2 .308 Questions

PDA

Cyborg
January 5, 2011, 01:51 PM
Just about have enough for the FNAR I've been saving for (don't ask me what I want it for so I don't have to tell you to MYOB) but have 2 questions about other things related to the weapon.

1. Scope: I'm not interested in 1,000 yards. I would have a hard time SEEING something as small as a deer at 1k yds, so no reason to try to hit one. I WOULD like to be able to reach out to 400 yds or so. The rifle comes with accessory and forearm rails and scope rings. I am looking for suggestions as to what to fill those scope rings with.

2. Practice Ammo: For real targets I will use quality metal jacketed ammo. I'd like to try and spend less for the ammo I use to practice on paper targets with. Kind of like the way I use WinClean for the range but Speer Gold Dot 155 gr. .40 cal for my Baby Eagle when I carry. Suggestions? I'm going to take a weekend class to get minimal proficiency with the weapon and the literature for the class suggests 250 rds/day. I figure I'll give it a good cleaning when I get home. I have already downloaded the breakdown video and will get more before I go for the class. I just don't want to spend a lot for practice ammo.

BTW, I read the other .308 thread and was planning to buy a bore snake anyhow. I have no expectation of using it ever as an infantry weapon but I might have to take down a varmint or 2. In any case I do not expect to need to field strip the weapon under combat conditions.

If you enjoyed reading about "2 .308 Questions" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
451 Detonics
January 5, 2011, 02:20 PM
A Leupold Mk 4 would be a good place to start looking.

I have put a bunch of Prvi Partizan through both my bolt guns and my FN FAL...shoots well and is reasonably priced.

txhoghunter
January 5, 2011, 03:33 PM
Prvi is good practice ammo

My only problem with a Leupold Mk IV is that its price starts about the same as your FNAR, maybe consider a Bushnell Elite?

redbullitt
January 5, 2011, 03:40 PM
For the scope, (unsure of your price range) look at a swfa SS, nikon buckmaster, mark 4 leupold, or a nightforce. You could most certainly make use of an acog as well.

I have run all four of these scopes, and for their price range, they are fantastic.

C-grunt
January 5, 2011, 03:43 PM
What is your budget for the scope?

For just a few hundred buck, Leupold makes the Mk AR series. They are built to the same standards as the Mk4 but use cheaper glass and no illumination. SWFA.com has good pricing on them.

LoonWulf
January 5, 2011, 03:51 PM
Well since you could take FNAR and turn it into For No Actual Reason.....i dont think we have to ask :p

As for a scope id personaly be looking at 4-500 dollar range scopes from the majors, most will be about the same. If you want to move up in quality later you can always dump them on ebay for probably a 2/3 what you paid if not more and pick up something nicer.

This maybe a local thing, but i can get soft point winchester and remington ammo cheaper then Prvi, or some of the other cheap stuff....American eagle is cheaper still. Id just look around at your lgs, or maybe check some adds in the paper, some times you turn up some great deals. Id stick with new manufacture stuff, but again thats me, having seen some interesting things out here in hawaii.

stubbicatt
January 7, 2011, 09:22 AM
Congrats on your new rifle. I've heard good things about them, accuracy wise. You will have to let us know how you like it.

I have had good results with the IOR line of scopes. You might check them out. I think some of them have a BDC type elevation knob which might come in handy for your setup there.

Rave
January 26, 2011, 04:10 PM
I got the light barrel used (about 20 shots!) for $1100. A lovely gun. Easy to shoot. Put a Cabela's Bighorn 3-12x40 w/ BDC Reticle on Her. 165gr Sierra Game King and Hornady SST with 44-45 grains of Reloder15 and CCI primers print 1 inch, 5-shot groups every time (about my limit, with 20/40 vision and a lot of astigmatism). Have not noticed any change in impact between cold or warm barrel. Initially, ejection was beating up my brass pretty good, but the factory fixed that under warranty. Sweet gun. I will begin exploring the 600-800yard neighborhood...just for fun.

Additional info: factory guy has put 6500 rounds through his with no change in accuracy. Don not ("no need to") lap the hard-chromed bore. Additional 20-round clip I bought would not pop out when released - factory replaced it. FN customer service has been excellent - let them take care of you!

Happy shooting.

Bill_Rights
March 4, 2011, 01:50 AM
Cy,
You mentioned, somewhat off your own topic (OYT), cleaning of the FNAR during extended shooting/training sessions, like so:250 rds/day. I figure I'll give it a good cleaning when I get home.....I read the other .308 thread and was planning to buy a bore snake anyhow. I have no expectation of using it ever as an infantry weapon but I might have to take down a varmint or 2. In any case I do not expect to need to field strip the weapon under combat conditions.What I do is pack one of these Otis Micro Rifle Gun Cleaning Kit 30 to 45 Caliber (Midway Product # 348653, Price $9.79) in a zip-lock baggie (you could be a little more professional) that goes wherever the gun goes. Pull a barely oiled patch from breech to muzzle once in a while, especially if the wind is blowing dust around. Dust in bore = scratches. If shooting a bunch of rounds, no reason not to have peace of mind. Nice chrome-lined barrel on FNAR - don't mess it up ;).

At the end of the day before you put the gun away, 5-6 pulls with solvent/brush, solvent/patch, dry patch and oiled patch and you don't have to clean the bore, throat and chamber when you get home. You can attend to cleaning/lubing the bolt, trigger group and gas-system once a month or so. Whatever.

Butt simple, quick and superior cleaning. At $10 a kit, I have these in all my rifle cases and bags.

http://i702.photobucket.com/albums/ww25/Bill_Rights/Otis_Micro_Cleaning_Kit_10_Midway_N.jpg

Sheepdog1968
March 4, 2011, 11:30 AM
I personally prefer low power fixed scopes in the 2.5x to 4x range. I prefer scopes made by Leupold (reliable and lifetime no BS warranty). For ammo, I'd look around for bulk suprlus military ammo.

If you enjoyed reading about "2 .308 Questions" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!