8mm Mauser availability

PDA

Kestryll
December 27, 2003, 04:32 PM
How readily available is 8mm Mauser ammo?
Is it just mil-surp or is there much new production retail ammo as well?
Thanks!

If you enjoyed reading about "8mm Mauser availability" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Snowdog
December 27, 2003, 04:42 PM
I stocked up on FN surplus ammunition (circa 1950), but I haven't used it much as I hate to clean for corrosive ammuniton.

Occasionally, www.cheaperthandirt.com sells Sellier & Bellot 7.92x57JS for around $9/20. This is loaded close to the caliber's potential from my understanding, is brass case and boxer primed (reloadable).
You'll find a few other recent commercial loading for the 8mm besides the anemic (yet perfectly fine for deer) Federal and Remington offerings in Shotgun News.

Jack19
December 27, 2003, 04:45 PM
Right now 8mm is everywhere and it's cheap. That could change with a stroke of a pen. In which case, we'll all be rebarreling to .308.

Igman 8mm is commercially loaded although I've never used it.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/8mm.html
http://www.southernohiogun.com/ammunition.html
http://catalog.jgsales.com/

Kestryll
December 27, 2003, 04:48 PM
How involved is rebarreling a mauser? Are the Yugos any easier or harder than others?

December 27, 2003, 05:02 PM
I thought that US manufacturers such as Remington made 8mm factory ammo ? Americans have been shooting 8mm Mausers for close to 100 years.
I know PMC does. Midway shows Federal and Olympic.
It isn't rare by any means.

I have a couple cases of surplus stuff and I handload for that caliber. Brass is readily available: Midway shows brass manufactured by Remington and Winchester.

Langenator
December 27, 2003, 05:47 PM
I'll ask a question that's a bit of a tangent to the original: Given all the milsurp 8mm out there, what kinds work best in the karbine length (98k, M48, vz24) Mausers?

I've seen two different bullet weights (154gr, 198 gr) advertiesed, from four different countries (Romania, Yugoslavia, Turkey, and Germany) with tow different case types (steel and brass).

Right now, I'm personally leaning toward buying the Turkish stuff (154 gr, brass), although the Romanian stuff is cheaper, I'm a bit wary of the lacquered steel casings.

Feanaro
December 27, 2003, 05:53 PM
Remington, Winchester and Federal all have 8mm loads I believe. But they're all hunting rounds and underpowered at that.(A bare 2400ish FPS with a 160-180 grain bullet compared to the 196 grain, 3000 FPS that most Mausers were designed for.) Olympic and Igman also have some.

To the best of my knowledge, the 196 grain stuff should be the most accurate since that's what most of the Mauser were designed for.(Again, to the best of my knowledge) The laquer shouldn't hurt in a bolt action.

VG
December 27, 2003, 06:26 PM
I've used Sellier & Bellot & Igman in a Yugoslavian M48. S&B is more accurate.

Federal Classic and Winchester Super-X (both 170 gr) are also available. And Olympic 180, probably others.

telewinz
December 27, 2003, 06:29 PM
There is a ton of Romanian and Yugo 8mm surplus out there dirt cheap $60 for 900 rounds! And the Turkish 8mm ammo is even cheaper. I bought an FN49 just to take advantage of the cheap shooting. Same with the 7.62X54mm Russian. I purchased a Romak3 because the ammo was so cheap .95 per 15 rounds from AIM! Boy did I stock-up. I seldom shoot my FAL, Garand, or M1A anymore. For that matter my reloading is limited to pistol ammo only. But I do have dies for everything just in case.:D

Okiecruffler
December 27, 2003, 11:54 PM
but you might as well be shooting a 30-30. Not even close to the round's true potential. S&B is good, and you can always pay more for Norma if you can find it. I believe the 8X57's reputation was tarnished by the weak US loadings. Before I started buying the Turk surplus, I ran reloads of 170gr bullets at a tad over 2900fps and I know guys who load WAY hotter than that.

SMLE
December 28, 2003, 12:01 AM
The US makers download 8mm/7.9x57 as a "CYA" measure. Too many 1888 commission rifles out there that could very well fail if fired with full-spec "S" ball.

The same is true for many other calibers as well.

Kestryll
December 28, 2003, 03:54 AM
I am trying to decide between a Spanish Mauser in .308 and a Yugo Mauser in 8mm.
Whichever I get is getting scoped and will be my 'reach out and touch something' rifle until finaces improve. So I am kind of looking to see how easy it would be to get ammo. I know .308 is everywhere but I don't know about 8mm. I would hate to have a rifle that needs specialty ammo in a crisis, and I hate corrosive ammo.

plateshooter
December 28, 2003, 08:09 AM
Midway carries Remington brass and core-locked bullets for the 8mm. I just bought a few hundred of each.

telewinz
December 28, 2003, 10:01 AM
and I hate corrosive ammo.
Its not that bad, I use it in semi-autos. I just spray a patch with windex and swab out the bore and gas tube then spray with WD40. In bolt actions it takes less than two minutes, in my Romak3 and FN49 maybe 5 minutes. Its an easy trade-off for the very cheap shooting and since I have to swab out the bore anyhow how "dirty" the ammo is (Turkish) isn't a factor.

Langenator
December 28, 2003, 10:28 AM
Sounds like I'm going to have to get some of every kind and try it out to figure which kind(s) work best. Oh darn...:D

Hope I can find a bunch at the next gunshow.

ojibweindian
December 28, 2003, 10:26 PM
Kestryll

I'd get the Yugo. If memory serves me well, the Spanish Mauser is not a K98 variant and is not designed to safely handle high intensity cartridges such as .308 Winchester. Others more versed in this than me, please correct me if I am wrong.

Anyway, as of this time, 8x57 is dirt cheap. Southern Ohio Guns recently had 900 rounds of 8mm for under $80. This translates to roughly $0.08 per round.

J Calhoun
December 28, 2003, 11:55 PM
Yep, the Spanish is a small ring. Not originally designed for the higher pressures of modern cartridges.

A good 8mm Mauser cartridge is the 196gr match ammo made by FNP of Portugal. It shot very well out of my 1944 K98k. It is good brass too. Still use it.

If you handload, just get some brass and bullets. There are a lot of makers of both. I use Remington brass and Sierra MatchKings.

There are commercial hunting loads available also. Just don't expect to get them at general stores.

Mausers are rather light and have metal butt plates. Hope you don't mind some recoil. You also may want to consider a synthetic stock.

mwithers72
December 29, 2003, 12:11 PM
I picked up some 8mm Mauser Rem at my local walmart this weekend. 19.99 for 20 rnds

If you enjoyed reading about "8mm Mauser availability" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!