Ruger m77 Tang Safety

PDA

Montbars
January 8, 2011, 03:35 PM
Does anyone know what type of recoil pad this accepts? I want to replace the old one with something more absorbent but I'm not sure what size it is. Also any suggestions on recoil pads would be appreciated

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger m77 Tang Safety" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
juk
January 8, 2011, 06:04 PM
I've got a limbsaver on my tang safety M77. It was the one that was ready to screw on...no grinding or fitting required. I know you can find them on popular gun accessory websites for a specific application. I bought mine from Midway years ago. It has been worth every penny. Huge improvement over the factory red pad.

Vern Humphrey
January 8, 2011, 06:27 PM
Go to the website for the recoil pad you want -- they'll tell you what rifle it fits.

Generally, recoil pads are made a bit oversize so they can be sanded or otherwise trimmed to fit -- the critical dimension is the spacing of the screw holes.

commygun
January 8, 2011, 07:42 PM
I also put a Limbsaver on my RSI Mk. I. Works great, looks good.

drivadesl
January 8, 2011, 09:24 PM
Not sure if I understand what the tang safety has to do with the recoil pad??

pikid89
January 8, 2011, 09:27 PM
Not sure if I understand what the tang safety has to do with the recoil pad??
the tang safety m77 is a generation of itself (commonly referred to as MKI but not an official title), distinct from the MKII and the newest generation the M77 Hawkeye

SwampWolf
January 9, 2011, 03:08 PM
We understand that the tang safety era rifle is different from later versions of the Ruger Model 77, but drivadesl's question ("Not sure if I understand what the tang safety has to do with the recoil pad??") remains unanswered.

Montbars
January 9, 2011, 06:43 PM
Because it is a different model, I was just making sure. Perhaps the MK 1 and the MK II have different recoil pads, or perhaps not. If anyone knows chime in

Offfhand
January 10, 2011, 03:03 PM
Mr. Montbars, your description of the "tang safety" M-77 is valid and made it perfectly clear which era rifle you were asking about, as that same terminology is commonly used to differentiate the two versions. Just as Pre-64 and Post-64 are applied when discussing M-70 Winchesters. And as you suspect, there may indeed be differences in stock dimensions of former and later M-77s. Anyone with even a working knowledge of firearms would have clearly understood your definition and purpose. Apparently some responders are less informed.

SwampWolf
January 10, 2011, 07:07 PM
And as you suspect, there may indeed be differences in stock dimensions of former and later M-77s. Anyone with even a working knowledge of firearms would have clearly understood your definition and purpose. Apparently some responders are less informed.

I've owned various Ruger Model 77s since the early seventies and have never noticed a difference in their butt stock dimensions. I just measured the butt dimensions on four of my Ruger Model 77s (two early tang safety models and two MKII models) and, as I suspected, they are exactly the same as far as I can determine. This isn't to say that there aren't differences in the size of the stock butts between some Model 77s and others and, if there is, I'd be interested in knowing.

Nobody asserted anything as being a fact in terms of the question of "what the tang safety has to do with the recoil pad"; just a question from two apparently "less informed" responders seeking clarification. Speaking for myself, I thought I might learn something from the discourse because, even if I do have a "working knowledge of firearms", I'd be the first to acknowledge that I'm a long way from knowing everything. Even experts are "less informed" about something.

RainDodger
January 10, 2011, 07:34 PM
Geeez. Just help the guy. He didn't know his stock was the same as any other Ruger stock, because he probably didn't have a second one to look at! These forums are supposed to be sort of fun, not a hassle to get a simple answer.

SwampWolf
January 10, 2011, 07:49 PM
Geeez. Just help the guy. He didn't know his stock was the same as any other Ruger stock, because he probably didn't have a second one to look at!

Because if the stock dimensions of the Rugers are, in fact different, how can you "help" the guy? The op acknowledged "I'm not sure what size it is." If we don't know the size, how do we recommend the right size? Maybe you can help the guy. Geeez! :rolleyes:

Vern Humphrey
January 10, 2011, 09:39 PM
Dumb question: if you're going to re-stock it, why not ask the stock manufacturer if you chosen stock will fit a shotgun safety M77?

SwampWolf
January 10, 2011, 10:24 PM
Not dumb-BRILLIANT!

oldpink
February 25, 2012, 08:37 PM
Hey guys, not to sound bossy since I'm just a new member here, but I found this thread precisely because I had the exact same questions.
See, the problem is that all the great new aftermarket recoil pads for the M77 are designated for the MKII version of the M77, with no mention of whether they might work with the tang safety version that immediately preceded it.
Not having a MKII to compare side by side with my own tang safety version, I see that I'm not the only person in this world who would just love to know if a MKII pad would fit his tang safety version.
The recoil pad on my own tang safety M77 .30-06 isn't even a recoil pad anyway, but more of a thin butt pad, making shooting more than just a few from the bench (bad) or prone (even worse) with full power loads punishing to say the least.
To make matters worse, the natural rubber in that 25-year-old pad has begun to harden with age, turning it into a butt plate, making the experience even more unpleasant.

As Offhand pointed out and was chastised for his style of so doing, there often are differences in not just the mechanics, but the stock profile from one generation of a given gun to the next.
The OP came here with his question in hopes of getting an answer about whether the butt end where the pad goes has changed in dimensions between the tang safety and the MKII versions, not get a question about "what does the tang safety have to do with the recoil pad.":banghead:
Well, the safety itself doesn't affect a thing, but if Ruger decided to revamp the contours of the butt end of the stock even slightly to go with that new three-position safety familiar to all owners of the MKII, it sure could make the difference between whether that cool new Limbsaver or KickEez pad fits or not.

As a matter of fact, if you look just a bit, you will see that the latest generation of the M77, the Hawkeye (the "MKIII," if you will) already has recoil pads listed specifically for it over the previous MKII version, and Ruger's own site even mentions that they did indeed recontour the stock on the "MKIII" Hawkeye.:scrutiny:
So, the question remains really quite simple: Will a pre-fit aftermarket recoil pad marked for the M77 MKII fit the tang safety ("MKI," if you will) version without a trip to the chop saw and disk sander?

See?

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger m77 Tang Safety" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!