22lr wadcutters?

PDA

shotgunjoel
January 6, 2011, 04:14 PM
I was wondering last night, why doesn't somebody make a 22lr wadcutter round? It would be great in revolvers, just like every other wadcutter out there. Is there just no demand for it?

If you enjoyed reading about "22lr wadcutters?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
41magsnub
January 6, 2011, 04:19 PM
A .22 is a heeled bullet, if it was a wadcutter like a .38 HBWC it would be a smaller diameter than the barrel and not engage the rifling.

Maybe I'm not understanding your question though...

shotgunjoel
January 6, 2011, 04:22 PM
A .22 is a heeled bullet, if it was a wadcutter like a .38 HBWC it would be a smaller diameter than the barrel and not engage the rifling.
Okay, I understand that, but what I was wondering is what if instead of having a round nosed bullet, you made it flat, like a wadcutter.

Jim Watson
January 6, 2011, 04:27 PM
You would likely have feeding difficulties in automatics which outnumber revolvers these days. The old Peters line actually had a .22 LR wadcutter back in the 1930s but it did not last.

Hmm, I find I have been around once on the matter.
http://www.thehighroad.org/showpost.php?p=235307&postcount=8

Grunt Medic TXARNG
January 6, 2011, 05:08 PM
.22 Stingers are hollowpoints, and thus have a 'flat' nose when viewed from the side. Unfortunately, they are much more likely to have a failure to feed than round nosed ammo - especially in semiauto firearms. I suspect the same issue would arise if you flattened round nosed bullets - but you could give it a try and let us know how it works out.

rcmodel
January 6, 2011, 05:14 PM
Is there just no demand for it? I wouldn't say no demand.

Just not enough demand.

Like has already been said, they would not feed in a semi-auto, pump, or bolt action.
And those three action types outnumber .22 revolvers & single-shots about ten thousand to one.

rc

gofastman
January 6, 2011, 05:16 PM
yes.
http://www.cci-ammunition.com/products/detail.aspx?use=2&loadNo=0058
and
http://www.remington.com/products/ammunition/rimfire/22-rimfire/viper.aspx
PM sent too.

highorder
January 6, 2011, 05:20 PM
I'd snap those up in a heartbeat of they were available locally.

ECVMatt
January 6, 2011, 05:39 PM
I have shot some game with the SGB's and they are awesome; they seem to hit much harder than the round nose. They are well worth the effort to obtain.

bannockburn
January 6, 2011, 05:44 PM
I will definitely have look for a box of those SGB the next time I go shopping for ammo. They would be great in my Single-Six.

Kernel
January 6, 2011, 06:10 PM
You could make your own (sort of). One nice feature about the acurrizer is it can up size .22 LR bullets to 0.224", to better match the Single-Sixes slightly oversized bore (Ruger makes it "over sized" so it can better shoot the larger .22 Mag with the included extra cylinder).

http://www.leverguns.com/store/acurizer.htm

http://www.leverguns.com/store/acurzr.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LINl6TRpg84

Marc257
January 6, 2011, 06:16 PM
The CCI SGB is my exclusive squirrel hunting round. And it feeds perfectly in my mkII. It disappeared for a while, then I found some and bought all they had.

Elmer
January 6, 2011, 06:21 PM
Those CCI SGB rounds would probably be the best choice for a .22 defense gun. They'd likely penetrate deeper than the various hyper velocity rounds.

Curator
January 6, 2011, 06:27 PM
Paco Kelly was selling a bullet-nose forming devise for .22 rim fire cartridges. It had a hollow point, cup point and flat (slight dish) point former. The devise can be ordered with different diameter forming chambers to match the preferences of your rifle from .222 up to .225. The flat point bullet had noticeably more "impact" on squirrels and rabbits than normal long rifle bullets.

ROAshooter
January 6, 2011, 06:34 PM
get out the dremel tool with cutoff wheel and make your own.....

1911Tuner
January 6, 2011, 06:36 PM
Easy to do with a utility knife and a file. I've done it a lot when I needed to punch another hole in a leather belt.

Zanad
January 6, 2011, 06:38 PM
if your a do-it-your-self-er, you could take some Aquila 60gn SSS and cut them down to about 40gn.

RidgwayCO
January 6, 2011, 06:59 PM
I've got some of Paco Kelly's Acu'rzr tools, and they work very well. The Nasti-nose is just that, and the modified bullets are extremely accurate to boot. Plus, Paco is a great guy to deal with.

I've also got a tool called the SGB Tool (made by The Hanned Line, but not any longer I'm afraid), where you use a file to remove the nose of a .22LR bullet, making it a flat nose. I've got them in .22LR and .22 Short configurations.

And don't even start about the ".22LR Rimfire Hollow Pointer Tool" I bought years ago from E. Arthur Brown (it still works, thank you very much)...

If you can't tell, I'm a little bit of junkie when it comes to .22LR bullet modification tools...

Elmer
January 6, 2011, 07:00 PM
get out the dremel tool with cutoff wheel and make your own.....

You'd end up losing weight and the penetration advantage.

ROAshooter
January 6, 2011, 07:17 PM
I dont think the paper target that wadcutters are used for will notice the loss of weight or penetration..

Prosser
January 6, 2011, 07:32 PM
Plus 2 on Paco Kelly accurizer.

Elmer
January 6, 2011, 08:57 PM
I dont think the paper target that wadcutters are used for will notice the loss of weight or penetration..

;)

Depends on what you want them for. A flat nosed solid .22 would be a far better choice for defense with a .22 than any of the hyper velocity hollow points, as they would have greater penetration. .38 wadcutters will outperform many defense specific loads for the same reason.

CoastieShep
January 6, 2011, 09:46 PM
I really want one of those Paco tools. Looks like the nasty nose would be great for bigger small game.

Prosser
January 6, 2011, 09:54 PM
Anybody ever had one of those 22 HP's expand? In rats, out of a rifle, they were just round nose bullets. NO expansion.

ROAshooter
January 6, 2011, 10:06 PM
and thats why I will use a 38 wadcutter for defense over a wadcutter 22....

788Ham
January 7, 2011, 12:16 AM
They've got some about 10 miles from me, gonna stock up 2morrow!

CraigC
January 7, 2011, 12:59 AM
Like has already been said, they would not feed in a semi-auto, pump, or bolt action.
And those three action types outnumber .22 revolvers & single-shots about ten thousand to one.
What he said! I can see it now, hordes of new internet complainers whining because their .22LR wadcutters won't feed through their old Marlin. Revolvers make up a very small part of the .22LR world. I have several and shoot them often but would not have any interest in a wadcutter. Paco's hollowpoint tool interests me more than a wadcutter.

What would be the intended purpose anyway? Actually, I know of two designs on the market that are basically semi-wadcutters, marketed as a truncated cone. Remington's two hyper velocity loads, the Yellow Jacket and Viper are of this design and cut nice clean holes in paper.

Anybody ever had one of those 22 HP's expand?
Remington Golden Bullet hollowpoints have been my chosen small game bullet for at least 15yrs, if not more. Very effective, much moreso than any solid, or Federal's token hollowpoints. They expand nicely, even out of handguns.

shotgunjoel
January 7, 2011, 01:03 AM
Interesting stuff, I was just curious and knew that if they existed someone here would know about them. Thanks.

pikid89
January 7, 2011, 01:15 AM
CCI Stingers expand pretty good on the rabbits i shot with my ruger mkII (what a fireball out the barrel with those lol)

If you enjoyed reading about "22lr wadcutters?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!