do any of you guys carry a pocket knife

PDA

Tom Hudson
January 1, 2011, 03:59 PM
You know like a normal spring back pocket knife - :banghead:
http://www.twhudsonengraver.com
http://www.twhudsonengraver.com/666_500_csupload_26642395.jpg?u=705100325

If you enjoyed reading about "do any of you guys carry a pocket knife" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
JR47
January 1, 2011, 04:08 PM
I carry a small Buck 440 folder in my pocket. It's a long-discontinued black blade, with partial serrations.:)

thunder173
January 1, 2011, 04:18 PM
Swiss Army Knives occasionally....

Tom Hudson
January 1, 2011, 04:28 PM
well there 2 out of 10,000:D i did build a bunch of auto knives a few years ago - they were good sellers for sure but can be a pain to build some times - tom

kingpin008
January 1, 2011, 05:07 PM
I carry a Sodbuster Jr. - does that count?

Sniderman
January 1, 2011, 05:14 PM
Carry a knife?

Absolutely! I've carried a pocketknife almost all my life, Work, Home, everywhere. It's The the most useful tool in the world!

Carry as a weapon? no, there are better, louder and safer, (For Me) options there.

Warhawk83
January 1, 2011, 05:17 PM
Yep, got my first when I was 7 maybe. It's found in about 90% of male pockets down here. I don't expect to ever use it as a weapon but it is a handy tool. I have a small collection, my dad has a huge box of them.

kk0g
January 1, 2011, 05:18 PM
That's like asking if I wear pants :-)

conw
January 1, 2011, 05:20 PM
No, I prefer "Bows, [...] swords, polearms, and less lethal weapons."

steveno
January 1, 2011, 05:29 PM
a Case trapper and a Robert Ogg pocket knife

Tom Hudson
January 1, 2011, 06:46 PM
Sodbuster - Hell yes that counts - takes a hell of a man to admit he carries one:D:eek::D:eek::D

bikerdoc
January 1, 2011, 06:48 PM
Spyderco native and Endura

Old Schrade Imperial

Tom Hudson
January 1, 2011, 06:48 PM
It's found in about 90% of male pockets down here.
Here in ********** 90% don't carry one - Dang - I sure do miss working gun & knife shows in your part of the world! Tom

Tom Hudson
January 1, 2011, 06:51 PM
Steve if i had 10 bucks for every Case trapper i have built, trade for, customized & sold we both could take a vacation - a very long one:D

Geckgo
January 1, 2011, 06:58 PM
I've carried a gerber just about every waking minute from the time I was 16. Then lost it and bought another just like it. Half serrated, half straight blade, about 4" long. And I have pulled it on more that one occasion and kept it tucked under my shirt sleeve when I got "nervous." Even when I get my CCW, you still can't carry in a bar here, but there's no rule against having an ordinary tool in your pocket :)

azyogi
January 1, 2011, 07:08 PM
A buck 301 always, well anytime I have pockets, or a sporran.

Black Toe Knives
January 1, 2011, 07:11 PM
I carry this one I made in CPM154.

http://i474.photobucket.com/albums/rr105/ke4ozo/JimAdamsCustomTiFolder.jpg

kbbailey
January 1, 2011, 07:12 PM
Case large Copperlock or Leatherman Skeletool.

TimboKhan
January 1, 2011, 07:47 PM
I have a bunch that I carry on occasion, to include two Case mini-trappers. One has a wharncliffe blade instead of the spey blade, the other is a regular trapper. I like them.

content
January 1, 2011, 08:08 PM
Hello friends and neighbors // Yep, can't imagine getting through a day without needing a pocket knife for something.
Maybe a day of Jury Duty LOL.

A Swiss Army ,(camper?) the one with a saw, is always in my pocket and needed often.

I was lucky enough to have been passed down a Barlow from each of my Grandfathers and one from my Great Grandfather .
Occasionally I carry one of the three "treasures" (only to me) but I'd hate to lose one of them.

Spartan299
January 1, 2011, 09:05 PM
Cold Steel "American Lawman".

CoastieShep
January 1, 2011, 09:12 PM
Case bare head slimline trapper. Great handling little knife.

GCBurner
January 1, 2011, 09:15 PM
All the time, except when going into an airport of a courthouse.

Tom Hudson
January 1, 2011, 09:16 PM
Jim Adams - went to your web site - good stuff - i enjoyed the 1911 grip one - haven't seen that done before - tom

Black Toe Knives
January 1, 2011, 09:55 PM
Tom, Thank you. I went to your website. I have send you a TI folder to engrave.

swoter
January 1, 2011, 09:58 PM
Carry a pocket knife everyday. I have a couple of the old Uncle Henrys that I switch out, one is three blade the other is two. Had both for several years. Carry a cheap folder at work also.

janobles14
January 1, 2011, 10:51 PM
swiss army in left pocket since i was 10. spyderco endura, spyderco civilian, crkt sampson kiss, or cold steel recon in right pocket depending on my mood. EVERYDAY!

pitsmile
January 1, 2011, 11:00 PM
CRKT everyday - I actually just got a Jim Burke (I carried both the day I got it)

My activities dictate my carry knife - but I always have one.

January 1, 2011, 11:33 PM
spyderco "opener" i think its called. it has a pocket hook. i catches on the corner of the pocket and is opened as the knife is drawn. pretty sweet. doubles as a bottle opener. has an awsome thumb hole if needed.

ArfinGreebly
January 2, 2011, 02:47 AM
Who, me?

:neener:

I'm not as well equipped as some of my brethren here, but I do carry a knife or two:

Today -- like right now -- I'm carrying a Normark American Hunter (aka the EKA Swede 92) on my belt, also on the belt is a Leatherman Wave, in one pocket is a Buck 313 Muskrat (circa 1980-something), a Case Pocket Hunter in another pocket, and in a thigh pocket is an EKA/Wenger Swedish/Swiss (yes, really) Army Knife (EKA calls it their Executive Major -- picture here).

Oh, and in my jacket pocket, on the chair over there, is a Case Sod Buster Jr in CV steel/yellow handles.

Of the knives listed above, only the Normark/EKA and the Leatherman have locking blades. All the others are old fashioned slipjoint (spring-only retention).

Ask me again tomorrow and the list will probably be different. The EKA Swedish/Swiss and the Leatherman are standard parts of my EDC, and they're always on me unless I'm flying (which is almost never any more). The Normark sometimes trades off with a large Case Sod Buster, a Buck Vantage Avid, a Buck 110, or a Benchmade "NRA" Steigerwalt (outdoor knife with a skinning blade, skinning hook, and main trailing point blade).

The main pocket carry rotates among Buck 301 (circa 1980s) Stockman, Buck Cadet (medium stockman pattern), Case Peanut, Case Pocket Hunter, Case Sod Buster Jr, Case/John Deere Medium Stockman, Schrade Uncle Henry stockman, Lone Wolf Paul Presto, Gerber Silver Knight (1982), Buck 55, Buck 444, Imperial (Ireland) large stockman, the occasional other random knife that I stumble over in the course of bumbling through boxes, drawers, and the like.

As you might expect, there are pictures.

One of these days I will finally decide which two or three knives need to be part of my daily load-out. For what it's worth, prior to enrolling with The High Road, I was happy carrying a single small "gentleman's" knife (Gerber Silver Knight) for more than two decades. Sad what happens when innocence is lost.

