FFL Transfer Charges

PDA

Mozart 2
January 8, 2011, 02:52 PM
What are you accustomed to paying for FFL transfer fees? I was under the impression that $25 was customary. I went to Gander Mountain the other day and they charge $85 for handgun transfers.

If you enjoyed reading about "FFL Transfer Charges" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
yeti
January 8, 2011, 02:56 PM
The FFL I use charges $15.

docnyt
January 8, 2011, 03:02 PM
Ouch. The guy I use charges $25 but can ask $35 if he needs to fax or send to an individual. Another charges $50.

If I pay $85 I expect a full body massage and maybe more. :)

heeler
January 8, 2011, 03:06 PM
I have paid as much as $25 at a local pawn shop and $20 at a small gun shop.
Since last year another small gun shop I started using only charges $15 because he gives a discount to Texas CHL holders.
$85 is so over the top I cant even begin to voice my disdain for such a practice.

LawScholar
January 8, 2011, 03:09 PM
$20, $25, and $35 at three gun shops my family has used.

$85 is insanity.

3daman!
January 8, 2011, 03:15 PM
20 bucks for the transfer and 10 bucks to the great state of Tenn, I'm good with it:neener:

Sam1911
January 8, 2011, 03:18 PM
A lot of smaller shops and local gun shops will charge at the bottom end of the scale -- especially in "gun friendly" areas. ($10 - $35)

The larger places and chain stores often have no real interest in providing this service, and tend to encourage you to buy their stock instead by making it financially unreasonable to do a transfer.

Also at the high end of the scale are often those shops in "gun UN-friendly" areas where shops (i.e.: competition) are few and far between and there is a lot of red tape/hassle to make a sale or transfer. In MD I was quoted everywhere from $75 to about $35 to transfer a "restricted" firearm -- in that case an AK receiver. I've heard of transfer prices around $150 in places like NY.

In any "normal" state, I'd think that $85 is an "I-don't-want-to" price.

mbopp
January 8, 2011, 03:24 PM
"Gander Mountain" says it all.
Most FFL's around here charge $25-$35.
One LGS beat Ganders price on a Ruger GP-100 by $75.

sansone
January 8, 2011, 03:24 PM
I charge $20 but average in this county is $25.. Many of the dealers refuse transfers if the gun is new and easily obtainable

mcdonl
January 8, 2011, 03:53 PM
My guy charges $15

Mozart 2
January 8, 2011, 03:56 PM
Thanks guys for all the feedback. I thought Gander Mountain was way out of line. It is for this reason that I refuse to give them my money...for anything.

On a similar note, when I challenged the amount as being out of line, the guy told me "Yeah, but for that amount the shipment is insured." I told him insurance is paid by ME through the shipper and has nothing to do with the transfer fee. He didn't have an answer (or much of a clue for that matter). Is there any relevance to his claim of "insurance"...?

chris in va
January 8, 2011, 03:56 PM
I try to shop around first. The LGS wants $50, but another FFL about 30 minutes away charges $20, so well worth the trip.

737Driver
January 8, 2011, 04:38 PM
$25 for long guns and $13 more to the state for handguns

txgunsuscg
January 8, 2011, 05:17 PM
$25 to $35, plus $2 to the state.

Did have one shop tell me they could transfer me a gun for "the lowest fee in town, $45"......

griff383
January 8, 2011, 05:19 PM
Before I became very good friends with an FFL transfers used to cost $10-$15 depending on who I went to

Bubbles
January 8, 2011, 05:38 PM
We charge $5 for a Title I firearm transfer and $25 for a Title II firearm transfer.

The insurance claim is bogus. That is paid by the shipper and charged to the purchaser. The transfer FFL has nothing to do with it.

evan price
January 8, 2011, 05:44 PM
Shops around me are around $30 for transfers.

There are some shops however who charge more. One shop looks at the gun being transferred in, and if it is a new gun they could order from their distributor, they charge the markup/profit they would make on the gun if they ordered it.

