10 Round Mag is it good enough

PDA

GambJoe
January 8, 2011, 05:49 PM
I own a Beretta a 96 (40 s&w) that came with ten round magazines. I've seen 15rd mags available for it, but are hi cap-mags needed for self defence.

I practice enough to consider myself competent but have no experiece's other than paper.

Any input?

If you enjoyed reading about "10 Round Mag is it good enough" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Vern Humphrey
January 8, 2011, 05:52 PM
Why not have the extra magazine capacity?

As Jeff Cooper used to say, "There is such a thing as enough ammunition, and there is such thing as not enough ammunition. There is no such think as too much ammunition."

GambJoe
January 8, 2011, 06:06 PM
Once again hi-capacity, because of recent events, is becoming a dirty word in the media.

Elmer
January 8, 2011, 06:12 PM
Once again hi-capacity, because of recent events, is becoming a dirty word in the media.

Yeah....given what it looks like was used today, expect that one to rear it's ugly head again.....

Drail
January 8, 2011, 06:24 PM
10 rounds are enough. You will rarely need more than 2 or 3. If you can't solve the problem with 10 rounds you need instruction and practice. Magazine springs also last longer in lower capacity mags.

PabloJ
January 8, 2011, 08:15 PM
I own a Beretta a 96 (40 s&w) that came with ten round magazines. I've seen 15rd mags available for it, but are hi cap-mags needed for self defence.

I practice enough to consider myself competent but have no experiece's other than paper.

Any input?
I hope so the magazines for my self-loader hold seven cartridges each.

David E
January 8, 2011, 09:10 PM
I own a Beretta a 96 (40 s&w) that came with ten round magazines. I've seen 15rd mags available for it,

Sorry, no. The 15 rd mags are for the Beretta 92 in 9mm, not .40. Your FULL capacity mags hold 11.

but are hi cap-mags needed for self defence?

Quite possibly! You don't get to choose the number of badguys who may well be hopped up on drugs, time of day, distance, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc. None of which lend themselves to least rounds fired.

Hell, EVERYONE is "competent" online! I would suggest finding an IPSC or IDPA match near you and shoot your carry gear and see how you do. Unless you win it the first time out and didn't learn anything new, then yes, you're probably very competent.

10 rounds are enough. You will rarely need more than 2 or 3. If you can't solve the problem with 10 rounds you need instruction and practice.

Says who? Some nut on the internet? As stated above, you have next to zero control over many of the critical factors.

It's one thing to accept fewer rounds because you choose to carry a smaller gun. It's another thing to accept fewer rounds because some bureaucrat control freak decided YOU didn't "need" more than 10. (perhaps even citing drails post....)

And they are not "high" capacity magazines, they are FULL capacity magazines. 10 rd mags are "restricted" capacity.

No4Mk1*
January 8, 2011, 10:19 PM
10 rounds is about 3 seconds worth of shooting. I prefer to have an extra second or 2 before my gun goes empty, but if you prefer your slide to lock back 3 seconds into a gunfight it is your preference.

Minnesota Wild
January 8, 2011, 10:23 PM
Why would you NOT want 5 extra rounds?

PT1911
January 8, 2011, 10:32 PM
well, since MOST altercations end with 3 rounds or less fired, i suppose you only need the 3:scrutiny:

jmr40
January 8, 2011, 10:34 PM
I've never seen a 40S&W Beretta factory mag that held over 11 rounds. They hold 15 rounds in 9mm and 11 in .40. The 10 round mags from the AWB era are generally a little cheaper. I wouldn't worry about it for 1 more round.

PT1911
January 8, 2011, 10:38 PM
10 rounds are enough. You will rarely need more than 2 or 3. If you can't solve the problem with 10 rounds you need instruction and practice. Magazine springs also last longer in lower capacity mags.

With the same amount of shooting, comparing a 10 round magazine with a 15 round magazine, i would have to disagree... you would be reloading the magazine 50% more often than with the higher capacity mag.