Smith357
January 2, 2011, 08:41 AM
SAK Soldier in my pocket every day, an Alox Classic on my keychain, and sometimes one on my belt.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y266/smith357/armory/SAK/edc.jpg

Water-Man
January 2, 2011, 08:49 AM
Yes, I carry one with a 2.5" blade made of ATS-34 steel.

PRM
January 2, 2011, 09:28 AM
I normally carry a three bladed Marbles Whitler (1992 USA). In fact, I usually have this knife on me even when I am also carrying others. I would go as far as to say about the only time this pocket knife is not on me is when I don't have a pocket.

Sher Khan
January 2, 2011, 10:54 AM
I have carried one since I was around five years old. It was for many years part of everyday life. We played "stick-knife" on the grade school playground, and no one thought anything of it. Having and using pocket knives as common tools helped create a sense of responsibility among kids. I still carry and use one every day, and so does my wife. I regret the PC idiocy that limits learning important life skills these days....

Hud
January 2, 2011, 12:06 PM
Rule #9:
Never go anywhere without a knife.

These are my usual carry, in various combinations.
A Swiss Officer, a Barlow, & my Grandfather's Remington in my pocket & something on my belt.
A Buck 110, & a Sgain Dubh in the top of my kilt hose for Celtic occasions.

TimboKhan
January 2, 2011, 03:28 PM
Maybe a day of Jury Duty LOL.

I work for my county and so I don't have to go through the metal detectors or get searched, so a day of jury duty means a day of knife carry for me, though I am very careful not to advertise it.

dan3
January 2, 2011, 03:42 PM
Always carry a Victorinox Farmer...main blade, saw blade, awl, can opener, bottle opener - in Alox (metal) scales (side panels) .

pmeisel
January 2, 2011, 03:53 PM
Only since I was 8....

hso
January 2, 2011, 04:20 PM
While I have several slip joint folders I don't typically carry them, more just to appreciate the craftsmanship in them.

One of our members is a true artist at slip pies. Take a look at Todd's work.
http://www.thehighroad.org/member.php?u=88751

308win
January 2, 2011, 04:26 PM
I always have a small Victinox (usually an older Executive model) and either an Opinel or a Buck (older but similar to a Muskrat) or a Kershaw or Marttiinni.

shiftyer1
January 2, 2011, 04:29 PM
ALWAYS....are there people who don't?

Deltaboy
January 2, 2011, 04:47 PM
I carry various sized Old timer Stockmans , Some Steel Warrior ones , Case Barlow, and several others.

mgregg85
January 2, 2011, 05:04 PM
I have a few different ones I carry, no real order or reason to it, just whatever I grab. I have a Gerber EZ out, a CRKT KISS, CRKT M16z and probably the one I carry the most often, a Gerber EAB.

http://www.academy.com/images/recall_notices/gerber01.jpg

Deltaboy
January 2, 2011, 05:26 PM
I have carried daily since the 2nd grade. I liked sitting in the back and sharpening my pencil at my desk.

CTPhil
January 2, 2011, 05:30 PM
I've never not had a knife in my pocket since I was a kid. The last 30 years it's been a Swiss Army Knife "Tinker". I can't understand why there's anyone who doesn't carry a pocket knife.

jbkebert
January 2, 2011, 05:42 PM
I always have a Schrade Tough Tool, a Harvey King custom belt knife , and either a Kershaw Leek or a Case medium Stockman at all times.

REAPER4206969
January 2, 2011, 07:23 PM
My EDC is a Case CV mini trapper in the FR pocket, a CRKT N.E.C.K. fixed blade on the belt at 9:30 and a Victorinox SwissCard lite in the wallet.

GarMan
January 2, 2011, 07:43 PM
Yes. Everyday.

9mmforMe
January 2, 2011, 08:54 PM
Definitely, everyday. I have a quite a few swiss army knives, numerous folders and fixed blades and a few (2 or 3 bladed) slip-joints. I fell in love with knives before I even gave thought to firearms.

wep45
January 2, 2011, 09:01 PM
standard operating procedure for me.

Carl Levitian
January 2, 2011, 09:32 PM
Never leave the house without a knife or two in the pockets.

Usually it's an Opinel number 8, or my old yellow handle Case sodbuster junior.

I like old school carbon steel knives.

Carl.

the iron horse
January 2, 2011, 10:06 PM
"Never leave the house without a knife or two in the pockets."

Agree.

Sometimes I also carry a box-cutter.

burnse
January 3, 2011, 03:29 AM
I always have my Opinels, numbers 7 and 8. I sharpen them with an antique steel from my grandmother. They're so sharp that if I accidentally cut myself, I tend to not notice until the blood shows. I love them. I just don't love shaky hands.

SpaceFrank
January 3, 2011, 04:17 AM
Almost everywhere I go. For the last several years I've carried a stainless, half-serrated "Winchester" (branded) Chinese-made piece of crap that I picked up somewhere. Couldn't hold much of an edge, but good enough to deal with everyday utility.

After several months of searching and debating, I finally decided to save up and spend good money on a major upgrade: the Benchmade Griptilian 551. It's a little big for EDC, but I have big hands. I love this thing.

kayak-man
January 3, 2011, 12:05 PM
I always carry atleast one knife. Generally, its a CRKT, either the M16 or M21. I also try to have something less conspicuous, usually a SAK, sometimes a Gerber.

Chris "the Kayak-Man" Johnson

bbrownie
January 3, 2011, 12:50 PM
I have always carried a small pocket knife, for over 60 yrs. the last 10 or 15 yrs it is a small Swiss Army knife.

Brownie

Wolfebyte
January 3, 2011, 01:01 PM
Carried a pocket knife every day since I was 8...

today it's one of several

CRKT is my most common EDC, followed by Kershaw and then MooreMaker.

22-rimfire
January 3, 2011, 01:10 PM
I carry everyday unless I have to go inside a court house or fly.

That is a nice knife. I love the Case Trappers. I like just about any well made knife in the Trapper pattern.

Jalexander
January 3, 2011, 02:07 PM
Of course. Mostly this one:
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb97/archbishop999/Misc/Trapper-comp_edited-1-1.jpg

But sometimes one of these:

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb97/archbishop999/Misc/Groupofsinglebladeknives-resized.jpg

James

308win
January 3, 2011, 02:14 PM
James - Those drop points are some good looking knives.

sonofodin
January 3, 2011, 03:02 PM
JAalexander,

Im jelious. Mine fluctuates as I have a large collection. Its either a matching pair of Bucks, kershaws, Cold steel's, or benchmades as well as matching Case's, but only in Chrome Vanadium. I also like to carry a Northwoods swing guard. Too many photos to upload right now lol...

kayak-man
January 3, 2011, 04:34 PM
SonofOdin:

I'm experiancing some serious knife-envy - that Lone Wolf Paul R Defence is one classy folder!

Chris "the Kayak-Man" Johnson

barnett
January 4, 2011, 09:53 AM
Victorinox one hand trekker.

451 Detonics
January 4, 2011, 02:31 PM
I rotate my edc among these slipjoints and others...

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z271/reloader1959/slipjoints/shelf.jpg

That is about half of my slipjoint collection. I do favor stockmen...here are a few i carry at times...

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z271/reloader1959/slipjoints/stockmen.jpg

I also really like the Cold Steel Classic series

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z271/reloader1959/slipjoints/cstrads.jpg

Custom slipjoints are an addiction The soddie has new scales while the Trapbuster is two Sodbuster Jr's turned into one knife.

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z271/reloader1959/slipjoints/trap5-1.jpg

And this custom by Ken Coats is an all time favorite...