So let's say you bought a new pistol from Bud's. You're paying $340 including shipping. High Price Transfer Store looks at the same pistol. They pay $249 to their distributor and price the same pistol for $409 on their shelf. You would be charged a $160 transfer fee.
So in the end you would pay MORE than if you bought it off their shelf to begin with; and that's why they do it- they want to move inventory.

wishin
January 8, 2011, 05:44 PM
My local gun store charged $25 the last time about 6-8 months ago.

dirtyjim
January 8, 2011, 06:51 PM
i now use a pawnshop in pearland texas that charges $20.
i used to use the arms room in league city, tx that started out charging $20, then bumped it up to $35. they were a small friendly shop & the rifles i had sent to them are oddball stuff that they don't have and cant get so didn't mind dropping the $35 & id usually buy some ammo to while i was there.
they recently moved to a much larger building and hired a bunch of new people so its not the same small shop atmosphere that it once was. about a month ago i had a rem799 sent to them and while i was picking it up i noticed that come january first their transfer prices will jump to $65. i paid my $35 and left a real nice pre-64 win70 sitting in the used gun rack that i was going to buy before i noticed they were going to screw anyone who wanted to do a transfer come january.
i think they would be better of not doing them instead of flat out ripping people off.
they were my favorite gunshop for several years but now i have no reason to set foot in there ever again.

Bubba613
January 8, 2011, 07:13 PM
Oh good gravy. Not yet another thread on this topic. How many does this make in the last 6 months?

Sam1911
January 8, 2011, 07:26 PM
Not yet another thread on this topic.

Yeah. That happens a lot, doesn't it? But like we always say -- nothing says you have to read it or post in it.

'Course, if you want to post your transfer prices and explain how you decide where to set them, that's always welcome.

walker944
January 8, 2011, 07:36 PM
My local FFL charges $15. One time I was receiving 3 handguns all shipped together. He only charged $15 for the 3. Very cool guy...gets plenty of my business! :)

jlmdlm
January 8, 2011, 07:39 PM
I charge $15 for first time customers, and $10 for returning customers. $85 seems outrageous to me, but I guess it could depend on what state it is.

Mozart 2
January 8, 2011, 07:46 PM
...they charge the markup/profit they would make on the gun if they ordered it...You would be charged a $160 transfer fee.

I don't have a problem with a shop charging a legitimate fee for an honest service, but charging a $160 for a $30 service just to screw you for a profit is disgusting. I refuse to give my patronage to any shop with this type of business practice. From now on the first question I will ask any shop prior to ANY purchase will be "what is your FFL transfer fee?"

It's bad enough that we have to ask the government's permission to exercise our rights, but to be held up by the gun shop is simply:evil:

JohnBT
January 8, 2011, 08:00 PM
Does everybody expect to pay the same price for a haircut? Why not, it takes the same amount of time no matter who does it, just like a gun transfer. Right? ;)

Bubba613
January 8, 2011, 08:08 PM
So let's say you bought a new pistol from Bud's. You're paying $340 including shipping. High Price Transfer Store looks at the same pistol. They pay $249 to their distributor and price the same pistol for $409 on their shelf. You would be charged a $160 transfer fee.
If there is a shop out there that charges $409 on a gun they paid $249 on and can stay in business I want to shake their hand. That's over 39% mark up on a new gun. This is unheard of in the industry outside of Philadelphia pawn shops.
More likely they are charging $349 on the same gun they paid 299 for.

I don't have a problem with a shop charging a legitimate fee for an honest service, but charging a $160 for a $30 service just to screw you for a profit is disgusting.
Why do you think it is a $30 service? I'd love to know what other people do so I can dictate how much they ought to get paid as well. If you don't want to pay that much, well you know the answer.

'Course, if you want to post your transfer prices and explain how you decide where to set them, that's always welcome.
I charge basically $40 because anything less isn't worth it to me. I used to charge $20 and did lots of transfer business. Then I noticed something: people who come based on my being the lowest price won't buy anything else because they can get it cheaper at WalMart. They need to do their transfers at WalMart in that case.
Of course for some customers I'll do $20, sometimes I've done it for free.

emerson
January 8, 2011, 08:12 PM
$50 is what everyone seems to charge around here.