In 900 rnds, you would reload a 10 rounder 90 times vs 60 with a 15 rounder. Seeing as those springs are worn out by compressing and releasing, i am gonna call bs on your statement.

GambJoe
January 8, 2011, 11:23 PM
I've never seen a 40S&W Beretta factory mag that held over 11 rounds. They hold 15 rounds in 9mm and 11 in .40. The 10 round mags from the AWB era are generally a little cheaper. I wouldn't worry about it for 1 more round.

MecGar makes a 15 rnd mag. Read that Beretta get their mags from them.
Don't know ifits true.

Why would you NOT want 5 extra rounds?

15 might be to lethal for some. Read a comment today that gun owners should be allowed to have single shot fire arms because thats all they had back when they ratifed the 2nd amendment.

Personally I think I would feel safer with a higher capacity but I've been living with 10.

Quiet
January 8, 2011, 11:24 PM
The standard capacity for the .40S&W Beretta Model 96 is 11 rounds.
So, you are only losing one round by using the 10 round magazines.

brandon_mcg
January 8, 2011, 11:27 PM
my springer holds 6 in the mag and 1 in the chamber of .45 acp. i carry 1 extra mag on me and 1 in the vehicle.

personal preference. if you feel that you need an extra 5 rounds then go ahead and snatch em up. i would agree that you could never have too much ammunition on hand.

Hypnogator
January 9, 2011, 01:32 AM
While I wouldn't necessarily feel undergunned with a 10-rd magazine, I would want to get a magazine with the highest capacity possible that didn't extend the grip of the weapon for carry purposes. 99.99% of the time, you won't need the extra round(s), but if you do, they'll be priceless.

Alec
January 9, 2011, 01:35 AM
Amidst your indecision, spare a moment to think of those living in states where 10 rounds is all they get regardless ;)

CZ57
January 9, 2011, 01:58 AM
Two loaded magazines plus one in the chamber = 21 rounds of firepower. Will the 15 round Mec-Gars extend below the grip frame?;)

Elmer
January 9, 2011, 02:09 AM
well, since MOST altercations end with 3 rounds or less fired, i suppose you only need the 3:scrutiny:

Shhhh.....

Don't give California any more ideas.

David E
January 9, 2011, 03:40 AM
the "3 shots fired" stat is WRONG.

Why?

Because it includes things like: AD's, warning shots, suicides, animal put-downs, etc. None of which should apply to YOUR deadly force encounter.

jmr40
January 9, 2011, 06:52 AM
On Beretta's website www.berettausa.com they show 15 rounds as standard for 9mm and 12 rounds in 40. That is actually news to me. The one I had only held 11.

Everything being equal of course I'd rather have a few more rounds, but living through the AWB days taught me many lessons. At that time I sure wasn't going to pay $100 for an 11 shot mag when I could get 10 rounders for $20.

If I had plenty 10 round mags and didn't need new ones I'd live with 10. If I needed new ones and they were the same price I see no reason not to get the ones holding more rounds.

The Lone Haranguer
January 9, 2011, 08:23 AM
There is no such thing as too much ammunition, provided it doesn't make the gun unwieldy. However, in this case, even the standard/full/"high capacity" mags for this model only hold one more round. Still, for a gun you intend to carry and shoot a lot, you want more than just two magazines anyway ...

GambJoe
January 9, 2011, 02:58 PM
Two loaded magazines plus one in the chamber = 21 rounds of firepower. Will the 15 round Mec-Gars extend below the grip frame?

Yes, their website says they extend 3/4".

http://mec-gar.com/product.html

Drail
January 9, 2011, 03:39 PM
GambJoe, I am afraid you're not going to get an intelligent answer to your question from all of the "internet nuts" on this forum. PT1911, you are apparently of the opinion that magazine springs only fail or wear out from compression/relaxation cycles. There's a little more to it than it. DavidE - for all I know you may be an A class IPSC GrandMaster, but you post sounded like classic mall ninja nonsense to me. No offense.

