Here's Me Converting An Anti-Gunner

PDA

Joshua M. Smith
December 30, 2010, 04:55 PM
Hello,

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b191/WabashShootist/th_523626970483_1584.jpg (http://s19.photobucket.com/albums/b191/WabashShootist/?action=view&current=523626970483_1584.mp4)
(click to play)

The above video is of me giving quick instruction to Nancy, my brother's fiance.

I'm the fat guy (I really need to lose that weight -- done it before), she's the shooter (of course), and Shawn, my brother, is doing the filming.

The load was a 128gn ball backed by 25gns Goex 2Fg.

She's from the Boston area, and I give her a hard time about being a stuck up New Englander who won't even try squirrel. ;-)

My brother was wanting to buy a 9mm before he found out how tough they are to get in Massachusetts, but while I was helping him with the selection process, she was a bit against it.

No longer! She doesn't want to shoot at anything alive. I suggested clays, and she thought that might be fun. This will be primarily Shawn's thing to teach her -- he knows the basics from what I taught him growing up, but both need further instruction. I guess there's a gun club near where he lives, and while I can instruct him over the phone and internet, they need to find some local help before they try to go it alone.

But, that was fun. One shot taken right before they had to leave may have changed an entire outlook. Funny how that can happen.

Oh, and yes, I realize we weren't wearing eye protection. It was a goof on my part. Shouldn't have happened.

Josh

If you enjoyed reading about "Here's Me Converting An Anti-Gunner" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
junkman_01
December 30, 2010, 05:03 PM
Well done Joshua!

I have that same rifle. It's a CVA. I like it except for the two piece stock.
Your load of 25 gr. of 2f was very light. I usually use 60 grains for hunting. ;)

Joshua M. Smith
December 30, 2010, 05:24 PM
Hi Junkman,

I usually use the caliber as a starting load; i.e., .45 caliber gets a starting load of 45gns 2Fg. Max load is half the weight of the ball, or about 65 to 70gns. It will take more than that - about 90gns IIRC, but I've found accuracy usually lays between those two points on most rifles.

The 25gn load is my squirrel gettin' load. She was going to shoot something, and I didn't want to use a pistol or centerfire rifle. My .22 rifle is a left handed bolt action with a lefty stock and a trigger I engineered into a single set trigger, so that was too complex and wouldn't have fit her.

I keep my muzzleloaders loaded. The .50 had a 70grn charge in it for bowling over danged near anything in North America, but the .45 Kentucky had a 25grn load for squirrels, so I grabbed it. I didn't want something knocking her off her feet the first time around. Some folks think that's funny, but I think those folks should be hosswhupped.

I really should find an old Steven's Favorite for teaching basic marksmanship, and I'm a fan of them anyway - not the new ones, but the old ones with the heavy barrels.

The Kentucky served well, though. It doesn't look as threatening as a modern "tactical" rifle, and has a rich history in this nation. It doesn't inspire fear, and, as such, is ideal for teaching.

But I'm off on a tangent. Yeah, I use 50 or 60gns as the "serious" charge. I just enjoy squirrel hunting more than deer hunting, and I always keep a modern rifle and a muzzleloader both loaded for squirrel.

Thanks!

Josh

ClemBert
December 30, 2010, 05:53 PM
Jolly good show Josh!

I love it when a liberal anti-gunner actually shuts their pie-hole and tries out a firearm. The reaction is typically reserved but positive. I went through the same process with my girlfriend, a transplant from Brazil with no knowledge of firearms just impressions from the liberal anti-gunners. I took her out to shoot with my 1851 BP revolver. Her first shot she nailed a tin can at quite a distance and had such a positive experience. I even had her loading her own shots before the end of the day. Not to hijack your thread but below are a few pics.

Again Josh, good job! :D

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e212/SyberTiger/Firearms/Vivi/Picture007.jpg

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e212/SyberTiger/Firearms/Vivi/Picture002.jpg

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e212/SyberTiger/Firearms/Vivi/Picture012.jpg

CoRoMo
December 30, 2010, 06:12 PM
Nancy seems to have a hard time of not smiling. Telling.

SixxshootinSam
December 30, 2010, 07:03 PM
dont let mykeal see you blowing on that barrel like that :uhoh:

Nice vid, I endorse this heartily ;)

J-Bar
December 30, 2010, 08:57 PM
Pretty girls, pretty guns.

I love this thread!

DrLaw
December 31, 2010, 10:20 AM
I find it a great awakening when an anti-gun person learns what exactly it is we feel when we shoot for recreation (or hunting). This is something we all should do. To use that tired old phrase, each trip starts with one step.

You did good!

The Doc is out now. :cool:

Sniderman
December 31, 2010, 10:52 AM
Thumbs up to Joshua!

Nice work, I agree fully with you on the light load for a newbie.

Also, Like the pretty women and smokepoles thread!

Listen up Campers! Again, Light loads for newbies!

4v50 Gary
December 31, 2010, 02:02 PM
Well done Joshua. Blackpowder is an easy way to introduce non-gunners to a lot of fun. I took one neutral person to a rendezvous and she had a blast.

scrat
January 1, 2011, 05:03 PM
Well done to both of you

If you enjoyed reading about "Here's Me Converting An Anti-Gunner" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!