1911 guide rod preening

PDA

dashootist
December 31, 2010, 11:22 AM
Hi. It's a Norinco 1911. The guide rod looks like it's been smacked hard a lot. Does this mean my reload is too hot? Do I just buy another guide rod from Brownell and drop it in?

If you enjoyed reading about "1911 guide rod preening" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
wally
December 31, 2010, 11:57 AM
A photo would help to see what you are really talking about, but they all develop a little horseshoe-like mark from being pinched between the slide and the frame if you shoot full power loads.

Jim Watson
December 31, 2010, 12:29 PM
I would put in a fresh 16 lb recoil spring; 18 if but only if you are shooting +P loads.
A lot of the foreign knockoffs cut corners on spring quality.

9mmepiphany
December 31, 2010, 01:12 PM
How often are you changing your recoil spring and how heavy a spring are you running?

1911Tuner
December 31, 2010, 01:19 PM
It could also mean that the steel that the guide rod is made of is soft. The question is...How does the frame's impact abutment look?

dashootist
December 31, 2010, 01:48 PM
Never changed the spring. Pistol was NIB when I bought it. Put 2000 rounds thru it, some pretty hot for bowling pin. The frame looks fine. Norinco frame is super duper hard.

Sorry my camera can't take some objects.

tomwalshco
December 31, 2010, 11:06 PM
I would put in a fresh 16 lb recoil spring; 18 if but only if you are shooting +P loads.
A lot of the foreign knockoffs cut corners on spring quality.
I'd agree 100%. A new spring should take care of it. Splurge and get a couple of different strengths. $7.50ea at Wolff, if I recall... And another product they have is a 4 spring calibration kit 17.5 to 22. Think they throw in some firing pin springs, too.

Thought I read somewhere that Norincos were made out of recycled railroad tracks, which is about as hard as you can get.

If you enjoyed reading about "1911 guide rod preening" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!