Warners
January 8, 2011, 08:14 PM
My guy charges $15 and is completely by the book and very professional. He also has shipped 2 guns for me that I sold....for NO additional charge (I paid the shipping charges of course). This gives me a little additional security as he is REQUIRED by law to make sure the guns are shipping to a verified FFL. Besides that, he gets a reduced shipping rate and as an FFL has more shipping options that non-FFL's don't have. Works for me and he's been great. For reference, I am in the suburban Chicago area.

Warner

Mozart 2
January 8, 2011, 08:38 PM
...Why do you think it is a $30 service?...

Because that's what the original post stated. I was quoting the post that claimed the shop normally charges $30...that's why I called it a $30 service.

Liberty1776
January 8, 2011, 08:53 PM
Mozart 2 -

check on Auction Arms - they have a list of local FFL holders based on your zip. I'm on the east side of the TC, and there's three listed, running from $10 - $25.

p.s. Gander Mt sucks. just my opinion...

Mozart 2
January 8, 2011, 08:59 PM
...check on Auction Arms...

Thanks Liberty1776!

I just searched there and found 3 within 30 minutes of me...all 3 charge $20.

I appreciate the help.

skipjack
January 8, 2011, 09:01 PM
I charge $50. It is not worth it for me to charge less.

Fees vary widely between different areas of the country. What
may seem like a lot to one person will seem cheap to someone else.

evan price
January 8, 2011, 09:08 PM
@Bubba613: I pulled those numbers out of my rump for a purpose of example. I have no idea what sort of profit margin they use; all I know is what I was told- their transfer fee equals the markup from their distributor price to their shelf retail.

Bubba613
January 8, 2011, 09:09 PM
Bingo. I didn't get into this business to become a shipping clerk.

Bubba613
January 8, 2011, 09:11 PM
@Bubba613: I pulled those numbers out of my rump for a purpose of example. I have no idea what sort of profit margin they use; all I know is what I was told- their transfer fee equals the markup from their distributor price to their shelf retail.
No joke you did that.
People somehow have the idea new guns have margins like diamonds or women's clothing. They don't. They have margins like flour or gasoline.
As to the store's practice, it makes sense to me. If someone doesn't want to pay that they can go elsewhere and the shop won't do many transfers. Maybe that's what they want.

Sam1911
January 8, 2011, 09:13 PM

And this is probably a very conclusive statement on the whole matter. If a shop finds that they do a lot of business on low-cost $15-20 transfers, and a large number of customers want to pay them for that service (and buy other items while there -- including other guns they saw on display while in the shop for their transfer), and that the time spent provides a decent cash flow, then they'll usually continue to do them.

If they find that they are spending a lot of time on these transfers and the customers requesting them really don't ever spend another dime with them -- and the high-volume, low-cost revenue stream isn't helping make the ends meet -- then they'll probably push the price up until they feel they're getting a better return on the time spent, or stop having to take the time...

Some (usually smaller) companies seem to make up a significant part of their income from transfers -- the more the merrier. Some seem to find that providing that service doesn't reap them any benefit.

If you refuse to patronize a shop that puts their transfer fees up over $30, that affects them (and you) in some way. If you agree to pay a dealer $50+ for a transfer, that influences their decisions as well.

At some point there is a balance found and everyone is as happy as they're going to get. ;)

bayhawk2
January 8, 2011, 09:13 PM
Repeat thread or not,I learned something.Thanks guys for the info on
transfer fees.I've been in the market for certain guns that I can't
find locally.A lot of times I see the guns a lot cheaper off the internet.
From your post ,if I shop around,$25 is the going price with anything
over $35 to be a bit on the high side.
Also,I can certainly see an excessive transfer fee would come into
play on me doing business with them.If they charge those kind of fees,
then it tells you right up front what kind of deal you are going to get
on their other products.