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z271/reloader1959/slipjoints/coats1-1.jpg

sonofodin
January 4, 2011, 06:04 PM
Thanks Kayak man. I actually bought that to go along with Colt Series 70 1911. The Cocobolo went good with the cocobolo on my 1911 until I put on different scales. one of my fav steels, 154CM adorns the pointy part.

Kitty is sniffing. meow meow she says.

sonofodin
January 4, 2011, 06:15 PM
More pics.

Benchmade Automatic. Pair of SOG bowies.

Nothing goes so well with beautiful knives as some beautiful pipes. Handmade Erik Nording cherrywood and Handmade Winslow Horn.

leftymachinist
January 5, 2011, 07:07 PM
Hope fully I won't make this too long. Currently I carry a Cold Steel Classic stockman pocket knife that a dear friend gave me for christmas a few years back. That knife really holds an edge. Being a half breed I grew up with a pocket knife and herded sheep back on the rez. For me a good stockman three blade pocket knife can't be beat as the "multi-tool" of choice. First my pappy bought for was a Case medium stockman. After that was retired had all manner of makes and types. The best one though was a Western brand large stockman that I bought for myself as a teenager.

Erik M
January 5, 2011, 09:26 PM
I have a couple of old Kissing Crane trappers with stag handles. I prefer to keep them put up and carry something more practical for my uses though.

Tom Hudson
January 5, 2011, 10:38 PM
very nice - tom

tankermanjake
January 5, 2011, 10:58 PM
I carry a kershaw but I hate buying expensive knives because I lose them in the river all the time! (I work on a towboat) The last one I had got hooked on my radio pouch and went right into the water while I was disconnecting hose at a dock in new orleans. I was so mad I was cussing up a storm and the dockman was probably thinking I was cussing at him cause he wasnt helping me much with the hose. lol!

slow55
January 5, 2011, 11:09 PM
Buck Red Resin Folder

chrisb507
January 6, 2011, 12:02 AM
I wish I could carry just one, but I can't find a one-hand opener that includes scissors, a blade around 3", nail file, toothpick, and a bottle opener.

So I compromise with a SOG Flash 1 and a Wenger Evo 16 or a Leatherman Style CS (which has a tweezers, not a toothpick).

ArfinGreebly
January 6, 2011, 12:06 AM
The Leatherman Wave has all of that except for the toothpick & tweezers.

Consequently, I carry a couple of disposable toothpicks and tweezers in a small custom pouch.

(In addition to a EKA/Wenger SAK that also has scissors, nail file, cork screw, bottle opener, blah, blah, blah.)

:D

chrisb507
January 6, 2011, 12:31 AM
The Wave is awful close, Arfin! At 8.5oz, it might be a little heavy for pocket carry….which is why I like the relatively light Flash (1.3 oz) and the Leatherman CS (1.5 oz).

I still would like to get it all-in-one in a 3- or 4-oz package...so I’ll keep looking and compromising or carrying two…unless there’s a custom guy out there…

USAF_Vet
January 6, 2011, 04:40 PM
I usually carry one of my 2 Benchmade automatics, or the new folder I got for Xmas. I usually also have a utility razor. I open a lot of boxes at work.

Fargazer
January 6, 2011, 05:12 PM
Kershaw Wild Turkey lockback (http://www.amazon.com/Kershaw-Turkey-Lockback-Folder-Rosewood/dp/B001DBBGXU), or else a Boker tortoise whittler folding knife (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000ATDLUM/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000UV1PKI&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1NRTJZ8R1KEEVGJHS4G9). I tend to prefer the whittler patterns (main blade on one end with both springs, spay and sheepsfoot share the other end with one spring apiece) over the stockmans.

WVUmountaineer
January 7, 2011, 01:00 AM
Just a standard Gerber switchblade. It was only $30, so it's a nice combination of quality and price for a college student.

cpirtle
January 7, 2011, 01:47 PM
Hey Tom, good to see you here.

I've got one of your Case knives I've been carrying on and off for years. Heavily filed with dyed bone scales but no engraving. Even did a hand molded sheath for it a few years back.

I'll try to get some pictures up later but it's got an arched Tommy Husdson etch on the side of the main blade. I'd be curious to know roughly when it was made.

syntaxerrorsix
January 7, 2011, 04:11 PM
I carry a few knives daily. One of them is a true "pocket knife". It's a Case, stainless 2 bladed canoe style in jigged peach seed.

kamagong
January 7, 2011, 06:03 PM
Every day. Here are some of the knives in my rotation.

http://img704.imageshack.us/img704/3384/dsc1844v.jpg

Sniper X
January 7, 2011, 06:05 PM
Schatt & Morgan Congress today....

http://c3.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/93/l_d675ca2ab25247c0b12e78d3fb6531f6.jpg

Usually also a Silver script Case Seahorse Whittler...

http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/72/l_0d6044498a894750822c45624f34feb1.jpg

Sometimes a a old Buck Stockman, or a old Damascus Stockman....

http://c4.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/80/l_e41caa3d01ca4a75906881f66c281e6f.jpg

mark_in_tx
January 8, 2011, 01:21 PM
You know like a normal spring back pocket knife - :banghead:

My Victorinox SwissTool Multi Tool, Victorinox Swiss Army Knife and my Winchester Bolster Lock with pocket clip. I carry these everywhere except the court house and the airport.

Mark

riomedinamike
January 8, 2011, 11:40 PM
Attached to my keychain is a small single blade Gerber and a Leatherman Squirt with the pliers; I also carry a CRKT Crawford Kasper folder with either the 4" or 3.5" blade.

Markus
January 9, 2011, 09:46 AM
Spyderco salt or any of the various slip joint folders I've acumulated. The Spyderco is always with me at work. I grew up believing that a man always had a knife.

txgunsuscg
January 9, 2011, 03:44 PM
Kershaw Rescue Blur in the pocket, Victorinox Cadet on the key chain... Rule #9 for those of you that spend your Tuesday nights tuned to CBS....

Tom Hudson
January 9, 2011, 07:56 PM
maybe post a pix or send me one - i might be able to set a date? i started customizing knives in 1985 - i have done hundreds - glade to hear one of my kids is still working -

tom

Techsan
January 9, 2011, 08:18 PM
This week I picked up a Case mini-trapper and Sodbuster Jr to alternate with. Previously I've been carrying a small Gerber folder.

mdauben
January 11, 2011, 10:51 PM
I always have a knife of some kind on me. Often its a modern, one-hand opening lockblade but sometimes I feel nostalgic and carry a Case slip joint. I've got a number of them but my favorites are their large Trapper and their Swayback Jack.

http://www.discountcutlery.net/media/CA7011.jpghttp://www.wrcase.com/knives/images/7007.jpg

DashCasey0120
January 11, 2011, 11:16 PM
I really thought I was the only one who about Opinel. Got one my cousin got in France last year. Carry my sodbuster jr. more than anything but I do rotate out a few other, Case trapper stainless, blue, a Boker sodbuster.

burnse
January 13, 2011, 01:05 PM
Dash, I love opinels. There's actually a fancy wine & cheese shop just a few miles from where I live, and they always carry Opinels. $12 to $13 per. They certainly come sharp, but I like them sharper, so I take them to the steel for a while. Same goes for my Old Hickory set. I just love them.
The carbon blades on those Opinels of mine have certainly gathered some proof of use, but they keep coming back for more, and the blades are just loose enough now that I can swing them open with one hand.

country boy marksman
January 14, 2011, 09:58 PM
Besides school (of course!), I carry a knife 24-7. I usually carry a Buck 110, a victorinox swiss, one of many tactical folders, and a neck knife. (there's no such thing as overkill!) I also add a Buck 119 special when possible!

beeenbag
January 14, 2011, 10:20 PM
I carry a 1976 case pen knife with carbon steel blades. Sharp as a razor, my papaw was a stickler about not ever getting caught with a dull knife and get horse laughed. I guess I follow after him, if you can't shave a clean path with a single swipe down your arm, its dull.

