What the heck is airsoft?

PDA

walter34payton2002
January 8, 2011, 02:32 AM
I have been wondering about this for some time, but now its <deleted> me off. A lot of junk and knock-offs are being produced apparently for airsoft. What the hell is it paintball? Bb's? What do you do, shoot each other or targets and why the need for all the tactical <deleted> for it?

If you enjoyed reading about "What the heck is airsoft?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
kis2
January 8, 2011, 02:35 AM
they shoot plastic BB's. it's just a game like any other. and like any other popular game, it has plenty of accessories. plays a lot like paintball.

to be cool in said game, though, you have to have the tactical accessories. that way you know your airsoft skills will translate directly into real life scenarios :rolleyes::barf:

brandon_mcg
January 8, 2011, 02:42 AM
little rubber bb's. folks go all out with the ghillie suits and everything. i have been shot by one and its not that pleasant on bare skin.

CapnMac
January 8, 2011, 02:52 AM
The ammo is "soft' in that it is 2 gram 6mm diameter plastic spheres (although you can get 6g AL ammo).

This is propelled by a cock-for-each-shot spring; or and electric motor; or a refrigerant gas.

Selective fire is available. As are metal-bodied weapons that have more heft.

The weapons are 1:1 scale replicas of all sorts of firearms. Under US law, they have to have "blaze orange" at the muzzle end, allegedly so that if the dim attempt to use them in crimes, the evil-rotten-bad-meanie-kitten-kicking-puppy-dissin' po-leese dona go na violate the dim's civil rights with gen-u-ine ammunition.
No data has ever been presented that the legislation has had any effect.

There are associated "games" similar to laser-tag and paintball where one competes with the devices. A person can apply a number of attachments to airsoft, just as they can to firearms.

Chopdoktor
January 8, 2011, 02:53 AM
It's a real pain in the <deleted> when you're trying to find parts for real firearms, but the internet is flooded with all this 'airsoft' crap. I started building AR15's in 2008, and I think that's about when it really was beginning to take off. I can't tell you how many times I've found a 'great deal' on some rare or expensive part, just to find out it is a p.o.s. brittle plastic knock-off, made to appease these "tactical" airsoft players, who ought to be learning to shoot real guns, anyway! Ok, my rant is done. For a 21 year old, I can sure sound like a grumpy old fart sometimes, haha.

Jackal
January 8, 2011, 03:05 AM
Its cheap <deleted> paintball. Just more "tactical operator". Mostly played by people who think that video game skills translate into real life.

M91/30
January 8, 2011, 03:33 AM
Airsoft is a general name used to describe a 6mm plastic bb firing "weapon". The guns themselves are often built to replicate a real firearm. They are often used to simulate combat. Most people who buy them however don't play. Its a kind of status thing. They may serve a practical reason such as firearm safety instruction but are in truth IMHO the bane of firearm handling and safety precautions. Unfortunately many people buy them cause they saw the weapon in a game and cannot acquire a real firearm. All in all they are cheap plastic crap that ruin firearms safety and floods the market with junk to distract those who are searching for legitimate items.:)
Not trying to offend anyone but I feel like I put this kindly.

skarr
January 8, 2011, 03:42 AM
It's for the Call of Duty players who are too young to afford or legally purchase real guns and like to think that simulating war is cool. They shoot plastic BBs and are often the same price as real guns. Its pretty much the same concept as paintball but with more authentic looking replicas and people who wear color coordinated "tactical" outfits and balaclavas. They flood search queries with fake AR15 accessories when you are trying to look for real ones. Source: skinny kid with humongous glasses in my math class.

Alecbh
January 8, 2011, 04:27 AM
Yikes. Lots of hate on here...

Peronally, I like airsoft. It's cheaper than dirt, legal almost anywhere, and is plenty of fun. Now, I don't go out and spend hundreds of dollars on "tactical" crap, that's just stupid. If someone thinks having that stuff makes them cool, let the fool be separated from his money. But for me, an airsoft gun or two gives me a way to plink at soda cans inside city limits cheaply and legally. Yeah, a lot of it may be made to look just like some high-dollar HK or something, but seriously, don't get your panties in a wad. It's cheap fun for most, and a compensation game for a few. 90% of the airsoft "accesories" I've seen are on amazon.com/evilbay. If you're ordering from a reputable firearms accessory shop or website, you aren't gonna have to wade through airsoft stuff.

