Questions about an early MK I Desert Eagle

PDA

Airburst
January 2, 2011, 09:32 PM
What's the poop on these early .357 magnum chambered guns? Are they reliable? What are the differences between generations.

If you enjoyed reading about "Questions about an early MK I Desert Eagle" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
PO2Hammer
January 3, 2011, 12:38 AM
They had three piece barrels, the modern ones are a single piece, and are supposed to be more accurate.
There's no caliber swapping with the Mark I's and no scope rail on the barrel IIRC.
Probably more to it than that, but it's been a while since I was interested.

predator20
January 3, 2011, 01:59 AM
Mine was okay reliable as long as your were shooting good ammo. (They don't like being dirty either) The recommended grain bullet is 158. I shot down to 125 grain and it cycled fine but wouldn't lock the slide back. The Mark I's have the tear drop safety and single step slide release. The Mark VII and XIX have the 3 stepped slide release which is much better.

They can't switch caliber unless you have the slide also. But if you're not into that, then it isn't going to matter. The Mark I's can generally be had at a much cheaper price than the newer ones. I paid $750 for mine 2 years or so ago, traded it in a month ago and got $600.

I'd like to get a .44 in the future. Which is what I originally wanted in the first place.

Airburst
January 3, 2011, 08:53 AM
Thanks for the info.

If you enjoyed reading about "Questions about an early MK I Desert Eagle" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!