Help ID this rifle!

PDA

gkdir
January 5, 2011, 09:14 PM
Caliber .243win
Marked "Sears Heritage M-IV Supreme 122-5710
Serial on reciever is Z-208XXX
Mauser action of some type(drop floor with release in trigger guard)
24" #2 barrel (no irons)
Bolt release looks just like a Ruger M77 Mark
Stock is high gloss walnut with rose wood tip and cap with white spacers, butt plate red waffled rubber,,frankly looks a great deal like the stock off one of my older model Weatherby Mark V's.
Shoots sub moa with Federal blue box 100 grainers.

Can someone Date this rifle, and supply a manufacturer. Thanks for the help.

If you enjoyed reading about "Help ID this rifle!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jim Watson
January 5, 2011, 10:29 PM
Not familar with the designation, show pictures.

R.W.Dale
January 5, 2011, 10:32 PM
As usual there's only so much we can do without pics

I may be mistaken but I BELIEVE what you have is a sears branded FN mauser, does it say where it was made?

If so A very prized and soughtafter firearm indeed

NCsmitty
January 5, 2011, 10:45 PM
I found this picture of a Sears Heritage M-IV Supreme. Not sure of the manufacturer, probably FN, maybe.

Update, found a thread indicating it's a Santa Barbara Mauser. (SPAIN)

NCsmitty

Tom Hudson
January 5, 2011, 11:24 PM
for many years Sears sold some very nice FN rifles - they were really sleepers on the market - i know of more than one that the barrel was removed & turned on a lathe to remove the Sears - Normally the price would double when the barrel was de-branded - i have engraved a few over the years - but i haven't seen one in some time but they are still out there. tom

451 Detonics
January 6, 2011, 06:20 AM
It is a Spanish Mauser (98) made by Empresa Nacional Santa Barbara de Industrias Militares, S.A. in La Coruna, Spain. Figure late 60's through the early 80's.

Just as a sidenote P.O. Ackley built quite a few on this action.

Jim Watson
January 6, 2011, 10:39 AM
Interesting, I have seen Sears FNs and Sears Winchesters, but not a Sears Coruna before. Not to mention the Weatherbyoid stock.

gkdir
January 6, 2011, 01:02 PM
Thanks to all that responded. Your information has added to my opinion of this rifle. Great looking, well built, and "very" accurate. I will file all this info in the gun file. When I get the camera up, I will post some pics, but they will be exactly like what a member already posted. Once again --thank you. THR has always been a source of great info.
GD

S. Hill
January 6, 2011, 03:08 PM
+1 on the Santa Barbara Mauser. I think that the FN's usually had the safety on the bolt shroud. (Not 100% sure of that)

jgiehl
January 8, 2011, 07:25 AM
does it say made by firearms company of bridgewater, england?

gkdir
January 8, 2011, 11:55 PM
Does not have a "manufacturer" on it any where.

vaupet
January 9, 2011, 08:43 AM
If it is FN made, it should probably have belgian proofmarks on it somewhere.

http://damascus-barrels.com/Belgian_All_Proofmarks.html

greetings

Peter

If you enjoyed reading about "Help ID this rifle!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!