Blackrock
January 16, 2011, 08:21 AM
I carry a Case stockman plus a Leatherman on my belt. I turn 62 this month and have carried a knife since I can't remember. Way back in the day I had a knife on me all the way through school, imagine that now.

I have watched my dad castrate calves and carve up a watermelon at a branding and never bat an eye. Peel an apple, remove splinters and a hundred other uses. We never considered a pocket knife a weapon, just another tool.

Carl Levitian
January 16, 2011, 10:29 AM
"I really thought I was the only one who about Opinel. Got one my cousin got in France last year. Carry my sodbuster jr. more than anything but I do rotate out a few other, Case trapper stainless, blue, a Boker sodbuster. "

You're far from alone in your love of Opinel's. I know quite a few people who are fan's of them. Once you waterproof the joint, they make an exellent edc pocket knife. Very light for their size, and the blade has a no nonsense lock. Plus it's fun to sand off t he crappy factory finish and customize it to you're own taste.

Carl.

cpirtle
January 17, 2011, 12:42 AM
I mentioned earlier that I had a Case that had been customized by Tom and has an arched makers mark. I carry this one quite a bit and have had it for the better part of ten years.

It's got filework on nearly every edge and has a great green bone with nickel silver bolsters. The previous owner had not taken very good care of it so along with some other repairs I changed out the fixed pivot with a threaded one as a test and ended up liking it for a user. Not the prettiest thing to see on a slip-joint but it works ;)

The sheath is one of my early wet molded ones but it usually just goes in my pocket.

http://www.pirtleranch.com/Files/knives/hudson/hudson2.JPG

http://www.pirtleranch.com/Files/knives/hudson/hudson1.JPG

Tom Hudson
January 17, 2011, 11:37 AM
has an arched makers mark.
-------------------------------------

with that arched mark & no engraving i would say i did the knife in about 1985 or 1986? - back then i didn't engrave or fancy up the bolsters on every knife it was an option , now it's standard - also appears that the scale pins have been have been replaced? are they burried & hand spun? - i have always used a factory pin with flush flat heads on my knives -maybe i just counter sunk them in the scales -

I got a note from a guy last week from Mississippi - he had just bought a Case Toenail i had customized - it had Masterdon Ivory on it. thanks for the pix's - always good to see one of my kids still being used.

brandon_mcg
January 17, 2011, 11:09 PM
i carry a benchmade griptilian on most occasions. i also have a hen and rooster 102 RPB that i carry if i need a smaller knife.

Rmiller31
January 18, 2011, 01:15 AM
carry a Buck vantage pro everyday. Really sharp and keeps the edge really well.

JEB
January 18, 2011, 01:58 AM
yes i do.

for quite a while it has been some form of swiss army knife, but lately i have re-kindled my fondness for my old boy scout knife.

451 Detonics
January 18, 2011, 06:38 AM
Several SAKs are in my EDC rotation including a Farmer, a Pioneer, and several Cadets. But every now and then I do slip an older Scout knife in my pocket. Mine dates to 1924-1933 by the tang stamp and then the 2 piece can opener and long screwdriver blade dates it to 1927-1931. This knife was a rusty "antique" store find, cost me a whopping 5 bucks a couple years ago. Today it has been cleaned up, all the blades walk and talk, and it is a favorite to carry.

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z271/reloader1959/slipjoints/remscout1.jpg

lobo9er
January 18, 2011, 08:54 AM
http://images.lowes.com/product/converted/820909/820909504160sm.jpg
carry one of these kobalts just about every where trash the blade and replace it brand new razor sharp every time:) also a variety of razor "tools" - different blades can be used with it. not your classic folder but gets the job done.

kali13
January 19, 2011, 01:36 AM
I have several but I usually carry the Cold Steel AK-47. Good, sharp, sturdy blade. Belt clip.The stud doubles as a catch that opens the knife as you draw it. Comfortable handle as well.

Boothdt
January 19, 2011, 04:53 PM
I carry an SOG Aegis. Real comfortable balance, fits my hand, strong blade, tough finish. Hard to ask for much more.

Boothdt
January 19, 2011, 04:54 PM
Sorry, forgot a link.

http://sogknives.com/store/AE-06.html

Nematocyst
January 19, 2011, 05:03 PM
This one (http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=418).

Had to coat the fabric side of the G10 with black nail polish
to keep it from wearing a hole in my pocket. :uhoh:

Since then, EDC. Use it for everything, including kitchen work.

I've carried many in my life, including SAK.

This one is the best ever.

Clockwerk
January 19, 2011, 05:41 PM
Ka-bar BK11 everywhere(that's legal for me to of course :P).

TraditionalCatholic
January 19, 2011, 07:19 PM
I carry a no-name 4" linear lock knife I purchased for a few dollars at the local army surplus store. It's extremely sharp for the price I paid for it, and I know it could do some serious damage should it ever come to me using it in a self-defense situation, which I pray never happens.

blackspyder
January 19, 2011, 08:46 PM
I've got a few Kershaws, and a drawer full of no-name knifes.

ch45x7
January 21, 2011, 04:52 AM
When I started high school my grandfather told me there are certain things every guy should always have on him. A pocket knife (currently a Kershaw), a lighter (a zippo, and I don't smoke or ever have), and cash.

I've gone through I don't know how many pocket knives, at least 6 lighters (only 1 broken, I just have a small collection now), and I can't tell you how often having an extra $20-$40 in cash has come in very handy.

So yes I carry one every day, but I seem to be the exception to the rule among my friends.

Nematocyst
January 21, 2011, 08:49 PM
I pulled out my Spyderco Manix 2 this afternoon to cut the tape on a box of business cards that had been printed for me.

The employee at the print shop stepped back a skosh and said, "Wow. That's a knife!"

I smiled and cut the tape on the box, then refolded the blade.

"Yeah", I said. "Best pocket knife I ever owned."

The cards were well-done.

First Big Foot
January 23, 2011, 02:18 AM
Since I was 8 years old, I haven't been without a pocket knife more than a few days. The first couple were three dollar Barlows from the local Five & Dime store. Picked up a Puma folder while in the service in Germany.

For the past 25 years, until last August, I have carried a Buck Titanium. Then I switched to a Leatherman Wave, (I am a contractor/Handyman, and it is fabulous as a belt carried toolbox). Actually carried both for about a month, then decided the Wave was good enough alone.

Somebody once asked me at church why I always carry a knife. I looked at them, and asked how they could get through life without one handy. You can open some locked doors and windows, clean or cut your nails, remove a splinter, open a can of paint or soup, cut your duct tape, trim a door, lever up a sheet of plywood, skin a boar, peel an orange or apple, carve a cane, chisel ice, open mail, open the top of a washing machine, the list just goes on and on.

On occasion I do carry smaller knives, I have a Kershaw from Snap-on like a miniature Buck 110 that is a pocket favorite, an actual three blade Swiss Army Knife with tweezers and tooth pick. And in my Red Cross bag a six dollar knife with a marlin spike for working rope, and one of those locking folders that uses utility knife blades.

My larger hunting knife was made by myself from a chain saw bar ruined by ash from Mt. St. Helens.