Mozart 2
January 8, 2011, 09:24 PM
Sam1911,
Well put in post #36. I agree with every word. Good old capitalism...you gotta love it.
Thanks to Liberty1776's suggestion I found a small shop (right in my town, less than 15 minutes from me) that offers a low-cost transfer service as, well, just that, a service (i.e. customer service). It says in their ad, "We spend our time helping our customers getting the best service and price on their firearm investments." They just won hundreds of dollars (perhaps thousands, over time) of my business...

Guns and more
January 8, 2011, 09:33 PM
I pay $30.
I probably could get it cheaper, but I like the folks at this gun store.

A store I went to ONCE told me, "If you don't buy the gun from me, the transfer is $100."
Needless to say, I respect his right to charge whatever he wants, and I hope he respects my right to never go back.

kitsune
January 8, 2011, 09:47 PM
$20, but that's always transfers for weird oddball stuff...

I'd never waste my guys time on a brand-new Glock or something. Then I'd expect to pay $100 :)

orionengnr
January 8, 2011, 09:53 PM
See post #30. GunBroker is performing a valuable service here.

My local (walking distance) dealer charges $20 for a transfer, and charges a reasonable mark-up on new guns. They get plenty of business, including all of mine (both transfer of used guns and orders on new ones).

Does everybody expect to pay the same price for a haircut?Not really sure how this is relevant. A haircut can be good or bad, depending on who does it. An FFL transfer is essentially a commodity, and is the same regardless of who does it. Therefore, price is a far more significant component...that said, I choose to support my LGS, although I could get the same "service" for $5 less down the road.

If my LGS suddenly decided that they wanted $50 vice the current $20 (or the $15 available up the road) I would conclude that my LGS did not really value my business, and I would take my business elsewhere.

oneounceload
January 8, 2011, 09:55 PM
It is called CAPITALISM...........some folks need to review Econ 101.....prices for goods and services are set by market demands against market supply.

Some states, especially those with restrictive laws, require FFLS to do more paperwork and have stricter controls than other areas - coupled with the fact that there are usually fewer shops, means prices will be higher than another state where there are a proliferation of gun shops............doesn't mean they are a rip-off, just means that their pricing reflects the reality of their location - so stop bashing folks who charge more than they do in your neck of the woods

PapaG
January 8, 2011, 09:56 PM
We charge $35 per gun....but if a person is a regular and gets a bunch from an auction we cut a little deal. It isn't always the same amount of time involved but it is close. The dealer is responsible for the recordkeeping, the 4473, the delivery, and often, the storage until the "buyer" finds time to come in and pick up the gun. Also, the dealer has to contend with the person who has no better things to do than follow the tracking numbers and call repeatedly to see if his gun has come in.

Another dealer asked me the other day if we were going to raise our fees. I said, "no, not right now". He said, "I charge $50." If you go to fifty, I'm going to $75. I don't want them."

Often, people buy guns on the internet, pay the shipping, our fee and could have bought it in the shop for less. I think $35 is small potatoes for the aggravation and loss of true business.

boatingboy
January 8, 2011, 09:57 PM
Here in Puerto Rico every FFL charges $125 for sending or receiving a gun.

Airburst
January 8, 2011, 10:06 PM
$10 if you have a CCW permit, $20 if you don't. I'm in Tucson.

Sport45
January 8, 2011, 10:07 PM
A lot of you guys need to add a location to your profile. It's pretty meaningless to say, "it costs $XX aroound here" if the rest of us don't have any idea where "here" is. ;)

I'm sure this has been mentioned before, Gunbroker has a search engine that helps you find a transfer dealer in your area. (http://www.gunbroker.com/FFL/DealerNetwork.aspx) You can type in your zip code and find dealers and most list prices. In the Houston area it looks like $15 to $50 with $35 being typical.