If you're sick of it, go buy a Mosin, not an AR. No one makes Mosin Nagant airsoft guns. :neener:

And to top it off, it makes a rather amusing method of ambushing unaware siblings/friends in your house. Does that demonstrate the four rules? No, but we're not playing with real guns. If you switched airsoft guns with nerf guns, would you get all pissed off about the 4 rules stuff? It's nerf, for teenagers.

And yes, I am 19, but I'm no Call of Duty know-it-all, they make me sick. I own several firearms, and I know what I'm doing with them, and I've chewed my friends out for unsafe handling of said firearms. But good GRIEF, folks. There's no reason to hate airsoft. And for goodness sake, let kids be kids. Did you play cowboys and Indians as a kid? Cops and robbers? Well, welcome to the 21st century's version: Spec Ops vs terrorists.

</2am rant>

walter34payton2002
January 8, 2011, 05:19 AM
OK I get it, it's toys for kids. What took the cake for me one day was when I was looking at cheaperthandirt.com and I saw an interesting 3xmagnifier made by Mako that I may have considered (I went with the EOTech 4x). When I read the reviews some poor dude was pissed that it was junk fit for airsoft not a real firearm. It's not just if you order from reputable dealers thing.....It's I am searching for a hard to find part or accessory and it comes up and you wade through it then come to find its for airsoft. Also, many dealers (some supposedly reputable) are selling this crap and knock-off crap and then coming up with the excuse it's for airsoft (see SOG Armory story I am sure you guys know re: fake Aimpoint 3x). Also, go to a gun show and see how many fake eotechs you see or other optics that are what we think is crap for our guns, but was intended for airsoft (that they will sell you if you don't know any better). Seriously, I get it, but you think a red dot scope is make make a dime of difference with a rubber pellot? I don't give a <deleted> what scope you got one gust of wind and your kill shot turns to a golf ball slice knuckle-baller. I tell you what, these kids now are just so messed up I don't know how they make it anymore. All of them got cell phones and live a cyber lifestyle. When I was a kid you could go out in the yard and play with a stick for 5 hours- just poking it at the dirt. Parents asked you what you did and you tell em you played with a stick. Anyway I don't like this airsoft nonsense. I see there is no soapbox smiley so I will settle for this one:what:

Girodin
January 8, 2011, 06:33 AM
It's for the Call of Duty players who are too young to afford or legally purchase real guns and like to think that simulating war is cool.

Actually air soft guns are used by a lot of pretty serious minded folks as a tool for force on force training, and other types of training. It is pretty valuable training IMHO that is very difficult for the average joe to safely do in another way.

Other people, inlcuding kids do it for fun as a hobby. Not a bad hobby, and I'm not sure why people here are so negative about it. I know a fair number of younger shooters who grew up playing air soft and when they were old enough bought real firearms.

For those who are so dismissive google Tatsuya Sakai. He won the 2004 US steel challenge over a field over very experienced shooters. Why do I mention him? He had never fired a center fire pistol until just prior to the contest and learned to shoot in Japan with airsoft guns. He may be a typical but I am guessing there are a number of airsoft shooters that could run circles around some of the people who are dismissive of them.

The Undertaker
January 8, 2011, 08:41 AM
There are a lot of current or former MIL/LE guys who use airsoft as a training tool for force-on-force practice.

Others (like myself) built their airsoft rifles to mirror their real-steel weapons. My airsoft M4 handles practically the same as my real-steel AR-15 (construction, weight, configuration).

Airsoft itself is a fun game, if played in the right places with the right people.

However, never forget the fact that it is no substitute for real training with live ammo. Too many people make that mistake.

Airsoft is a fun supplement to shooting, not a replacement.

smince
January 8, 2011, 09:28 AM
There are a lot of current or former MIL/LE guys who use airsoft as a training tool for force-on-force practice. I'm one who uses it as a training tool, but as a civilian CCW holder.

AirSoft/FoF allows you to use/see if the techniques you have trained on the square range will actually work on the street against another person. My gas blow-back Glock 19 fits my normal carry gear, so no disparity in training with it.

It also allows practice drawing/firing/moving off line that many live fire ranges do not allow.

All from the comfort of your backyard or garage.

Suarez International uses AirSoft quite often as a training tool.

68wj
January 8, 2011, 09:53 AM
http://waridiot.com/
I think the website name says it all. :o It makes it very hard to buy optics anymore too. The replicas are very realistic looking.

badbadtz560
January 8, 2011, 10:32 AM
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:SiqUeN8IfSp9cM:http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b150/rinselman/funnies/InternetCommando.jpg&t=1

found this on google

rbernie
January 8, 2011, 10:46 AM
And, on that note, we'll consider this one asked and answered...

If you enjoyed reading about "What the heck is airsoft?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!