Uberti 1858 New Army - Percussion Cylinder Q's

PDA

alienbogey
December 30, 2010, 09:02 PM
I have a Uberti 1858 Remington New Army incoming and I'd like to get an extra percussion cylinder or two. Questions:

1. So long as you buy the proper Uberti cylinder, do they normally just drop right in and function properly?

2. What's a good source? About the only place I can find that seems to have them in stock is Taylor's at $60 each.

Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Uberti 1858 New Army - Percussion Cylinder Q's" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Tommygunn
December 30, 2010, 11:57 PM
My experience in changing cylinders in Uberti guns is not extensive, but in most cases they change out fine.
The only problem I ever recall was getting a full-length fluted cylinder for a Colt 1861 and the locking bolt wouldn't work. This was never resolved because I had to move and the moving van caught fire and the only firearms related things I had consigned to the van was a couple spare cylinders and some tools for BP guns. When all was cleaned up the only thing they recovered was the tools. Slightly melted ... in fact.

Hellgate
December 31, 2010, 01:11 AM
I ruined two Uberti Remington cylinders doing (a-hem) some home "gunsmithing" without the proper tools (some would say, butchery). I sucked it up to a lesson learned, coughed up $80 bucks and bought two more cylinders that just dropped in and have functioned flawlessly (they are unmodified, I might add).

If you enjoyed reading about "Uberti 1858 New Army - Percussion Cylinder Q's" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!