Firearms Product Placement

PDA

JaxNovice
January 1, 2011, 03:40 PM
Do firearms manufacturers actively pursue product placement in movies and TV?

If you enjoyed reading about "Firearms Product Placement" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
bigfatdave
January 1, 2011, 03:50 PM
I know Kel Tec was happy to have a PF9 featured in the new Hawaii 5-0 ... but beyond that I don't know.
You often see made-up gun names in movies/TV shows, I'm not sure if it is deliberate greeking or incompetent research.

Doesn't Kahr have a "Kahr on the screen" page on their site?

JaxNovice
January 1, 2011, 04:12 PM
Every now and then I will surf through IMFDB.org to see what guns were in a movie I just saw. I have always wondered if companies like Sig or Beretta try to place guns in movies.

I was tortured to watch Knight and Day with his supreme alien Tom Cruise and he carried a P250 for a portion of the film. I found it a curious choice and wondered if Sig placed it in the movie.

au01st
January 1, 2011, 04:30 PM
I was tortured to watch Knight and Day with his supreme alien Tom Cruise and he carried a P250 for a portion of the film. I found it a curious choice and wondered if Sig placed it in the movie.

I watched that movie last night and in a scene in the warehouse where he leaves her alone for a minute, you see her looking at the gun and she reads "Made in Austria" and looks the gun over... I didn't get a good enough look at the gun (really stopped watching the movie and just had it on and playing while I was doing stuff around the house as the plot was easy enough to follow) but found that line funny. A later scene had them on a train in Austria, so it may have something to do with that.

MAKster
January 2, 2011, 02:59 PM
In the third Bourne movie they did a close up on the Sig Pro grip which surely was a paid product placement.

General Geoff
January 2, 2011, 03:11 PM
As a big pencil & paper roleplayer, I've found that many, many firearms manufacturers are listed and featured in various RPG source books. I have a feeling they neither pay nor get paid to have their names and products featured in said books; It's probably a quid-pro-quo arrangement where the gun makers get free advertising, and the game publishers get to use real weapon names for their in-game equipment. Everyone wins.

If you enjoyed reading about "Firearms Product Placement" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!