M16 Explosion...Your Take

PDA

Tomcat47
January 1, 2011, 02:54 AM
Check this out and then tell me what you think:
CAUTION! CONTAINS IMPROPER LANGUAGE AT END! Turn sound off..dont need it anyway!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oh1lyMyejpI

At what point would you have taken this gun off of the range?

Me .. at about 34 seconds .... this kid was done with that firearm!

He was lucky! I Suspect a squib! Give me your take, and watch when he changes magazine...he ejects what I believe to be a a empty case which leads me to believe after installing new mag the bolt was not closing..

causing click,click,click....

until he beats in into posistion finally and firing live round on plugged barrel?

If you enjoyed reading about "M16 Explosion...Your Take" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Gord
January 1, 2011, 02:58 AM
Older than the internet.

Tomcat47
January 1, 2011, 03:07 AM
Sorry...had not seen it, must work too much, lol .... but anyway, my deal is really a question regarding when would you have stopped the shooter on the range, seeing the problems as they stack one on top of the other.

You can see this going wrong,wrong, wrongest in a matter of seconds! :uhoh:

blackevilgun
January 1, 2011, 03:10 AM
I was thinking the same thing Tomcat47

otisrush
January 1, 2011, 03:18 AM
I know what I'd LIKE to say I'd do: After the 2nd "click" - and thinking I needed to *force* the action closed - I'd think "Something's wrong here."

In reality - if that were me - I don't know that I'd catch myself. I think I probably would think something was amiss if I was slamming the action closed.

Tomcat47
January 1, 2011, 03:53 AM
When I seen him eject the last round out of 1st magizine...I thought now why did it not eject that casing?

My thought is (reload or not) powderless round...thus Squib!....Thus using the bolt and live round to beat bullet on down in chamber....thus click...

Beat some more
beat some more
beat some more

you get the picture! I would have flagged him at ejecting the round by hand!
or first click (34 sec)

kwelz
January 1, 2011, 10:34 AM
I am not sure it was a squib round followed by a hot round. It is hard to tell but I don't think I hear any primers go off on those bad rounds. My bet is that the last round was a double charge or used the wrong powder. Of course I could be wrong. Either way it showed a lack of understanding of the proper way to handle such malfunctions when using reloaded ammunition.

FIVETWOSEVEN
January 1, 2011, 10:37 AM
I'm not sure about that. I've had a squib happen to me and it sounded like it was a misfire but there was a very slight hiss that could easily not be heard on a youtube video.

DeepSouth
January 1, 2011, 10:52 AM
Just wanted to let you know My wife, seven, and eleven year old were in the room when the guy shouted the explicative's. Next time a little "Note" somewhere in the OP would be nice.

kwelz
January 1, 2011, 11:00 AM
Very possible. Was just giving my take on it.

Gouranga
January 1, 2011, 11:36 AM
Now with my smaller AR, I have had an occasion that the bolt would not close quite all the way. On those occasions i have to actually press it a little hard to get it to close. You can tell though there is nothing pushing back, it slides forward pretty easily. If I have to jam it to close it, my first thing would be to pull the mag, empty the chamber, and pop that sucker open so I could look down the barrel with a flash light (obviously from the chamber to the end not visa versa).

I may have been lucky but I have never had to slam on a firearm to get the action to close.

Tomcat47
January 1, 2011, 03:47 PM
My Apologies to Deep South and family....

I did not even hear sound as I was on my netbook . . . I will grab earphones for future.

Again I apologize. . . my mistake! :uhoh:

Pronghorn
January 1, 2011, 04:30 PM
Possibly a round discharged but did not leave the muzzle due to an improper powder charge. This causing a plugged barrel resulted in the next round discharging, "blowing up" the rifle. As far as the magazine shattering, I would suspect that its a cheap plastic mag, and since the action is closed and the barrel/headspace was compromised, the resulting pressure goes straight out the magwell.

DeepSouth
January 1, 2011, 06:59 PM
My Apologies to Deep South and family....

I did not even hear sound as I was on my netbook . . . I will grab earphones for future.

Again I apologize. . . my mistake!

No sweat, the fact that you apologized for something you didn't even know was there says more about your character than anything. More folks like you would do the world good.

CoastieShep
January 1, 2011, 09:45 PM
I thought they were "duds" since they ejected them and said bad primer. Pretty sure I would've checked the first "bad primer" when I ejected it to make sure it had a solid hit. If it did, back to the firing line. However, when it blew up, it looked like it was the magazine that blew up. Watched a couple times, didn't see the reciever blow up. Correct me if I'm wrong?

gym
January 1, 2011, 11:28 PM
I heard that going wrong, before he fired it.

therewolf
January 2, 2011, 03:37 AM
Listen to the dialogue:

"Bad primer..."
"Bad primer... ...ya gotta know how to load these things..."

"I didn't load these, Brian did."

"WHOA! ********!, Etc."

Unless they got ahold of an early Viet Nam War AR15,(doubtful) it's very likely they were using poorly handloaded rounds.

db_tanker
January 2, 2011, 09:06 AM
someone never told that young man about SPORTS.

of course, if therewolf is correct and it was a handloading issue like he heard, I am thinking that a small-base die set or a good crimp might have been the culprit.

D

jeepguy
January 2, 2011, 12:19 PM
if i was at the range i would have handled it very differently, but if i was in a defensive situation i don't know what i would do. i too have seen this before and think what would i do when it counts? its one thing to be at the range with all the time in the world and perfect conditions but when your life & the life of your family is on the line thats different. i only shoot factory so i might get a bad round once in a while, but usually not quite like that. if it was my friend i would not let him get past the 45 seconds mark. tap, rack and no-bang woud have done it for me. i would have pulled the bolt and took a look to see what was going on in there. he was vey lucky to say the least.

Avenger29
January 2, 2011, 12:25 PM
"However, when it blew up, it looked like it was the magazine that blew up. Watched a couple times, didn't see the reciever blow up. Correct me if I'm wrong?"

When you have an event like this in the AR, the mag is typically blown out of the gun because it's the path of least resistance. Not saying the rest of the rifle will or will not be damaged, but it's a good thing that much of the force is directed through the magwell.

The upper reciever, BCG, or barrel extension might be damaged, but they usually won't blow apart in your face.

Remember, know what you are doing if you are handloading and don't buy ammunition of dubious quality, and it greatly lessons your chance of experiencing a kaboom.

CoastieShep
January 2, 2011, 02:50 PM
Thanks Avenger.

If you enjoyed reading about "M16 Explosion...Your Take" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!