Flying in airports is without any longer, but there are rules around that. Online rules sometimes allow for a plastic knife during a flight, so I make sure to have one. I also carry a print out of the rule page, which is something they recommend in the same rules. That way, if the TSA agent is dense, you can show them the rule allowing the item.

BTW, Disneyland is now forbidding belt pouche knives, and won't let you in with it. So I remove the pouch, and stick the folder in my pocket. They aren't frisking you, yet.

It may sound odd, but my way of thought is that anywhere that forbids a pocket knife is all the more reason to have it.

So, you didn't say, what do you carry?

First Big Foot

REMEMBER:
FOR THE PROPERLY PREPARED, DISASTER MAY BE MERE INCONVENIENCE.

451 Detonics
January 23, 2011, 06:46 AM
Any place that puts restrictions on any personal freedom is a place to completely avoid if possible.

So, you didn't say, what do you carry?

As I have stated elsewhere I normally have three knives with me. First is a small social knife, usually a smallish slipjoint. It is also quite often a pretty knife such as this Fighting Rooster...

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z271/reloader1959/slipjoints/pappy1.jpg

The second knife is a larger locking blade, maybe a Case Sharktooth, one of the AG Russell Ranger knives, or the large CS Shinobu seen on top here. It serves to do tougher tasks that I prefer a heavier duty knife for. It is carried in a belt pouch.

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z271/reloader1959/cold%20steel/lock2.jpg

The third knife is never used, it is a last ditch emergency knife and as such I was it to have a razor sharp edge at all times and be able to be drawn and used with one hand. It is normally one of the "tactical" knives and normally mounted with a pocket clip. Could be a Spyderco, Benchmade, Cold Steel, a lot depends on how I am dressed. This custom karambit is a favorite

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z271/reloader1959/folders/kar5-1.jpg

2ndAmFan
January 29, 2011, 09:24 PM
I always carry at least one. I've noticed a lot of cities and other locations have decided pocketknives, particularly lockblades are too dangerous for us regular folks to carry around. I'm not talking about switchblades, spring-assisted opening knives, just ordinary lockblades! That worked so well in San Antonio, Texas the gangbangers all started using guns instead of knives after the city passed that ordinance some years ago.

A_Matthew
January 30, 2011, 12:38 AM
The question shouldn't be whether you carry a pocket knife, the REAL question should be how many pocket knives you carry.:D:D:D In my case, I carry four. My first one is your average cheapie that I use as my lender. My second is a Buck Protoge. A nice sharp lock blade that has no bells or flashing lights. (Which can be handy) My third is a large fixed blade $2 garage sale special that I redid the handle on, and since it isn't my sharpest knife, I tend to use it as a pry bar. (Sort of) Now we get to the fourth one. A SOG Power Assist multi tool.:cool: http://sogknives.com/store/B66.html This one gets used the most and is an extremely helpful tool. Now that I have it, I don't know how I managed to survive in this world so long without it.;) Very much worth the price. Some people complain about the weight, (9.3 oz) but I don't seem to notice it at all.
So these are the knives that I carry. Hope I helped in some way. Matthew

ArfinGreebly
January 30, 2011, 04:20 AM
I actually did mean to post a picture of my two most commonly carried full-sized folders.

I ran across it this evening.

Wife bought me a Nordic T8 for my birthday in 2009. Really nice piece.

Here's a pic of the EKA Nordic T8 with the EKA (Normark) Swede 92, taken the day I received the T8 in the mail:

http://noisyroom.net/pix/thr/2009_1024-Knife/Smaller/2009_1024-Knife046.jpg

I did a little photo spread of the full-sized knives I use in regular rotation. They can be seen here, at the Noisyroom Knife pix gallery (http://noisyroom.net/pix/thr/2009_1024-Knife/Smaller/images.php).

451 Detonics
January 30, 2011, 05:07 AM
The EKAs are great knives...these two have been knocking about in my kit for years. I modded the small one to take a lanyard and turned it into an easy open. The knives are easy to get sharp enough to actually shave with.

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z271/reloader1959/folders/lock3.jpg

Now you can really show your age...who all had one of these Colonials for a first lockback?

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z271/reloader1959/folders/lock4.jpg

pmeisel
January 30, 2011, 10:07 AM
Yesterday, it was my Browning with a skinning, gutting, and saw blade.

Today it's a Kabar warthog.

Monday, I think I will put the Arkansas Toothpick back in rotation.

SOUTHPAW
January 30, 2011, 10:13 AM
My 2 Kershaws... They come in handy daily.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c83/turb0_t0m/5387e575.jpg

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c83/turb0_t0m/f64833a9.jpg

First Big Foot
January 30, 2011, 11:27 AM
To 451 Detonics:
I gotta say, them are some very pretty knives.
quote:
The third knife is never used, it is a last ditch emergency knife and as such I was it to have a razor sharp edge at all times and be able to be drawn and used with one hand. It is normally one of the "tactical" knives and normally mounted with a pocket clip. Could be a Spyderco, Benchmade, Cold Steel, a lot depends on how I am dressed. This custom karambit is a favorite

WeedWacker
January 30, 2011, 12:49 PM
Depends. I don't usually carry blades when I work with the mental cases but when I am able to I carry one of two liner locks: A Gerber Evo, or a Kershaw Groove-1730 (http://www.kershawknives.com/productdetails.php?id=381&brand=kershaw).

If it's playtime and I am not constrained by the laws of city limits I have a 7 inch tank to help with mildly heavy chores:

http://davesknifeworld.com/productimages/b/bK7.jpg

ETA: I have unfortunately lost all my Swiss army and camp tool knives... :( They are probably boxed up somewhere, they have traveled across the country twice already.

CDR_Glock
January 30, 2011, 08:56 PM
One of these:

http://184.72.239.143/mu/a689088c-16da-8e33.jpg

Nematocyst
January 30, 2011, 10:27 PM
There are some fine blades illustrated here.

Here's (http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=418) the company description of my main blade.

451 Detonics
January 31, 2011, 03:39 AM
Seems like many didn't bother to read the OP...

You know like a normal spring back pocket knife -

Don't think all these tacticals are quite what Tom Hudson had in mind...

CollinLeon
January 31, 2011, 05:49 AM
Various types of knives over the years, but I doubt that I've been without one since grade school... OK, maybe on aircraft since 9/11 and what seems like eons ago when I was in boot camp, but that's about it... Not necessarily as a defensive weapon, but just as a tool... Opening packages, sharpening pencils, stripping wires, tightening screws on eyeglasses, removing splinters, trimming fingernails, cutting a steak at a restaurant when the knife that they gave me couldn't even cut butter, etc... It sucks these days that you have to check a bag just for something that you used to be able to carry in your pocket... And it sucks even worse that you have to pay to check that same bag... Then again, I have to check it because I carry a .45 anyway, but I still hate not having my pocketknife with me on the plane... The TSA is so paranoid these days that they won't even allow a small knife onboard... So, I carry another weapon on board instead -- a hickory club with a solid brass head that I made from a maul's handle...

Deltaboy
February 4, 2011, 05:45 PM
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i238/hogman84/birthday069.jpg

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i238/hogman84/birthday072.jpg

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i238/hogman84/birthday073.jpg

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i238/hogman84/birthday074.jpg

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i238/hogman84/birthday075.jpg

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i238/hogman84/birthday076.jpg

Deltaboy
February 4, 2011, 05:47 PM
The rest.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i238/hogman84/birthday080.jpg

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i238/hogman84/birthday078.jpg

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i238/hogman84/Mike3001-1.jpg

Nematocyst
February 4, 2011, 10:05 PM
From canes to knives.