Bubba613
January 8, 2011, 10:15 PM
An FFL transfer is essentially a commodity, and is the same regardless of who does it.
Well, no it really isn't.
Is it worth it to drive 45 minutes so you can save $10? I dunno. For some people it is, for some it isn't. How about an extra $10 so you go to the shop that has cheap bulk ammo as well you can pick up while there? How much is it worth to avoid a bad attitude, or inept service ("gee, I guess your gun has been sitting there for a while.")?
Poorly educated consumers are the bane of any business.

dirtyjim
January 8, 2011, 10:20 PM
i personally think any shop that charges $50 or more for a transfer shouldn't be doing transfers in the first place.
if you don't want to do them just flat out don't do them instead of ripping people off.

oneounceload
January 8, 2011, 10:39 PM
if you don't want to do them just flat out don't do them instead of ripping people off.

and yet ANOTHER uneducated person regarding the economics of the situation - if YOU, as a WILLING participant pay the fee, you are not ripped off

Hey mods - can we get an econ 101 lesson as a sticky here? - this explaining it over and over gets old

While Al Gore's internet is a great way to discover things, something folks need to realize - what it costs in YOUR area is not the same as what it costs in MY area......doesn't mean anyone got ripped off.......it means that two parties got together, agreed upon a certain price for a certain service - there is no "ripping off"............

Sam1911
January 9, 2011, 01:33 AM
Hey mods - can we get an econ 101 lesson as a sticky here? - this explaining it over and over gets old

Post 36. What more do you want? ;)

Davek1977
January 9, 2011, 03:19 AM
Is there any relevance to his claim of "insurance"...? None worth the additional $65 above what most poeple see as "average" that's for sure. I just had a rifle shipped to a local ffl from buds. Insurance cost was $1 for every $100 of gun value, for a total of 7 dollars on a $700 rifle.

Bubba613
January 9, 2011, 09:24 AM

While Al Gore's internet is a great way to discover things, something folks need to realize - what it costs in YOUR area is not the same as what it costs in MY area......doesn't mean anyone got ripped off.......it means that two parties got together, agreed upon a certain price for a certain service - there is no "ripping off".....
QFT. Some people just don't get it. Anything that is priced anywhere above the very lowest advertised price anywhere constitutes "ripping off" for some people.

dsb1829
January 9, 2011, 09:37 AM
My local N.AL FFLs are $25-45. In CA Bay Area, where I am from, they range anywhere from $65-100. Guess the extra CA paperwork is worth an arm and a leg.

skipjack
January 9, 2011, 09:39 AM
"i personally think any shop that charges $50 or more for a transfer shouldn't be doing transfers in the first place.
if you don't want to do them just flat out don't do them instead of ripping people off. "

It is called supply and demand. If you don't want to pay my fee, find
someone who will do it cheaper. If you agree that my fee is reasonable,
then it is just business.

I have had people question my fee...a local kitchen table guy charges
half of what I charge. Problem is, he is hard to get in touch with, and
one has to make an appointment to get their firearm.

My store is open 7 days a week.

Bear in mind that handgun transfers in Maryland means
two trips to the receiving dealer. The buyer has to
decide if saving $25 is worth the convenience of dealing with me.

Either way, no hard feelings on my part.

strmday
January 9, 2011, 10:24 AM
I just paid $35 last week in western Ohio for a transfer. Most I have ever paid. Used to be $15-20. This is a relatively small shop. They didn't stock the exact model I had tranferred but based on what they did stock for this manufacturers, I would have paid about $120 more plus $35 in state tax.
I, like many others here, would rather buy directly from the local shop but not at a 20%-25% premium.

dirtyjim
January 9, 2011, 10:49 AM
and yet ANOTHER uneducated person regarding the economics of the situation - if YOU, as a WILLING participant pay the fee, you are not ripped off

i would not be a willing participant so i would not be the one getting ripped off, and regardless of what you claim it is a rip off and only an uneducated person would claim otherwise.