TimM
January 9, 2011, 03:45 PM
This is laughable if not dangerous advice. If you can put 15 vs. ten rounds in the grip of your gun why not do it?

Caliper_RWVA
January 9, 2011, 03:52 PM
I am OK with fewer rounds to a point, but only if the gun has a smaller (more concealable) grip because of it. Having a full size grip with compact ammo capacity, ie: wasted space, is just silly.

Drail
January 9, 2011, 04:02 PM
TimM, because a magazine that acheives 15 round capacity by crushing the spring and follower into the bottom of the mag until the spring is now overcompressed and over loaded is not going to be as reliable as the same magazine with fewer rounds and not overcompressing the spring. Leaving the overcompressed spring and follower in the magazine with it fully loaded for long periods of time can lead to problems. Any magazine that is so hard to fully load that guys will buy and use a "mag loader" to get the last few rounds in is being overstressed. There is a reason that the original Browning 1911 design holds 7 rounds. Is it possible to get an 8th round into the mag? Sure. Think there was a reason Browning decided not to do that and leave some empty space in the mag. You betcha.

txgunsuscg
January 9, 2011, 04:09 PM
Yes, most people would like to think they will end a fight with 2 rounds per assailant, but realistically, when you're drawing your gun to defend yourself against an unknown number of attackers, why not have the extra rounds? I hear the MecGar mags (15 rounds with the adapter) are very reliable.

Honestly though, as a former police officer said to me, "Which gun (or magazine) is the best for self-defense? The one you have in your hand."

bds
January 9, 2011, 04:37 PM
Wow, this brings smile to my face as us Californians have dealt with this horrible/unfair issue.

For me, I use 10 round mags for my M&P45. For carry G27, 10 round (factory 9 +1 pearce grip extension) mags, but have "legal" 15 round high-cap pre-ban mags for G22 for HD.

What the 10 round mag ultimately resulted is that law abiding tax payers now use 3 10 round mags instead of 2 15 round mags while the criminals/gang bangers use whatever they can.

I believe the law abiding tax payers should have all the advantage we have access to for justified self-defense and hope this hi-cap ban gets reversed in the future (or I'll be leaving the state after retirement for more 2A friendly state). :D

No4Mk1*
January 10, 2011, 03:47 AM
In response to Drail;
Beretta and Glock 9mm mags that are restricted to 10 rounds accomplish the restriction by reducing the internal width of the column of shells, thus a 10 round mag will compress it's spring just as much as a 15 rounder. The only result for the spring will be more cycles per X quantity of ammo as they are fully cycled every 10 rounds.
I'm not sure about 40cal beretta mags, perhaps someone else knows how the restriction is accomplished.

merlinfire
January 10, 2011, 09:46 AM
You never know how much you'll need. More is better.

Just stay legal in your state. If someone is trying to kill you, and you are justified using lethal force under your state's law, it shouldn't matter how many you hold in your gun - if anything, it may matter how many you actually fire.

45bthompson
January 10, 2011, 10:05 AM
Chance says you will never pull on any one anyway, but if you do..... you sure wouldn't want to be black on ammo with a very pissed of assailant that still has five rounds left in his blaster would you?

easyg
January 10, 2011, 10:20 AM
I am OK with fewer rounds to a point, but only if the gun has a smaller (more concealable) grip because of it. Having a full size grip with compact ammo capacity, ie: wasted space, is just silly.
I agree.

The Beretta 96A1 is a mighty big pistol for just 10 rounds.

Heck, my sub-compact Glock 27 holds 9 rounds, and 10 rounds with a Pearce mag extender.

David E
January 13, 2011, 04:23 PM
David E - for all I know you may be an A class IPSC GrandMaster, but you post sounded like classic mall ninja nonsense to me. No offense.
Then read it again.

Or do you think you'll get to choose the time, place, distance, lighting conditions in addition to exactly how many rounds it'll take to hit/stop your badguy(s)?

My main point remains: if _I_ decide I only need or want 10 rds, that's one thing. It's quite another if some bedwetting politician decides FOR me.