Nice.

Deltaboy
February 4, 2011, 10:16 PM
I rarely seen a quality pocket knife I didn't like.

VT Deer Hunter
February 5, 2011, 12:06 PM
This thing...Gerber 7400 Demolition Explosive Technician Multi-Tool.

Tom609
February 5, 2011, 06:45 PM
Until last year when the red plastic case developed a crack, I had carried the same SAK every day for over 30 years. It still had the original tooth pick and tweezers. I put it in my range bag and it has been replaced by a new SAK Soldier. In addition, I've started augmenting that SAK with an additional one-hand opener that varies and includes a Kershaw Mini Mojito, a mini Gerber folder, and just recently, a Spyderco Tenacious G10. I never leave home without a knife or two in my pocket.

Tom Hudson
February 6, 2011, 05:30 PM
Don't think all these tacticals are quite what Tom Hudson had in mind...
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I never have been a tactical knife guy or a tactical gun guy - I still like figured walnut for my gun stocks. That being said i know what a huge following tactical type guns & knives have in today world. Matter of fact i'm going to build a black 10/22 just to have on hand. I have been ask a few times over the years to build a tac knife but i have always passed. & stayed with the old school knives. Maybe thats why i'm poor, i should have jumped on the band wagon 20 years ago - tom
http://www.twhudsonengraver.com/666_500_csupload_26239689.jpg?u=1261988133

Voodoochile
February 15, 2011, 11:31 AM
I either have a Kershaw or Benchmade in my pocket through out the day.

Carl Levitian
February 15, 2011, 01:20 PM
Until last year when the red plastic case developed a crack, I had carried the same SAK every day for over 30 years. It still had the original tooth pick and tweezers. I put it in my range bag and it has been replaced by a new SAK Soldier.

You know you can send it in to Victorinox's Shelton Conn. location, and they'll replace the scales for free? Victorinox has a unlimited lifetime warrentee that you can't beat.

Or you can get new scales cheep from Felinevet at sosak.com. They just pop on.

Carl.

TacoMalo
February 15, 2011, 01:32 PM
If I need my wallet I need my knife. :)

Ala Dan
February 17, 2011, 06:18 PM
I carry a Kershaw Leek, everyday~! :cool:

Ronsch
February 17, 2011, 06:42 PM
I actually have a couple on me right now...A USGI stainless steel 4 blade pocket knife, a Buck assisted opening folder, my Leatherman, and a Gerber Guardian.

I consider them "pocket knives" even though my Leatherman and Guardian have a sheath.

JerryC
February 17, 2011, 07:08 PM
I just ordered a A.G. Russell Agies w/ titanium frame lock. Can't wait to get it as it will be my new carry knife.

Cmiller21b
February 19, 2011, 08:20 PM
I always carry a knife. Carried Gerbers for years, now I like Benchmade. Carried one last year in Afghanistan and plan on giving it to my son who leaves in Aug to go there. Great knife!

sm
February 20, 2011, 07:17 PM
I actually rec'd PMs, informing me of this thread. These folks started to reply on my behalf, but, it seems "some thangs are best done by folks theyselves".

<Curmudgeon mode>

I was born with a Case Peanut in my dresser drawer crib, and have carried a pocketknife for fifty-five of my fifty five years! *spit*

How raised, what you do, you unnerstand! *shakes fists*.

Why one was not dressed, be they boy, girl, on up to hunnerd year old ladies and gents, without a pocketknife! *darn-whippersnappers*

Don't give a rip what politicians say, or bliss-ninnies whine about, and basically don't appreciate 'em breathing MY air (yes, my air)spoutin' lies about stuff, like knives. *single-finger-salute*

Oh, I don't believe I have to inform folks here, what I am most apt to be carrying everyday. Being old has its perks...*wink*

</mode>

451 Detonics
February 20, 2011, 07:38 PM
reading sm's post....

I really wish people would say what they mean instead of pussyfooting around it....

Tom609
February 20, 2011, 11:03 PM
You know you can send it in to Victorinox's Shelton Conn. location, and they'll replace the scales for free?

Thanks, Carl. At first I thought it would just be too much trouble, but we've traveled many miles and it does have some sentimental value.

Gentleman Brown
February 21, 2011, 06:41 PM
I recently upgraded from a Gerber Paraframe to a SOG Power Assist. Too much tool for a lot of people, I'm sure, and impractical for them, but I use mine all the time.

firemanstrickland
February 21, 2011, 08:52 PM
I dont leav ethe house with out one. As of rite now a kershaw auto folder tanto blade with serrations.

Sgt_R
February 21, 2011, 08:56 PM
If I have pockets, at least one of them will have a knife in it.

R

Tom Hudson
February 21, 2011, 10:12 PM
it's good to hear that pocket knives are alive & well - i have always been an old school knife guy - i like the old patterns - but then again i own a Model A & shot a slingshot a lot:p
PS - But this Kershaw SpeedSafe is a heck of a knife!
http://www.twhudsonengraver.com/0_0_0_0_250_188_csupload_28623637_large.jpg?u=210627284

AKElroy
February 21, 2011, 10:30 PM
Case medium stockman is a constant pocket companion. Last week of the season I shot a doe, went into my range bag that I keep my processing knives in, and realized that I left every knife at home. I had that little stockman, though. It made quick work of the doe, and frankly did a better job than my dedicated butchering blades have done on occasion.

Ironically, I left that little case on the bumper of my truck when washing that doe, and drove off, losing the case forever. At least I thought it was gone.

Three weeks later my son and I are filling the feeders, and he looks down and picks up that little case. It was just laying there in the dirt, on the opposite side of our lease from where I cleaned that doe.

newfalguy101
February 21, 2011, 10:36 PM
A simple three bladed "jackknife" for me at this point.

I have carried a knife of some kind for better'n 30 year ( which includes everyday during highschool!!! and NOBODY cared )

moonrunner02
February 22, 2011, 12:20 AM
Carson design CRKT M16-14T all day every day,and have carried many others every day for the last 15 years or so

Prorock
February 22, 2011, 12:55 AM
Kershaw everyday. Just like Mr. Hudson.

Nematocyst
February 24, 2011, 09:01 PM
Spyderco Manix 2 (http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=418).

Add an ash waking stick,
a Koppo pocket stick
and call it good.

Tom Hudson
February 24, 2011, 09:56 PM
Kershaw everyday. Just like Mr. Hudson.
WOW - Mr. Hudson :eek: thats pretty rare around this beer joint

average_shooter
February 24, 2011, 11:10 PM
I'd like to add to this thread. I am older than some, but still younger than most.

For work I usually carry two modern, single-blade locking folders. Completely utilitarian and have little to no sentimental value for me. But they can cut webbing and cordage and stir the beans for lunch.

However, I've recently gone back to carrying my USA-made Schrade "Junior" Stockman. (From recent research it appears that Schrade is no longer made in the USA, and they certainly don't seem to be using the same type and quality steels.)

I've been carrying that knife on and off for something coming close to 20 years now. Granddad gave me that knife, my first pocket knife, and it has vast amounts of sentimental value.

It's been carried and shows it. Years ago (I don't remember when) when I must have still been learning about proper usage I snapped the tip off the long clip blade. It's been through the wash a time or two, seen its fair share of sweaty hands. But there's just the right amount of patina on the blades. And the blades take an edge better and easier than any other folders I've ever owned to date.

