wow! a 50 cal 777 50 grain pellet fits in a 45 lc case

PDA

andrewstorm
January 4, 2011, 04:14 AM
has anyone ever tried to shoot a 777 50 grain pellet after loading in a 45 lc cartridge:eek:

If you enjoyed reading about "wow! a 50 cal 777 50 grain pellet fits in a 45 lc case" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
wittzo
January 4, 2011, 12:04 PM
Don't do that.

Gatofeo
January 4, 2011, 01:41 PM
Like the old jazz song of the 1920s says, "If it don't fit, don't force it."
Not a good idea.
Fifty grains of Hodgdon 777 would be a very stout load. That pellet may be made of a propellant especially created for rifles. I don't know, I don't use the damnable things myself.
How it will function, and how much pressure it might produce, in a revolver is an unknown.
Your best bet would be to contact the manufacturer, Hodgdon, and ask how a 50 gr. pellet of 777 might work in a .45 Colt case.
Hodgdon made the thing, it should know.

RaiderANV
January 5, 2011, 09:45 PM
If'n ya do it,,,,,,,,,,,,take plenty of pictures as ya might make it in the 2011 Darwin Awards :banghead:

ClemBert
January 5, 2011, 11:17 PM
If they did do it then it'd probably be the one and only time they tried it.

andrewstorm
January 6, 2011, 02:46 AM
I don't want to emulate Elmer Keith,and blow a cylinder I just want to make a ruger load ,also I just weighed the 777 50 grain pellet and the actual weight was 30 grains,anyone know how the guy that Invented pyrodex died,overload maybe:eek: any way I load 42 grains 3 f 777 in my Ruger old army with good results, my reserch indacated that the only use of pyrodex pellets in cartridges known ,was an article in guns n ammo it said that 1 pistol pellet 30 gr produced a mv of 950 fps :eek:with a 225 gr bullet,the actual weight of the pistol pellet is 24 grain,I was just curious,and Ill never use any load not recommended by the manufacturer,but if I do Ill have a long kite string to pull the trigger with:eek:

andrewstorm
January 6, 2011, 03:00 AM
oops.......

Gatofeo
January 9, 2011, 02:31 PM
You're already using a 20 percent overload in that Ruger Blackhawk, if you're using 42 grains of 777.
Hodgdon, the manufacturer of 777, lists no more than 35 grains of 777 for the Ruger Old Army. That's with a Hornady .457 inch ball and Ox-Yoke Wonder Wad.
Check out the Hodgdon website at http://hodgdon.com/
Hodgdon lists up to 40 grains of Pyrodex with the same ball and wad, but stops at 35 grains for 777.
They're the folks with the instruments to measure pressure, so I'd trust their judgement more than anyone else.

Dan Pawlak, the inventor of Pyrodex, was killed Jan. 27, 1977 when the Pyrodex plant blew up, in Issaquah, Washington, east of Seattle.
I don't believe a cause was ever determined, least not that I've read, but it surely was not from an loverloaded revolver.
The plant blew up in the manfacturing process.
Pyrodex is designed to be substituted volume-for-volume with black powder, but not weight. It's more corrosive than black powder, though harder to ignite.
Because it's more difficult to ignite than black powder, it may be shipped under the same classification as smokeless powder.
I've not found Pyrodex as accurate as regular black powder, but if it's all you can get then it's a good propellant.

andrewstorm
January 22, 2011, 09:16 PM
any amount of 777 3f cant damage a ruger old army,the prototype was proofed with a cylinder full of bulls eye (heat treated 4140 can withstand 50,000 psi ),bill ruger wanted an idiot proof 1858\beals bp revolver,he was a bp enthusiast first and foremost,as he said about the ruger old army (thats the revolver I like)and we will never discontinue it as long as I can help it,dang i cant fit the 777 50 gr pellet in a roa chamber,shucks

rdstrain49
January 22, 2011, 09:33 PM
I think he was talking about putting the pellet in a 45 colt case. Don't know, never tried it, never will, but would you get any compression. Pyro' pellets require some compression, does 777 also? Way too many variables to use in my weapon. But then, he might make a very interesting video. Don't think it's a good idea.

If you enjoyed reading about "wow! a 50 cal 777 50 grain pellet fits in a 45 lc case" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!