Opinions on Howa M1500 trigger system ?

PDA

nathan
January 8, 2011, 04:39 PM
Do you think it s better designed and safer compared to Remington 700 s that had a history of lawsuits?

2007 we saw Remington came up with the x mark trigger , they advertised it as eliminating creep (gimmick for short ). But most know its their answer to past complaints and lawsuits. Give it a new name and it be business from then on.

If you enjoyed reading about "Opinions on Howa M1500 trigger system ?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Nico Testosteros
January 8, 2011, 04:54 PM
Clearly the old 700 trigger design was badly designed. My x mark trigger is pretty good though. Breaks really cleanly, smooth travel. Pull is heavier than I'd like but when I'm on my game I get good groups.
I've never shot the Japanese rifle so I can't give you my experience with it.

GURU1911
January 9, 2011, 08:35 AM
Question: Does the trigger on your howa 1500 need cleaning ?? Does it need to be adjusted ??? If it does, i can email the instructions to you. They are 2-way adjustable where as the rem 700 trigger is 3-way adjustable.

Btw: I shoot remington rifles from the early 1950's & 1970's & have experienced zero safety malfunctions related to the trigger group.

If i can be of assistance, please contact me on the private message feature of this forum.

JDMorris
January 9, 2011, 10:18 AM
I shoot my Howa M-1500 .308 almost every weekend, It is definitely safe, I have tested the flick test, the buttplate on carpet test, you name it.
Safe, and Howa actually made the Weatherby Vanguard barreled action, and it's the same action as the 1500..
The design supposedly took the best of the Reminton 700, and Winchester M70, and made the Howa 1500.

Jim Watson
January 9, 2011, 11:29 AM
I don't see a Remington-Winchester connection.

Howa got their start in the US market with the Dickson Golden Bear which was a direct copy of the Sako L61 Finnbear. Reportedly Sako got that shut down on the grounds that they had only licensed Howa to use specific design details, not to crank out complete clones.

The later Howas were very similar to older Sakos of the L579/Forrester series. Maybe they struck a new deal with Sako, maybe they made some changes to work around design details, maybe they just waited until the patent ran out.
They still look much the same to me, even though Sako has moved on to newer models.

Z71
January 10, 2011, 10:49 PM
I just bought a S&W 1500 yesterday....the serial number is right in the middle of the recall on the Howa bolts..:uhoh:

A well used rifle I bought cheap..I pulled it from the stock and inspected it all reall close..:scrutiny:

All looks fine..I tried the safty mechanism..push off test on the striker..everything short of busting the buttplate on the floor to trip off the rifle..seems safe enough.

The Howa/S&W/Weatherby bolt issue seems to be an issue with taking the bolt apart..and reassembling it wrong from the online info I've gleaned.

No mentions of trigger/saftey issues in all the online searching I've done.

I've owned a Remington 700 for years...known about the safety issue for years too. The majority of the problems stemmed from tampered with triggers..as in adjusted to an extremely light let-off..and dirty/rusty triggers..then you have the failure to observe basic gun saftey rules..like keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction...:eek:

Remingtons initial 'fix' to the trigger issues was to change it where it didn't lock the bolt on safe..so you could unload the rifle without taking the gun off safe to open the bolt

The Howa trigger on my new S&W 1500 is a bit creepy..but breaks clean enough. Still has the paint dabs indicating nobody has messed with it. Safty works well..detents well..doesn't lock the bolt on safe like the older Remington triggers...have been in production for years and years with no history of issues..I imagine they're fine.

blacktailhunter
January 11, 2011, 12:02 AM
The howa is one of the best out there .Iwould feel very good with a 1500. I shoot a howa 22.250 it is a great gun.

If you enjoyed reading about "Opinions on Howa M1500 trigger system ?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!