I've been contemplating getting a Case Medium Stockman to carry daily, so I don't lose my Schrade in the field. Lately I haven't been going anywhere without that little Junior Stockman.

Maybe I'm getting old before my time, but I've really taken a liking again to having a real pocket knife on me and when I carry a lighter I typically carry a 1942-re-issue brushed nickel Zippo. Some things are, or were, just made...right.

ArfinGreebly
February 25, 2011, 02:21 AM
Schrade "Junior" Stockman

A while back I rescued a knife from a pawn shop.

It's a Schrade Uncle Henry, about the size of a medium (or "junior") stockman.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=71390&d=1200729167&thumb=1 (http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=71390&d=1200729167) . . . http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=71391&d=1200729179&thumb=1 (http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=71391&d=1200729179)

I wonder if that knife isn't similar to the one you're describing.

Those are nice knives. I reckon the only ones you will find nowadays will be in pawnshops or on eBay.

average_shooter
February 25, 2011, 02:50 AM
Arfin-

Pretty close. A couple differences; looks like that Uncle Henry has a spey blade whereas mine has a smaller "pen" or drop point. Also, the clip blade is a different contour with a different nail nick.

Sure looks like a fine knife you have there, and a rescue at that.

I'll try to get some pictures up for comparison.

average_shooter
February 25, 2011, 03:09 AM
Not sure how big these pictures will be. Hopefully they come out alright.

On the left side of the clip blade is:

SCHRADE
N.Y. U.S.A.

And on the other side is simply: 808

Not sure exactly what the number means, I'm assuming the type of steel, but I've only recently gotten into trying to learn about that and don't really know.

Maybe you fine folks can fill me in?

Also, Arfin, maybe I missed it in the Rescue thread but what did you use to polish up the blades on that Uncle Henry? I've been thinking about getting mine a little more luster, but at the same time they don't seem to actually be rusted, just patina-ed.

451 Detonics
February 25, 2011, 11:08 AM
808 is the Model number, not the steel, as for the patina on the blade it actually helps protect the steel from rusting but it can easily be cleaned up with Flitz or any other mild metal polish.

Small versions of the stockman pattern often came with a pen blade instead of the spey. Also the stockman is available in a wide variety of pattern such as the equal end, sowbelly, serpentine, etc. Here are a few of my stockman patterns...

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z271/reloader1959/slipjoints/stockmen.jpg

This Bulldog is my favorite...best stag I have seen on a stockman...

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z271/reloader1959/slipjoints/bulldogs/stagbull3.jpg

jhansman
March 1, 2011, 01:14 PM
If you mean your basic non-locking jackknife type, nope. I won't carry any folder that doesn't lock.

ArfinGreebly
March 1, 2011, 04:38 PM
I won't carry any folder that doesn't lock.

Interesting preference. I've been there.

Oddly, however, that was because I somehow forgot what it was like to carry a regular slipjoint. I carried a non-locking folder for twenty years before I bought my first locking folder.

Pretty much everything I bought after that -- excepting only SAK patterns, obtained for the can opener and such -- had a lock of some kind.

It wasn't until I spent some time on THR that I had occasion to re-examine that state of affairs. Some feller named "Steve" made mention of old fashioned slippies, and it wasn't long after that, I found myself revisiting the world of classic folders from my youth and before. Now I have a whole box of them.

Yes, I still carry and use locking folders, but now that I've re-acquainted myself with classic slipjoints, it's unlikely that I'll ever be without one.

BUD&NANI
March 1, 2011, 04:43 PM
ummm no i carry a samuri sword in my sock...lol j/k

yes i have one in the side pocket of my purse he gave me and he has one in the front pocket of his jeans.... that's how i knew he was the one...lol ;)

average_shooter
March 1, 2011, 08:34 PM
As a kid I was gifted the Schrade I posted earlier, various SAKs and knockoffs, and other no-lock knives. In my teens I started to think every knife carried needed to have a lock and serrations to be useful.

Then I started carrying that Stockman again and realized how useful it is to have a nice little pen knife on hand. Cutting out tight patterns, cutting small cord or webbing, digging out that sliver... all difficult to do with my 3" Gerber, just due to its size being overkill for small tasks. And a small sheepsfoot blade is so easy to sharpen, I tend to use that and the pen blade even more than the clip. And the Schrade fits in the watch pocket of my pants, so it's always handy, yet securely out of the way.

Can't wait for my Case Stockmans to show up in the mail.

gga357
March 1, 2011, 11:42 PM
All day everyday. Always have a Victorinox classic. Then rotate through a couple of Case XX, Benchmades, CS, and ZT.

dirty dave
March 2, 2011, 12:12 AM
First thing I put in my pocket ,I always need it for something

Carl Levitian
March 2, 2011, 10:48 AM
[average_shooter

As a kid I was gifted the Schrade I posted earlier, various SAKs and knockoffs, and other no-lock knives. In my teens I started to think every knife carried needed to have a lock and serrations to be useful.

Then I started carrying that Stockman again and realized how useful it is to have a nice little pen knife on hand. Cutting out tight patterns, cutting small cord or webbing, digging out that sliver... all difficult to do with my 3" Gerber, just due to its size being overkill for small tasks. And a small sheepsfoot blade is so easy to sharpen, I tend to use that and the pen blade even more than the clip. And the Schrade fits in the watch pocket of my pants, so it's always handy, yet securely out of the way.

Can't wait for my Case Stockmans to show up in the mail.]

You're gonna love that Case, shooter.

It sounds to me like you're rediscovering how useful one of those "old time"pocket knives are. I don't think ti's an accident of fate that our grandfathers, and their grandfathers before them used these kinds of knives for a real working life on the farm. This was way before office cubicles came about. Passing strange that the so called modern tactical knife only came about in the last 25 years, when most of us live in suburban if not urban areas, and more people work in office environments than ever before in America's history. That stockman in your pocket is a product of working mans 1870's environment of a working cowboy. Can't get anymore real world cutting performance than that.

And somehow our grandfathers and those before got by just fine without a lock on the blade. I know my garndpa's had all their fingers.:D

I wonder how much of what is sold these days is an artificial market created only for the manufacturer's sales and profit margin.

Carl.

Busyhands94
March 2, 2011, 01:54 PM
here's what i carry: http://www.wildbillwholesale.com/rorimoseco.html
it is a very good knife and i get a lot of compliments on the cool blade!

JTW Jr.
March 2, 2011, 04:51 PM
I have a sickness I carry 3 folders and a fixed blade every day.

In a mission wallet rides a Strider PT and usually a yellow handled CV Sodbuster ( sometimes replaced by a Remington Baby Bullet Trapper ) , in the pocket the folder I use the most is an older custom made by Allen Elishewitz , one of his Ghost models...

Also I carry & use a sub 3" blades D2 Fixed blade that I made , it has been carried and used for a couple years now.

I am falling deeper and deeper for the traditionals , slipjoints and lockbacks.

ADKWOODSMAN
March 2, 2011, 05:07 PM
A small buck pocket knife 1/1/2 or 1 3/4" blade. Used to cary a Remington Gentleman while teaching until they were banned here in our school in NYS.

