registering a pb gun


January 7, 2011, 01:31 AM
I was thinking if i register my pb pistol (because you have to in the state of mich if you want to hunt with it) then i get a R&D/kirst converter do i have to re register it because it now takes a modern cartrage or wold i be ok? any one here ever do this?

If you enjoyed reading about "registering a pb gun" here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!
January 7, 2011, 02:48 AM
You DO NOT need to register your percussion handgun in MI for ANY reason.

The DNR hunting and trapping guides are just guides, they do not contain the actual language of the law. The part that states handguns used for hunting must be registered applies to cartridge firearms and they simply neglected to add the the exception for antique replicas as prescribed by state law.

If you install a conversion cylinder or even possess both the cylinder and the percussion handgun in the same place, ( constructive possession ), then you must either possess a valid CPL or acquire a permit to purchase a pistol and, in both cases, register it accordingly.

January 7, 2011, 04:28 AM
ok i want to registure my bp pistol in case i ever want to open carry and the law does say (as far as i know) any pistol to be open carryed must be registured to whom it is being carryed by. so in that case would it have to be re registured if already so then converted?

January 7, 2011, 05:37 AM
Let me repeat that under Michigan law any percussion handgun that has been converted to fire fixed ammunition MUST be registered via either a purchase permit or RI-60 ( CPL holders ) regardless of whether you carry it openly, hunt with it, lock it in your safe, or bury it in your back yard.

Secondly, there is no law in Michigan that specifically permits the general public to open carry any firearm, let alone a requirement that such firearm be registered. It is the absence of any laws prohibiting such carry that make it legal.

The controlling law is MCL 28.422
The law exempting your '58 Remington is MCL 28.432

Since the only law requiring registration is found in 28.422 and 28.432 exempts percussion guns from all of the requirements of 28.422, there is no law requiring such a gun to be registered in order to openly carry it.

January 7, 2011, 05:44 AM
so i can carry without registuring cool thanks for you help. I asked the same question at opencarry an noone could give me an answer i just dont want to get stoped by a leo and have him check my gun and come back to me and say i cant give you you gun back beacuse its not registured to you so i dont know if its stolen or not

January 7, 2011, 06:15 AM
I'm sorry to say this but what you fear is more than likely to be exactly what happens despite the law. Most LEOs are not familiar enough with the law to know the exceptions to the rule, especially since the changes are relatively recent (2004).

I would suggest that you familiarize yourself with those two sections of law, most notably 28.432(h), and be ready to point an ignorant officer politely in the right direction. Also be prepared for the fact that they will probably leave you with an empty holster while they " look into it ".

January 7, 2011, 06:23 AM
yeah the only time i plan on OCing in public is with other OCers just to show my support mostly. I know i dont have to but to be on the safe side what all do i have to do to register my bp pistol is thare a safty test like when you get a permit to buy a modern pistol or do thay just take my name and gun S/N and send me on my way?

January 7, 2011, 06:39 AM
If you don't have a CPL, you will have to go get a purchase permit just as you would to buy any cartridge handgun. Simply list yourself as both the buyer and the seller on the permit with a notation that you are converting your existing percussion firearm. Then return the appropriate copies to your issuing PD to complete the registration.

January 7, 2011, 06:50 AM
whosyrdaddy is exactly correct on the Michigan laws. Well done.

I assume you do not have a Michigan CPL. If that's correct, to register your bp revolver, go to your local sheriff's office and request a pistol purchase permit. Do not take the gun with you, even locked up in a case. Fill out the permit and return it to the sheriff's office. There is no longer a safety inspection, and in fact the sheriff does not want to see the gun, so leave it at home.

If you do have a Michigan CPL, you need to fill out a form RI-60 (Pistol Sales Record) and mail it to the sheriff; you don't even need to go to the office in person. The form is available on line ( Again, they do not need to see or inspect the gun.

January 7, 2011, 07:09 AM
i did not know that There is no longer a safety inspection. one last thing does the pistol purchase permit cost anything? thank you for all the help

January 7, 2011, 04:04 PM
Is there an age requirement in MI to purchase and shoot a C&B revolver?

January 7, 2011, 04:07 PM
The MI fee for filing for a CPL is $105+fingerprint fee of $15

January 7, 2011, 06:54 PM
You must be 18 or older and there is no cost for the Purchase permit.

January 7, 2011, 07:41 PM
according to the Michigan state police web site curios relics and antiques as defined by mi law are exempt,from registration requirements ,replicas of antiques are exempt if they are muzzleloaders pin fire or other similar ignition or chambered in a caliber no longer commercially loaded in this country and not available thru the ordinary channels of commerce, what ever that means is to be interpreted,lets hope they don't Interpret that the same way they do the second amendment:scrutiny: but fella you better go to the MI state police website and study the law it will give you some peace of mind to know for sure that your in compliance with the law . p.s..also see the Janet kukuk act as to the inapplicability of the registration law pertaining to antiques and replicas.but dont take my word for it,call your local chief of police

January 7, 2011, 11:25 PM
Very well done guys. I wish everyone knew these laws, we would all be further ahead. By the way, MICHIGANDERS RULE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

January 7, 2011, 11:28 PM
Except on New Year's Day in Florida.:mad:

If you enjoyed reading about "registering a pb gun" here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!