The first is my option, the second is totally unacceptable.

Vern Humphrey
January 13, 2011, 04:32 PM
What the 10 round mag ultimately resulted is that law abiding tax payers now use 3 10 round mags instead of 2 15 round mags while the criminals/gang bangers use whatever they can.
I carry an M1911 with an 8-round magazine, plus one up the spout. With two 10-round mags on the belt, that's 29 rounds.

Or I could carry a Para-Ord P14, plus one up the spout and a spare mag for -- 29 rounds!!

Bubba613
January 13, 2011, 04:40 PM
Extra weight?
I dunno. If someone wants a 15rd, 20 rd, 30 rd magazine, why not? I often carry a 5-shot snub and really don't feel under-armed. Someone would have to show a bunch of examples where private citizens felt compelled to fire more than 10 rounds for me to believe in the utility of "hi cap" mags.

Bubba613
January 13, 2011, 04:43 PM
Or do you think you'll get to choose the time, place, distance, lighting conditions in addition to exactly how many rounds it'll take to hit/stop your badguy(s)?
Yes, people daily face multitudes of armed bad guys:rolleyes:

There is a lot of truth to the statement that if you need to reload (or need mroe than 10 rounds) you're either missing a lot or brought the wrong weapon. The 5-5-5 rule is a time-honored truth, mainly because it has been true.

David E
January 13, 2011, 05:01 PM
Yes, people daily face multitudes of armed bad guys:rolleyes:[\quote]

Oh so only cops need full cap mags?

I hope your crystal ball doesn't crack when you need it.....

[quote]There is a lot of truth to the statement that if you need to reload (or need mroe than 10 rounds) you're either missing a lot or brought the wrong weapon.

Says who? The guy that predicts how many rounds will suffice for any and all lethal encounters? If so, then why hasn't that same guy won the Powerball ten times in a row?

The 5-5-5 rule is a time-honored truth, mainly because it has been true.

People still cite the "3 shots fired" stat, too, even tho it's wrong.

Vern Humphrey
January 13, 2011, 05:19 PM
Yes, people daily face multitudes of armed bad guys
Yes, people daily have their houses burn down. (And there's truth to both statements -- which is why we have homeowner's insurance and carry guns.)
There is a lot of truth to the statement that if you need to reload (or need mroe than 10 rounds) you're either missing a lot or brought the wrong weapon. The 5-5-5 rule is a time-honored truth, mainly because it has been true.
There is a lot of truth to the statement that most rounds fired in actual gunfights miss, too.

As John Farnham said (in The Farnham Method of Defensive Handgunning) "The most common stoppage in the revolver . . . (and) in the autoloader is running out of ammunition."

Darthbauer
January 13, 2011, 05:22 PM
If we are talking about a handgun that normally comes with 15 round magazines then those are not "hi-caps" but are standard capacity magazines. The one's that stick way out the bottom of the frame are the hi-caps.

In this case with the 96 the standard mag holds 11 with one in the pipe which is where Beretta's website is getting their 12 from. With the high cost of factory Beretta mags do you really see 1 extra round as a significant enough reason to offset that cost?

David E
January 13, 2011, 05:28 PM
If your revolver holds 5 rds but you were federally mandated to only load 4, then it would be the same as requiring 10 rd mags for guns that were/are designed to hold more.

The gun is the same size, no matter how many rds are loaded, so why not go with the capacity it was designed for?

denfoote
January 13, 2011, 05:50 PM
Chance says you will never pull on any one anyway, but if you do..... you sure wouldn't want to be black on ammo with a very pissed of assailant that still has five rounds left in his blaster would you?

Chance just paid me a visit a few weeks ago. I had to draw (not fire) my weapon when a couple of gangpunks tried to rob me.

What was that weapon and how many rounds did I have on board, you ask???

Glock 26 10 in the butt, one in the pipe.