It is called supply and demand. If you don't want to pay my fee, find
someone who will do it cheaper. If you agree that my fee is reasonable,
then it is just business.

there is a difference between being reasonable and charging an outrageous fee for something that you don't want to do in the first place.

if the vast majority of transfers were reasonable we wouldn't be having this conversation right now.

it seems that in the last two years everyone but the tabletop ffl's and pawnshops have doubled their fees. i'm also seriously considering upgrading my c&r to a 01ffl & doing free transfers just to annoy the rip-off artists in the area

Bubba613
January 9, 2011, 11:17 AM
What is "reasonable"? Is it based on the lowest price published anywhere in the U.S? Who are you to decide?
I have talked to all kinds of tradespeople who tell me they've shot customers high prices because they didnt really want the work. Sometimes they get the job anyway. Is the customer "ripped off" in that situation? Or is the customer getting the best deal for him?
And there is no "upgrading" a Class03 C&R to an 01 Dealer. They are completely different with completely different purposes. You want to engage in the firearms business, go in peace.

Acera
January 9, 2011, 01:21 PM
Regarding this subject I did a poll year before last on it.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=485448&highlight=FFL

Over 80% of respondents said they paid $30 or less.

Do you guys think the prices have basically stayed the same or moved from then? I would think that the prices have fallen from my experience.

The last set of guns I have transferred went through a store front, on a major Interstate, with regular business hours for $20. The last time they did two for $20 total! Good folks in you need that service in The Woodlands, TX from Operators Edge.

Mozart 2
January 9, 2011, 01:33 PM
[QUOTE=oneounceload;6988530]and yet ANOTHER uneducated person...QUOTE]

Guys c'mon...

I thought we were all on the same team here. If we start tearing each other down, then the anti-gun Nazis have already won. "Divide-and-conquer" really does work, let us not do the dividing for them!

I started this thread in an attempt to discern, as a new handgun buyer, what's the "going rate" for FFL transfers so I know what to expect...so I can be an INFORMED consumer. After all, that's how capitalism works best.

As one poster put it, "go in peace."

oneounceload
January 9, 2011, 03:16 PM
I started this thread in an attempt to discern, as a new handgun buyer, what's the "going rate" for FFL transfers so I know what to expect...so I can be an INFORMED consumer. After all, that's how capitalism works best.

Again, what is a common amount in MY area might not even be close to what they are in YOUR area - that does not mean one person is getting "ripped off" - it means that free market economics are working in your area.

And t all those who think it is so easy and there's a fortune to be made - get your FFL and do $10 transfers and make a fortune................funny how those who complain the most are the ones who wouldn't consider doing just this

skipjack
January 9, 2011, 04:27 PM
I would invite anyone who thinks that I should be delighted
to do transfers to start their own business, and do transfers
for less.

You will need to get a good safe, an alarm system and
insurance for liability and for the guns while in your possession.
Of course, be ready for ATF and state audits, and the
call from the ATF tracking center, if one of your transfers
ends up being used in a crime or lost. They are famous
for needing forms faxed at least three times.

You will also be able to be entertained by the endless calls
asking if the gun arrived. Never mind that one can find that
out with a tracking number from the shipper.

Once the gun arrives you get to listen how it is either
the wrong gun, or how much you must be crazy to try
and sell the same thing for a higher price.

Lastly, don't worry about stocking anything in your store.
They won't buy it from you...it is cheaper on the internet!:)

Mozart 2
January 9, 2011, 04:44 PM
I find it interesting that when customers complain about high prices, the merchants are quick to claim "free market." Yet, when the customer goes to the internet for lower prices, the merchants start complaining about lost sales...

Capitalism is a 2-way street...

Bubba613
January 9, 2011, 05:05 PM
Please feel free to post a link where any merchant here complained about lost sales due to competition from the internet.

Hanzo581
January 9, 2011, 05:14 PM
$30 at the shop I go to. There are a few places where I can get it a little cheaper but the people at this shop are much more friendly so they get my money.

oneounceload
January 9, 2011, 05:24 PM
And when you have to go through an FFL to get ammo shipped you bought from the internet, the howling will really start..........think something like CA in February...........

suzukisam
January 9, 2011, 05:41 PM
here in kansas city there are many free options for ffl transfers.. not just from buddies, or for large purchases.. many shops just choose to do them for free! I have never paid for a transfer. I have sold guns where people insisted on going to their buddy, or a big name store, and they asked me to split the transfer on the sale. I refuse. I don't see paying anything when there are free options. and it's not like your buying a cheese burger where some taste better. a 4473 is a 4473.

