357 Critical Defense?

PDA

Santifort
January 6, 2011, 01:08 AM
I just bought a new 357 rossi snub for a truck gun i bought some 125 gr critical defense ammo. Hornady advertises the critical defense ammo at 1500 fps but its out of a 8" barrel how will it affect penetration and expansion and also velocity. Every other bullet tested was shot out of a "defense" type gun from 2.5 " barrels to 5" for the exception of the 357 so does anyone know how fast they are moving out of the snubbie and also if the bullet will still have reliable expansion?

If you enjoyed reading about "357 Critical Defense?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Bovice
January 6, 2011, 01:15 AM
That bullet is still going to come out screaming down the barrel, and more than likely expand just fine. Hornady is pretty good at developing a bullet that will expand at a range of velocities. They have it in mind that not everyone uses the same barrel length and velocity can vary some. You can always try it for yourself. There's a guy on youtube who tested expansion using water jugs, i think. Maybe he or someone else has already done it with a gun similar to yours.

shootingthebreeze
January 6, 2011, 06:11 PM
Santifort, I have a Rossi 357/38 snub, have had it since 1997 and it is extremely accurate. Nice revolver.
Your choice is good-I like Hornady, because their hollow points expand the same each time. That would be important with concerns of overpenetration. You want good penetration but you want also good bullet braking as well.

Sgt.Murtaugh
January 6, 2011, 06:12 PM
best. ammo. ever.

you will be fine

If you enjoyed reading about "357 Critical Defense?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!