lapua brass, out of the box, had a shoulder a few thou too long to easily close the bolt. So I FL sized the cases & the shoulder didn't move. Turns out I have to set the die to cam over a bit & knock the shoulder back about .002-.003" to get the bolt to smoothly close.

The good news is that the standard Redding FL sizer w/ the expander is producing brass with only .002" neck runout, and the Redding seater is seating the 140gr AMAX with also only .002" runout. :)

GJgo
June 6, 2011, 12:17 AM
Shot the Swede for the first time today! Just a few rounds, needed to get some fire formed brass to take some measurements. It's a real sweetheart. Picked up a Zeiss 3-9, fits great w/ Warne rings & has good eye relief. Loaded up some rounds to book length using H4831SC, some 43 & 44 gr loads. That's max in the Hornady book (to cope with the small ring mausers I guess) but it wasn't even hot enough to seal the necks (carbon back into the shoulder) or flatten out the primers at all. This should be a great cartridge to load for! :)

Owen Sparks
June 6, 2011, 01:13 AM
My old Sweedish Mauser that was made in 1907 will hit a dime off sandbags at 100 yards! Does it really get any better?

Float Pilot
June 6, 2011, 01:53 AM
Out of the three lightweight rifles I have left, the M-70 Featherweight in 6.5x55 is the best balanced and best in how it shoulders and handles.
The Husqvarna 1600 lightweight (top in photo) is a close second.
The M-700 Titanium on the bottom is a dream to carry, but odd to shoot.

I love the 6.5x55 cartridge, but the M-70 Featherweight does not shoot it as accurately as some of my Swede Mausers.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=143549&d=1307336014

GJgo
August 12, 2011, 12:17 AM
Had a chance to do a ladder test the other day with the H4831SC & the 140gr Amax. The throat is so long in this thing that there's no way I can get that bullet close to the lands, so I loaded them 100 thou off to get some neck tension. I loaded up rounds from 44 to 48 gr in 1 gr increments, had a hard time finding info onlne for this combo in a modern action. Necks didn't start to seal till around 46gr. At 48gr the brass looks good, pushes it out at 2700fps. Based on the fired brass there's a little more in it so I'll have to try again. 47 & 48gr were almost on top of each other so I bet I'm getting close right out of the gate. Dang, this thing shoots sweet!

Also picked up some 130gr TSX FB to try out. At the lands the base of the bullet comes close to the bottom of the neck in the brass, much better fit with the tangent ogive & FB with this super duper long throat. I just got a doe tag for this fall with this combo's name on it. :D

GJgo
August 21, 2011, 10:03 PM
Tried some loads with the 130 TSX FB today. I'm getting full neck engagement on the bullet at .050" off the lands. Having a real hard time finding loads for modern actions.. So, I tried starting at 47g H4831SC (since 48 was GTG in the 140 AMAX) but I was getting wipes on the case head right off the bat. 47.5gr was 2950 fps, and 48.5 popped a primer. Time to start going in the opposite direction! Suprising, the 130 TSX must have a much longer bearing surface than the 140 AMAX. The groups I can say are *very good*- I'm pleasantly suprised for a FWT barrel.

I've read that some guys go down to H4350 (a little faster) and have good success. I wonder if it'd work in this 22" barrel. Has anyone here tried it?

Float Pilot
August 22, 2011, 03:52 PM
The TSX bullets have more friction due to their long bearing surface and the fact they are made from a different metal. So they tend to show more pressure signs and sometimes show a little less velocity.

I have used H-4350 and H-100V in short barreled 6.5x55s with good results. Also RL-17 seemed to work well in my 22 inch M-70 fwt 6.5x55. (45 grains of RL-17 gives me 2,800 fps for a 140 grain SST. with no pressure signs. )

An Elk, Caribou, Moose, Deer or black bear will not know the difference between being shot with a bullet doing 2850 fps or one that blows the primers at 2950 fps. But your brass sure will.

GJgo
August 26, 2011, 12:19 AM
I have used H-4350 and H-100V in short barreled 6.5x55s with good results. Also RL-17 seemed to work well in my 22 inch M-70 fwt 6.5x55. (45 grains of RL-17 gives me 2,800 fps for a 140 grain SST. with no pressure signs. )
What kind of accuracy were you seeing with RL17? I've tried it in a number of other calibers, and while I can always get more velocity than I can with H powders, the accuracy & velocity ES has never been as good.

Get R Done Guns
August 26, 2011, 01:09 AM
Congrats,

Always nice when you get a gun you have wanted! Nice rifle!

bear007
November 27, 2012, 04:46 AM
My father gave me a model 70 XTR featherwight in 6.5x55 I love it I also have one in a U.S. krag side loader officers model carbine from 1917. I use a Simmons Aetec Master 2.8-10X44 Rifle scope with sun shade on the xtr for hunting great rifle I love this caliber. My XTR shoots all 6.5 ammo with no issues at all and only now and then does the trap door not lock up right great find.

bear007
November 27, 2012, 04:55 AM
I picked up this 6.5x55 CRF in January of this year. Enough wear to not worry, it will be my daughters rifle. I put Leupold QR bases and rings with a matte 3x9 Leupold on it. Looking forward to shooting it when it quits raining. Also, if anyone is looking, there's a guy in PDX is selling an "as new" (no box but has hang tags) European Featherweight in 6.5 Swede for $750, here's a link. http://www.northwestfirearms.com/rifle-shotgun-classifieds/52228-winchester-model-70-6-5x55-swedish-mauser.html
http://i704.photobucket.com/albums/ww43/elkhunt58/WinchesterModel7065Swede008.jpg
http://i704.photobucket.com/albums/ww43/elkhunt58/WinchesterModel7065Swede010.jpg
elkhunt is that a 6.5x55 in stainless? were did you find it I would love one in stainless!

If you enjoyed reading about "Just bought one of my dream rifles! Win Mod 70 Featherweight 6.5x55 Swede!!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!