S&w m&p .45

PDA

wilbur 46
January 7, 2011, 04:42 PM
Has the safety, which feels like it is too easy to operate.
Anyone else wonder about this?
I haven't detail stripped this pistol yet. It belongs to someone else.
How does it block the trigger, and does it use a spring?
I think it must be something simple but I don't have any reference material that covers this pistol.
Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "S&w m&p .45" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
HoosierQ
January 7, 2011, 05:08 PM
There isn't a spring. It just flips up and down. It physically blocks the trigger bar from moving to the rear. It does not lock anything. It will flip on and off rather easily. It is a good gun but the Safety design leaves much to be desired.

Mine has about 1000k rounds through it without ONE SINGLE ISSUE but the silly little safety is kind of a bummer really. It is easy to remove and were I able to plug up the unsightly holes it leaves, I probably already would have.

I much prefer the frame safety on the SR9 to be honest. I don't know if it is locking anything or not to be honest but it is not going to be flipped up or down accidently as it is very flat and yet it is place just perfectly for my thumb to sweep off on a draw.

S&W really needs to redesign that safety, even if all they do is change how it looks and feels and acts externally. Everybody else who has a safety that I can think of, did a better job than the M&P folks did. I suspect this is because they got way far along down a design path with no plan for a safety and added one late in the game. Other than that, it is a great gun.

If you enjoyed reading about "S&w m&p .45" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!