BTW, the punks ran off as soon as they saw the gun. ;)

JTH
January 13, 2011, 06:09 PM
No it's not if you need 11 rounds and that's your only magazine. That's why I'm looking for a high capacity 9mm or 45ACP. My Norinco Tokerev is a tough reliable pistol if you keep it clean and lubed but 8 rounds isn't enough. The mags are expensive, compared to Glocks. That's one reason a Glock is close to the top of my choice list. Lots of mags available at a fairly cheap price.
JT

HGUNHNTR
January 13, 2011, 06:29 PM

BS --If you can't solve the problem with 10 rounds you are going to need more rounds! It's tough for a dead guy to get more training and practice. What could it possibly hurt to have the option of pulling the trigger one more time? Its easy for keyboard commandos to puff out their chests and say what should happen most of the time, however, if you are ever involved in a potentially deadly confrontation, extra ammo just may save your life...no matter what your training. BTW Quoting cliche's does little to add to the value of content on these threads.

Ole Coot
January 13, 2011, 06:40 PM
The old 45 worked fine for me in combat but if I could have had a 20rd mag I would have bought my own. I don't carry a high cap 45 but carry a couple of spare mags. If you want to get a high cap mag I think it is up to the individual. I don't care for some stupid politician that doesn't know which end the slug comes out to be allowed to dictate the number of rounds a person wishes to carry. I did notice that the number of mags decreased or other items were dumped to make room for a few more. Individual choice, no argument either way.

W.E.G.
January 13, 2011, 06:59 PM
How many square feet in your house is good enough?

If you have too many, you are unjustifiably placing a burden on all of us.

You didn't do any harm, and you certainly didn't mean any harm, but we should be allowed to place whatever restrictions on you we might be able to justify by myopic logic.

You probably own too many pairs of shoes too.
...and we will need to check where they were made, or there will be a penalty.

KBintheSLC
January 13, 2011, 07:57 PM
Against one attacker with a small knife, 10 rounds might do. But what if you get attacked by 3 or 4 guys with guns? Is 10 rounds going to suffice? Who knows?

The real issue is that you might as well carry as much capacity as a given gun permits. I mean, a 10 round mag takes up as much space as a 15 round mag does. So, I have to ask, why would you not use the mag with more capacity?

If we are talking about a handgun that normally comes with 15 round magazines then those are not "hi-caps" but are standard capacity magazines.

DITTO... I get sick of hearing the words "hi-capacity magazine". A Glock 17 is designed to hold 17+1 rounds... the standard factory mags holding 17 rounds are "standard capacity". The 10 round mags are "restricted capacity" or better yet "neutered". Same goes for rifles. AK's and AR's are generally issued with 30 round mags... not 10 round "restricted capacity mags". IMO, the only "hi-cap mag" is the box of linked ammo on a SAW.

toocool
January 13, 2011, 08:36 PM
I don't think anyone ever came away from a gunfight saying, "Man, I wish I didn't have so much ammo in my gun...."

Fact is, you don't know ahead of time even IF you'll need a gun at all, and if you do, you don't know how many assailants you'll face or how many rounds it will take to put them out of the fight. If you DID know ahead of time you'd need the gun at all, I'd bet you'd decide to be somewhere else at that particular time...

THEN go buy your Power Ball ticket! :p

Bubba613
January 13, 2011, 08:42 PM
Yes, people daily have their houses burn down. (And there's truth to both statements -- which is why we have homeowner's insurance and carry guns.)
How often do people face multiple (3 or more) attackers vs how often do houses burn down.
I see why lotteries do well: create a low barrier to play and astronomical odds and they will come flocking. The gun business must have learned from lotteries.

DAdams
January 13, 2011, 09:17 PM
It may have to be.

EVIL
January 13, 2011, 09:49 PM
I agree.

The Beretta 96A1 is a mighty big pistol for just 10 rounds.

Heck, my sub-compact Glock 27 holds 9 rounds, and 10 rounds with a Pearce mag extender.
+1 The Berretta is a duty sized gun...so why not carry a standard capacity duty sized magazine?

