Zoot Shooters?

PDA

Derek Zeanah
January 4, 2011, 11:14 AM
I'd never heard of this one. (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203513204576047843270055436.html?mod=ITP_AHED)

If you enjoyed reading about "Zoot Shooters?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Sam1911
January 4, 2011, 11:26 AM
Yeah, pretty cool (though just as silly as a lot of the SASS stuff -- silly in a good way, though, I think).

http://www.zootshooters.com/

I think my wife would fit in well there. I remember one day when I'd recently started writing IDPA stages for my new MD's position, she said she had a pretty cool idea for a stage. But she stopped and asked, "Wait, can you be the bad guy?"

":scrutiny:... No."

"Oh, never mind then."

:D

Zak Smith
January 4, 2011, 03:34 PM
I know the founders. One of them was one of the principals of Colorado Multi-Gun, the rest I've known from USPSA, 3-Gun, and long-range. They certainly have fun with the idea. Of course, I always get into a philosophical debate about not being able to use a "real rifle".

Shadow 7D
January 4, 2011, 03:50 PM
Hey Zak, you could remind them of the BAR, but then you would have to find one someone would let you borrow.

Zak Smith
January 4, 2011, 06:35 PM
The rules specify pistol caliber rifles only.

Rancho Relaxo
January 4, 2011, 06:45 PM
Sounds really fun. Do they have stages with shotgun, rifle and pistol all combined?

Shadow 7D
January 4, 2011, 06:57 PM
Oh, well that isn't historic at all...
might be fun, but, now I get what the Cowboy Action guy was saying.

Justin
January 5, 2011, 12:34 AM
Rancho, I think they've had some matches with pickup guns appropriate to the era.

However, based on what I remember from reading their rulebook, the game is set up so that if if all you have is a 1911, you can still play.

Use of the semi-auto Tommy guns is encouraged, but not mandatory.

NRAhab
January 6, 2011, 04:00 PM
Gun Nuts Radio (http://www.blogtalkradio.com/gunnuts/2009/10/28/gun-nuts-radio-self-defense) (full disclosure, I'm the host and owner of the show) did an interview with one of the founders of the Zoot Shooters last year as well. They were also featured on an episode of Michael Bane's show Shooting Gallery. They're all really cool guys, and if I had the money for a zoot suit and a Tommy Gun, I'd be all over that game.

kyletx1911
January 7, 2011, 04:46 AM
all i need is for momma to find me a zoot suit and i am good to go

Racebannon
February 5, 2011, 09:24 AM
One of the good aspects of Zoot Shooting is the fact that you can get into it without a lot of money. The Thompson and M1911 are nice but not manditory. Pre 1939 style guns (which cover a lot of territory, especially with revolvers) are used. It's still possible to find used S&W model 10 revolvers at reasonable prices, and some Winchester model 92 type rifles are new around $450. The key is pre 1939 style. Many revolvers have changed little since that time. That helps getting into the sport pretty inexpensively. In fact many gun enthusiasts already own suitable firearms.

Right now the sport is centered around one handgun and one rifle. That keeps the cost low also. I already had a Thompson and an Argentine model 1927 (identical to the M1911A1). If the sport every expands into shotguns I have an old rawbone Win model 12. But any similar styled pump gun would do. The rules do provide to "guest weapon stages" where shotguns and full rifle caliber weapons (like the BAR and M1903, M1917, etc), can be used.

CAS shooters can just change clothes as their weapons fall into the time period as well. I'm building my costume around a "bootlegger" or "adventurer" chatacter and I don't have much invested. I cleaned out a few closets and I've found everything I need. A few trips to thrift stores can help also.

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj32/WilliamTheConqueror/zoot/zootshoot003-1.jpg

AirForceShooter
February 5, 2011, 09:41 AM
Love the clothes

AFS

VT Deer Hunter
February 5, 2011, 03:34 PM
Thats different dressing up as gangsters than cowboys.

kayak-man
February 6, 2011, 01:14 AM
Do they care if its a GI 1911, or can beavertail-grip-safety-guns play too?

Other than the Thompson, I'm having a really hard time thinking of any other period correct PCCs other than maybe a lever gun.

I'm just getting into USPSA, and I've got to say, this looks like a heckofa lot of fun. Maybe I'll talk to my local range one day about getting a Zoot Suit match going...

Chris "the Kayak-Man" Johnson

kayak-man
February 6, 2011, 12:18 PM
Nevermind, I found the rulebook, and they don't like 1911s with beavertails.

Chris "the Kayak-Man" Johnson

If you enjoyed reading about "Zoot Shooters?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!