Mozart 2
January 9, 2011, 05:44 PM
Please feel free to post a link where any merchant here complained about lost sales due to competition from the internet.

...please see post #61 in this thread...

Hanzo581
January 9, 2011, 05:48 PM
many shops just choose to do them for free! I have never paid for a transfer.

I am not saying you are lying, but what possible reason would a gun shop do a transfer for me for free?

suzukisam
January 9, 2011, 05:54 PM
I guess they want to attract business.. I have no reason to lie.. and I honestly would rather not just post names up here.. however if someone is here in kc, I would be more than happy steer them toward a local shop.. actually now that I think of it one shop (not the one I use) asks for donations to local charity in exchange for transfers

skipjack
January 9, 2011, 06:03 PM
Mozart,

I would hardly call post 61, by me, as complaining about lost
sales...more an answer to folks who complain about the way
dealers are "ripping people off".

RhinoDefense
January 9, 2011, 06:27 PM
Customers complain about a $40 transfer but have no problem buying a gun from a dealer that makes $150+ gross profit from the sale.

oneounceload
January 9, 2011, 06:32 PM
Customers complain about a $40 transfer but have no problem buying a gun from a dealer that makes $150+ gross profit from the sale.

What guns are there, under 1K, that have that markup?

RhinoDefense
January 9, 2011, 06:59 PM
Under $1,000 I'm not sure. I don't deal with the low budget guns.

Mozart 2
January 9, 2011, 07:33 PM
...I would hardly call post 61, by me, as complaining...

The overall tone of the post sounded to me like complaining...sorry, my bad.

Bubba613
January 9, 2011, 08:56 PM
The overall tone of the post sounded to me like complaining...sorry, my bad.
Snipping someone's post to imply something he didnt say is bad manners.
His post was not complaining about online dealers taking customers. His post was about customer attitudes.
Quit while you're behind.

Bubba613
January 9, 2011, 08:57 PM
So you're saying that a maximum 15% markup on a retail item is something to complain about?

Sebastian the Ibis
January 9, 2011, 10:14 PM
I doubt the LGS makes much $ off of the members here. Most of the members here, and especially the ones who moan about a $45 transfer know the cheapest price online for everything.

Your LGS pays its rent on the newb who buys the $1200.00 WASR and spam can of ammo special.

oneounceload
January 9, 2011, 10:17 PM

Neither do I, so why don't you state your objective or price point?

Most gun dealers have a 15-20% max markup - luxury cars have more - but then there's that nasty thing called overhead and carrying costs- the FFL has to cover those costs

Art Eatman
January 9, 2011, 10:29 PM
Sheesh! Enough of this!

Sam1911
January 9, 2011, 10:31 PM
Once again it appears that both sides of the debate (and those in the middle, too) have had their say. Obviously the discussion frays some nerves and strains civility. Let's call it asked and answered.

RhinoDefense
January 9, 2011, 11:47 PM
Neither do I, so why don't you state your objective or price point?
I manufacture quality products and price accordingly. I don't focus on volume, I focus on quality.

Most gun dealers have a 15-20% max markup - luxury cars have more - but then there's that nasty thing called overhead and carrying costs- the FFL has to cover those costs
My markup is a lot more than 20%.

Laf'n'Larry
January 9, 2011, 11:51 PM
Shop around, $85 doesn't seem reasonable. My nearest LGS charges $35, but there are others in this area (pawn shops) that advertise as low as $25. Surely, there is someone in your area that with compete with Gander Mtn.

Matt G
January 9, 2011, 11:55 PM
My last transfer was $20, I think.

I'm with Sam, let's call this one Asked And Answered.

Closed.

If you enjoyed reading about "FFL Transfer Charges" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!