The only reason I carry a 9+1 capacity weapon is because I like the concealability of the G27 short grip length ... if I were to carry a full sized G22 then obviously I would carry the full-sized magazines (I sometimes carry a spare G22 15 rd Magazine anyway...I won't care if it sticks out of the grip funny in a situation where I have to reload...)

DenaliPark
January 13, 2011, 09:55 PM
TimM, because a magazine that acheives 15 round capacity by crushing the spring and follower into the bottom of the mag until the spring is now overcompressed and over loaded is not going to be as reliable as the same magazine with fewer rounds and not overcompressing the spring. Leaving the overcompressed spring and follower in the magazine with it fully loaded for long periods of time can lead to problems. Any magazine that is so hard to fully load that guys will buy and use a "mag loader" to get the last few rounds in is being overstressed. There is a reason that the original Browning 1911 design holds 7 rounds. Is it possible to get an 8th round into the mag? Sure. Think there was a reason Browning decided not to do that and leave some empty space in the mag. You betcha.
Absolute nonsense...

DenaliPark
January 13, 2011, 10:06 PM
Extra weight?
I dunno. If someone wants a 15rd, 20 rd, 30 rd magazine, why not? I often carry a 5-shot snub and really don't feel under-armed. Someone would have to show a bunch of examples where private citizens felt compelled to fire more than 10 rounds for me to believe in the utility of "hi cap" mags.
I hear this all the time, and in all fairness I've also subscribed to this philosophy to some extent. However, consider yourself in the Safeway store, the center of last weeks massacre. You've just exited the store, you are immediately confronted by the gunfire of the madman, about 20-30 yards away, you visually identify him just as he bears down your way, firing indiscriminately from a Glock 19 9mm loaded with a 33 round extended magazine. You draw your 5 shot 1.7" barrel snub and do what exactly?

Bubba613
January 13, 2011, 10:09 PM
I hear this all the time, and in all fairness I've also subscribed to this philosophy to some extent. However, consider yourself in the Safeway store, the center of last weeks massacre. You've just exited the store, you are immediately confronted by the gunfire of the madman, about 20-30 yards away, you visually identify him just as he bears down your way, firing indiscriminately from a Glock 19 9mm loaded with a 33 round extended magazine. You draw your 5 shot 1.7" barrel snub and do what exactly?
Uh, run like heck back into the store and out the other side?

How often does this happen? Like once, ever? I am not interested in preparing for last week's news event. That is a fool's game.

esquare
January 13, 2011, 10:33 PM
As soon as LEO departments start issuing 10 round mags because they pose less of a risk to the public you can feel good about doing the same. Frankly, they aren't hi cap clips, they are standard capacity magazines. This would be the same as soldering 3 snap caps into the cylinder of a revolver - I just can't imagine someone doing that for self defense.

My take, you're carrying the gun anyway - so why wouldn't you carry the standard number of rounds?

mljdeckard
January 13, 2011, 11:06 PM
I do actually have high capacity magazines for my SKS. It was designed for ten round mags. Mine hold twenty.

Um, I would have mixed feelings on the idea. I walked away from guns with larger magazines, I went back to 1911s with 8+1 mags, I have never looked back. Even if you HAVE the capacity, are you going to use it? In a fight, you should reload when you CAN, not when you NEED to. We don't live in MelGibsonland where you crank off a full mag at an aircraft and follow it immediately with another. Real life situations where you NEED to continuously fire that much without time to reload are very rare indeed. I seriously doubt there would ever be a situation where I would deal with it differently with a hi-cap weapon than my 1911. If I really NEED that much ammo, I shouldn't be using a pistol at all, I should have used those few rounds to fight back to my rifle.

On the other hand, if I owned a gun that took hi-caps, particularly a very LARGE one, it would feel ridiculous if I weren't allowed to use it. (Especially because of the policy of some ninny beurocrat.)

DenaliPark
January 13, 2011, 11:31 PM
Uh, run like heck back into the store and out the other side?

