Handgun Ammo, Any info on these?

PDA

DasFriek
January 2, 2011, 07:40 PM
I just returned from a local gun show and found what seemed like a reputable handloader and reloader and some of the bullet options were Nosler 115gr in 9mm and 185gr in .45acp.
I picked up a 100 of each at factory fmj load prices.
But ive never seen gel tests or any expansion tests on these rounds so i have no clue how well they expand and reliability of expansion.

They look to be what i was used to seeing 20 years ago technology wise so i don't expect them to be replacing any carry ammo i have.
Plus i don't trust anyones hand loads for SD unless its Buffalo Bore or DT.
One plus is he says they are loaded power wise to the high end of SAMMI specs without being a +P so i like that.

Secondly i found a good deal on some Federal HST 9mm 147gr +P loads which sound like a dream load. Anyone think these would have any trouble in a 3" polygonal barrel in my Kahr MK9?
Please link any tests you may have done or results from expansion and penetration testing. Or if you know of any from the net.

If you enjoyed reading about "Handgun Ammo, Any info on these?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ProCarryNAustin
January 2, 2011, 08:43 PM
I just don't trust any run of the mill handloader's ammunition in my guns. Too much at stake for any amount of savings, 'specially if "they are loaded to the high end".

Something to check. Some local police supply places allow regular folks to buy ammunition. I get HST for a couple dollars more than Walmart charges for whitebox.

DasFriek
January 2, 2011, 09:52 PM
I usually buy my LE ammo online with no issues, I just had not run across HST 147gr +P.
I know the risks of buying others handloads, But i felt these we ok for some reason. I guess ill find out the hard way.
Squibs and double charges happen even in the hands of major makers, Just not as often im sure.

So back on topic, Anyone have info on the Nosler handgun hollow points and the 147gr +P HST?

If you enjoyed reading about "Handgun Ammo, Any info on these?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!