Now retired, I cary a leatherman kick and the buck most days. During trapping season its a lager leatherman don't remember the name.

mustang_steve
March 2, 2011, 09:23 PM
An NRA Outdoors (Benchmade China) canoe pen knife. No pics since I'm too sleepy, but it's your basic brass-bolstered black with white linen micarta gripped pen-knife, just VERY high quality for a $25 china folder.

oldCop
March 4, 2011, 12:46 AM
I have carried a pocket knife since I was 5 (yes 5!) years old. In grade school we whittled in art class and played mumbletypeg during recess...different times then. i own a number of them, and I currently carry a George Wostenholm IXL Premium Stock knife.

splithoof
March 4, 2011, 01:13 AM
Benchmade Griptillian 3.75" folder in small of back, second knife of same inside left boot at ankle secured by velcro strap. Both have elongated opening on blades.

QUICK_DRAW_McGRAW
March 10, 2011, 11:00 PM
http://i46.tinypic.com/2chnxao.jpg
all day every day

REAPER4206969
March 17, 2011, 05:59 PM
Here is my Case CV Mini-Trapper:

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t8/REAPER1911-A1/CaseCV.jpg?t=1300399685

Searcher1970
March 17, 2011, 08:26 PM
I carry a custom friction folder in my pocket and my Leatherman wave on my belt.

NMPOPS
March 21, 2011, 02:34 AM
Almost always carry a Case large stockman, supplemented by a SAK Tinker. I sometimes carry a Case or Schrade medium stcokman when the large one is just too big.

AuthorityDenied
March 28, 2011, 04:30 PM
I almost always carry my S&W M&P MAGIC knife 3.25" clip point blade. Yeah its a heavy beast but that doesn't bother me.
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h151/AuthorityDenied/IMAG0119-1.jpg

I also tend to have my Gerber suspension multi-tool and a Maglite mini-mag led

Nematocyst
March 29, 2011, 08:48 PM
Haven't been here in a while.

Spyderco Manix 2.

http://images.knifecenter.com/knifecenter/spyderco-knives/images/SP101GP2.jpg

Grousefeather
March 29, 2011, 09:46 PM
Always my CRKT M-16, and sometimes my vintage, Gerber belt buckle touche.

marineimaging
March 29, 2011, 09:54 PM
Absolutely. I have several which depend on the occassion. (The smallest cost me $300.00 in ER stitches when I fogot the golden rule, "Treat all knives as if they are sharp.) As a former Coast Guardsman, firefighter, police officer, EMT, and Boy Scout, I can't tell you how many times a day I use my knife. When I don't have it I feel lost.

Tom609
March 29, 2011, 10:47 PM
Treat all knives as if they are sharp.

:) Love it. My finger is almost healed from my most recent mishap with a Spyderco Grasshopper. I buy my band aids at Costco.

Richard1963
April 3, 2011, 01:54 PM
Almost always. I have a variety of Swiss Army knives and used to carry the Soldier model everywhere. I have an old Schrade Cliphanger that is about 20 years old and has served me well.

But, I recently upgraded....automatics are legal here and I treated myself to a Gerber Covert Automatic. It now travels everywhere with me. I was going to get the Mini Covert Auto for my wife, but she is a lefty. I need to find a good left handed auto for her.

ArfinGreebly
April 4, 2011, 01:17 AM
Treat all knives as if they are sharp.

Case Sod Buster Jr, in CV.

Cleaning the knife, and it just went off.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=139838&d=1301894304

:o

Deltaboy
April 4, 2011, 07:42 PM
Ouch I saw a guy do that playing with a New out of the box Rough Rider.

IcemanUnlimited
April 6, 2011, 03:45 PM
I can't find my knife online and I don't have a camera handy at the moment. I carry a heavy duty pocket knife with a Grim Reaper picture on the handle. ;P

I can't conceal & carry yet so it'll have to do the job for now.

Tom Hudson
April 6, 2011, 05:35 PM
Isn’t it amazing how many different patterns there are! There have been over 600 knife companies in the United States; I wonder how many different patterns there has been?

I still like an old slipjoint spring back knife but I really do see a value in a lock blade on a working knife. Tom

Tom609
May 4, 2011, 05:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by K96771
Until last year when the red plastic case developed a crack, I had carried the same SAK every day for over 30 years. It still had the original tooth pick and tweezers. I put it in my range bag and it has been replaced by a new SAK Soldier.

Carl L. responded...

You know you can send it in to Victorinox's Shelton Conn. location, and they'll replace the scales for free? Victorinox has a unlimited lifetime warranty that you can't beat. Or you can get new scales cheep from Felinevet at sosak.com. They just pop on.

Carl, I took your advise and sent it to Victorinox in early March and got it back in the mail today. I thought it might have been lost in the mail and was ready to give up on it. It was good seeing the old girl all spruced up with a new case, toothpick and tweezer. Thanks for reminding me. It feels good having it back in my pocket where it belongs.

Be well.

thunder173
May 4, 2011, 06:17 PM
Buck Large Trapper in my pocket as I type, with a Gerber Gator clipped on my belt,...a few different variations of Swiss Army's around the ranch,..and a lot of different Bucks and Gerber's designed and used for different reasons, ...I don't collect them per se, but I sure have a lot of them,..and they all get used at one time or another,..or are positioned to be used if needed. I doubt there's a day goes by that I don't use one or several in the course of the day.

Cob
May 5, 2011, 01:11 AM
I would feel naked without the 2+ oz of wood and steel in my left front pocket... I even snuck it to highschool 20 years ago, into the amusement park 3 years ago, :D, and argued that it was a necesary work item last time i went into the courthouse... but had enough sense to pack it deep in my suitcase at the AP

riseagainstforme
May 5, 2011, 02:14 AM
I know knives that are a part of a belt buckle are illegal in my state(Nevada)

I always carry my kershaw

craftsman
May 5, 2011, 02:48 PM
A small, all stainless one, blade is about 2 in. long, with scissors and a nailfile. Passes airport security.

Walking Dead
May 5, 2011, 08:40 PM
Benchmade griptilian tanto.

whitefeathersniper
May 11, 2011, 10:32 AM
A CRKT M16 at the moment. Bought it when I was in Iraq

BWatts
May 11, 2011, 12:24 PM
That's like asking if I wear pants :-)
Well said. :-)
My thoughts exactly!

BWatts
May 11, 2011, 12:26 PM
I typically carry a Kershaw Skyline - great every day knife and very light. It's always figured the few times I forgot it something came up that made not having it a huge inconvenience. I try to have it with me every day regardless of what I'm wearing.

Chasing Crow
May 11, 2011, 07:50 PM
Yes, always. Usually a Buck Lancer - small and easy to carry.
A friend at work gave me a Boker Muskrat and I carry it often. That knife is inexpensive but just feels really good.
If I'm serious, I carry a Gerber Gator.

Seventhsword
May 11, 2011, 07:52 PM
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5009/5640903325_a2b0eabd9c_b.jpg

NMPOPS
May 11, 2011, 10:21 PM
I've carried a pocket knife just about every day of my life since I was about 9. I'm 57 now and am never without a Case Stockman and a SAK Tinker.

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's rainin"

mossberg835
May 22, 2011, 09:50 PM
I have two dresser drawers full of pocket knives , really love sodbusters. Copperlocks as well , tend to lean towards benchmade (Mel Pardue designs) for daily carry. Lately though I've started carrying a u.s. made Kershaw(Ken Onion). Mostly because I found a diamond stone that works perfectly for it. On some days I drag out the old Buck ranger, just because I love it, but it's a little heavy for daily carry.

Firemedic56
May 28, 2011, 11:46 AM
2 crkt m-16s

1 for defensive purposes
1 for utility

They are cheap enough and durable enough for pretty much any task ive used this model for...

I ve even managed to hack a sapling down with the damn thing before..

If you enjoyed reading about "do any of you guys carry a pocket knife" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!