How often does this happen? Like once, ever? I am not interested in preparing for last week's news event. That is a fool's game.
"Ahh" understanding history, is the key to preparing for the future...Fool's game? Yeah, and just who's the fool?

Bubba613
January 14, 2011, 02:28 AM
"Ahh" understanding history, is the key to preparing for the future...Fool's game? Yeah, and just who's the fool?
And history is not one incident last week or last year or last decade.
Who's the fool? Anyone who bases decisions on one or two incidents.

Silverado6x6
January 14, 2011, 02:34 AM
After reading all of this thread I had a funny thought that now people who "may" be living in a state with hi-cap mag bans will start wearing vests like the one "Da" wore in Boondock Saints that held something like 8 guns.

Silverado6x6
January 14, 2011, 02:35 AM
Back in the days of single shot pistols it was called a "brace" of guns, and many a person indeed carried more than one gun.

PabloJ
January 14, 2011, 02:40 AM
The pro way is to carry two guns one compact and one "service size" in the same caliber. The compact should accept larger guns magazines.

HGUNHNTR
January 14, 2011, 10:35 AM
Even if you HAVE the capacity, are you going to use it? In a fight, you should reload when you CAN, not when you NEED to. We don't live in MelGibsonland where you crank off a full mag at an aircraft and follow it immediately with another. Real life situations where you NEED to continuously fire that much without time to reload are very rare indeed. I seriously doubt there would ever be a situation where I would deal with it differently with a hi-cap weapon than my 1911. If I really NEED that much ammo, I shouldn't be using a pistol at all, I should have used those few rounds to fight back to my rifle.

1. Well if you do need to use it YOU won't have it.
2. I seriously doubt I will ever need my ccw firearm, but I carry it anyway.
3. It is difficult to CCW a rifle in public---again re-quoting cliches adds nothing to meaningful discourse.

Nicky Santoro
January 14, 2011, 10:59 AM
Why not have the extra magazine capacity?

Exactly. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

mljdeckard
January 14, 2011, 12:01 PM
But in saying that, are you saying that all of us who carry single-stack autos are underprepared? And if we aren't, why is it necessary to carry more? (I did say I would use the capacity if I had it.)

esquare
January 14, 2011, 12:07 PM
But in saying that, are you saying that all of us who carry single-stack autos are underprepared? And if we aren't, why is it necessary to carry more? (I did say I would use the capacity if I had it.)

Not necessary - just prudent.

David E
January 14, 2011, 12:16 PM
But in saying that, are you saying that all of us who carry single-stack autos are underprepared? And if we aren't, why is it necessary to carry more?

No, since that is YOUR option, not the mandate of some elected mouth-breathing moron.

If your 8+1 capacity 1911 was loaded with 6 rds max, would that make sense?

Vern Humphrey
January 14, 2011, 12:19 PM
Quote:

BS --If you can't solve the problem with 10 rounds you are going to need more rounds!
If you were in a gun fight and needed more than 10 rounds, where would you get this additional " instruction and practice," in the cemetery?:scrutiny:

bds
January 14, 2011, 02:08 PM
Another approach.

If your only option was to carry knives for self-defense, how many knives would you carry?

1 or more?

- or -

If your only option was to carry bow & arrows for self defense, how many arrows would you carry?

10? or more?

Me, as many as I can comfortably carry.

DenaliPark
January 14, 2011, 02:08 PM
Mall Ninjitsu...

HGUNHNTR
January 14, 2011, 02:10 PM
Another approach.

If your only option was to carry knives for self-defense, how many knives would you carry?

1 or more?

A knife doesn't lose effectiveness as a firearm does without ammo.

bds
January 14, 2011, 02:12 PM
A knife doesn't lose effectiveness as a firearm does without ammo.
Caught that and was changing to bow & arrows, but you posted too fast. :D

Zerodefect
January 14, 2011, 02:16 PM
1. Yes, 10 is plenty.
2. Who cares what the media hates, they're stupid.
3. If you live in a free state, get a full capacity mag.

