Federal Hydra shock 135 grain HP 9mm low recoil

PDA

TheProf
December 30, 2010, 03:04 PM
Ok... some say these are great... others almost imply that they will simply bounce off bad guys..

What are your opinion on this ammo?

If you enjoyed reading about "Federal Hydra shock 135 grain HP 9mm low recoil" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
gofastman
December 30, 2010, 05:22 PM
I wouldn't volunteer to be shot with it, I'm sure it would kill some[thing] too, but its very close to my last choice.

ask yourself this, why would you run sub-par, oldschool ammo when a box of the top shelf stuff is the same price? (GoldDot, HST, Ranger-T, etc.)

shootingthebreeze
December 30, 2010, 09:14 PM
http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/Corbon%209mm%20115.htm

Better.

Onward Allusion
December 31, 2010, 02:09 PM
Bounce off BG's - OMG LOL!

Hydra-Shoks & Hi-Shoks have been the gold standard for many years in the LE community. Yes the design is a bit older, but it feeds reliably in almost all guns, especially the older 9mms. If you must have the latest greatest, go HST.

TheProf (http://www.thehighroad.org/member.php?u=100777)
Federal Hydra shock 135 grain HP 9mm low recoil
Ok... some say these are great... others almost imply that they will simply bounce off bad guys..

TheProf
December 31, 2010, 03:17 PM
Thank goodness for one positive post...

I just bought a bunch of these to try out... ( I know, I should have done my internet research first before buying a couple of boxes... which is not cheap on my budget)...

But after doing my online research on hydra shock "personal defense rounds"....

Most of the comments described them as ineffective and outdated. I'm just thinking... has the human body changed that much in the past 10 years?

If you use this ammo, please sound off (to make me feel better).
If you don't and have a good reason why.... please sound off too (to educate me...even though it might be painful)

My idea of this ammo is that it may not penetrate hard obstacles...but it will penetrate human flesh and hit vital organs and stop the BG? right?

(In other words, if the BG is not behind a barrier...will this round do for self-defense? Does it expand reliably?)

shootingthebreeze
December 31, 2010, 03:44 PM
TheProf, I like jacketed hollow points-the bigger the hollow point (especially with smaller calibers like .380) the better.
With lower caliber you want a large wound channel and, good penetration. Plus, as the bullet mushrooms, stopping action to reduce overpenetration.
There are hollow points and hollow points. You want to look for those with proprietory design which mushroom the same every time (like Hornady).
Now to give a positive spin to Hydra Shock nothing wrong with that bullet as long as it penetrates. That's the key, especially taking heavy clothing in consideration.

Wishoot
December 31, 2010, 04:07 PM
Prof- I use 165 Hydra Shoks in my Glock 22 (40 S&W). I can only comment on how well they feed in my gun and they feed just fine. I've never had a single problem with them. Then again, so do the HST's, Gold Dot's and Golden Sabers I've used.

Based on my limited research of the Hydra Shoks, they are reliable and expand well. I can't ask much more of my ammo.

My understanding is that the boxes marked "Law Enforcement" are bonded while the others are not.

I can not comment on how effective they are on a bad guy however and I hope I never have to find out if they're effective on a bad guy either.

Steve C
December 31, 2010, 04:36 PM
They have good ballistics with higher velocity than the 147gr but heavier than the 125grs bullets that should give deeper penetration. I wouldn't expect them to be too low recoiling though, more like standard velocity ammo.
Load No Caliber Grains/ Grams Bullet Style Brand
PD9HS5H 9mm Luger ( 9x19mm Parabellum ) 135 / 8.75 Hydra-Shok® JHP Premium® Personal Defense® Velocity in Feet per Second ( To nearest 10 FPS )
Muzzle 25 Y 1060 fps
50 Y 1026 fps
75 Y 996 fps
100 Y 970 fps

Shipwreck
December 31, 2010, 04:50 PM
I carry 124 gr hydrashok in my Beretta 92FS and in my PM9, along with my P2000 HK.

I personally like them. The POI/POA with them are great. I can find them easily, and I have put a lot them thru my guns. Since one should practice with their carry rounds, I generally stick with the same thing.

Tacoma
December 31, 2010, 05:03 PM
Ask about any ammo and you'll always get opinions on what is better and/or wrong with it. In the end, it really depends on YOUR confidence in what you carry. That said, This ammo has been around a while and has a positive track record so is clearly not a bad choice. As with any of the lighter calibers, shot placement is critical. The "low recoil" aspect should help you with that. As for penetration, make sure the BG isn't wearing a heavy wool hat and you'll be good ;)

KodiakBeer
December 31, 2010, 05:17 PM
ask yourself this, why would you run sub-par, oldschool ammo when a box of the top shelf stuff is the same price? (GoldDot, HST, Ranger-T, etc.)

Uh, because it's better? http://www.handloads.com/misc/stoppingpower.asp?Caliber=15

Lonestar49
December 31, 2010, 05:37 PM

Ref: 134gr 9mm JHP's or -

To quote a great saying: "I'd rather face an idiot with a 45 (with 230gr JHP's) vs facing a 'Marksman' with a 9mm (shooting 147gr, 135gr 124gr or 115gr JHP's)"

Depending on which 9mm is in use, for me, it's either 147gr JHP's or 124gr JHP's

But, if your gun will shoot 135gr JHP's, it's not the worst choice of the group, IMOH,

OMMV

Ls

PabloJ
December 31, 2010, 07:01 PM
If they would cycle in my gun and accuracy was acceptable I would not hesitate to use them. Gun guys are notorious for making mountains out of anthills. The difference in performance from standard velocity stuff is probably infinitesimal.

Hypnogator
January 1, 2011, 01:08 AM
I wouldn't want to get hit with one, but nowadays there are better bullets out there, e.g., Federal Tactical Bonded, Federal HST, Cor-Bon DPX.

joe_security
January 1, 2011, 01:24 PM
Low recoil = shot placement. Whats not to like ?

gofastman
January 1, 2011, 06:03 PM
Most of the comments described them as ineffective and outdated. I'm just thinking... has the human body changed that much in the past 10 years?
No, but supercomputers and other CAD technology has improved drastically.

Uh, because it's better? http://www.handloads.com/misc/stoppi...asp?Caliber=15
100% false science

TheProf
January 1, 2011, 11:01 PM
Do any major police dept. still use this ammo?

silversport
January 2, 2011, 08:38 AM
9mm or the 135GR low recoil...the technology of handgun bullets has progressed FAR in the last 20 years...the differences in caliber with quality bullet design is a lot closer then it had been...

Bill

If you enjoyed reading about "Federal Hydra shock 135 grain HP 9mm low recoil" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!