SSN Vet
January 14, 2011, 02:37 PM
if your particular scenario only requires 10 shots to remedy, then yes, it is enough. :rolleyes:

PabloJ
January 14, 2011, 02:55 PM
Ten should be plenty especially for folks from sparsely populated states with infinitesimal crime rates.

Harley Quinn
January 14, 2011, 03:35 PM
OP,
For many the 10 is more than enough, numerous pistols that are popular in your 45 acp that is loved to death... Then the high cap comes along and many want it...In a 45 acp it means quite a bit of extra weight... Not needed some will say and stay with the 1911 with single stack mag of 1/3 less than 10;)

I believe when making decisions based on laws, then determine your own preference it will always be an issue that is argued til the cows come home...

The original hi cap was the 1935 Browning Hi Power, still a good choice by many... But in some states (and more maybe down the line) the 10 is going to be all you can have...Then that will change many to start looking harder at the specific caliber they will want to carry:D A 9mm with 19 rounds is better in many folks opinion, rather than a 45 acp 1911 ;)

sargents1
January 14, 2011, 04:10 PM
If you are in a situation where 10 shots is not enough then you may already be screwed. I would not feel under gunned with a m1911 and 8 rounds of .45acp. Or with a .40S&W and 10rounds.

Some of the scenarios put forward in these arguments about mag capacity are kind of far fetched, though not unheard of.

That being said, my 9mm holds 15+. More chances to hit the bad guy = good.

The main thing is that when trouble arrives at your doorstep you have your gun, whatever variety it is, ready, loaded, functional and within arm's reach.

Sauer Grapes
January 14, 2011, 04:15 PM
Damn, I need a new CCW! :neener:

Onmilo
January 14, 2011, 04:26 PM
Why sure, ten rounds is enough, and perhaps real shooters only need two rounds maximum in their rifles,,,,
I am an American, I don't appreciate anyone deciding what constitutes enough is enough for me just because some insane child uses a gun to kill other humans which happens every day of the week somewhere in America and doesn't generate this much controversy.
Why?
Because those dead people aren't elected officials who apparently hold some higher authority than all the rest of the souls walking around my great country and apparently we cannot be trusted to play niced around these hallowed beings so our rights as citizens should be stepped upon,,,,

Don't fall into the trap of "common sense gun laws".

1911austin
January 14, 2011, 04:32 PM
I like my mags to have the capacity intended by the manufacturer. Things seem to work better that way. Don't need any help from the government to help me decide.

1911austin
January 14, 2011, 04:42 PM
Don't fall into the trap of "common sense gun laws".

I have more distaste for so called "gun owners" that support any form of gun control than Sarah Brady herself.

ohwell
January 14, 2011, 04:42 PM
Use what your carry gun will hold, that will most likely be 10 or less in most cases unless you carry a gun with a grip long enough to make it look like you have a tail sticking out the back of your shirt than heck fill it with a 30 round mag.

Vern Humphrey
January 14, 2011, 04:53 PM
And history is not one incident last week or last year or last decade.
Who's the fool? Anyone who bases decisions on one or two incidents.
As opposed to basing decisions on nothing but imagination?

David E
January 16, 2011, 06:20 PM
Use what your carry gun will hold, that will most likely be 10 or less in most cases unless you carry a gun with a grip long enough to make it look like you have a tail sticking out the back of your shirt than heck fill it with a 30 round mag.

I have no problem concealing a full size M&P 40, XD-40 or similar. All it takes is the right holster.

Bubba613
January 16, 2011, 08:34 PM
As opposed to basing decisions on nothing but imagination?

Who advocates that??:what:

Hanzo581
January 16, 2011, 08:51 PM
I would say just carry what you shoot the best and carry most comfortably....I wouldn't be overly concerned with round capacity.

That being said, if you have an option to carry a bigger magazine while keeping the same size (not sticking out of the grip) I would certainly do so.

If you enjoyed reading about "10 Round Mag is it good enough" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!