ranges that allow 50 cal rifles?

PDA

Jon Coppenbarger
January 9, 2011, 01:20 PM
Just want to get some thoughts from folks here on what is going on around the country as far as range use for 50 cal shooters.
What specifically is desired is ranges that have target pits that hold matches with target frames and the such and not just a range with back stops.

Here in colorado we have two ranges withing 2 hours of me and both them have banned the use of them on the highpower ranges. one was when I was on the board of directors and it was because we kept having damage outside of the boarder of the range caused by 50 cal bullets. The other was for the same reason and I was not on the board of that one.

Now we can go to the whittington center about 2 hours south and it is fine to use them on their long range but everything around that range belongs to them. I do know of local ranges that allow there use but not in a structured match setting with pits and targets that go up and down.

I personally can see letting them shoot on a range in a match as it is structured to keep the bullets on the target. But as a match director or a board member as I once was it was frustrating showing up and having target frames having massive damage and then having to answer to neighbors about the large calibre rounds impacting their property.

I can see having say a couple of targets set aside for their use to help keep the damage down but as to the neighbors complaining that I do not know how to keep that from happening.

It burns me to keep anyone from using anything they want but it also comes down to a few who feel the need and right to be able to do anything they wish and cause problems for the rest of the members of a club.

I want to thank you for your comments before hand.

If you enjoyed reading about "ranges that allow 50 cal rifles?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Mark8252
January 9, 2011, 04:07 PM
Are you in Colorado Springs? Try Dragon Man's if you are or are near. Not certain he allows 50 but I would give him a try.

Jon Coppenbarger
January 9, 2011, 05:31 PM
Thank you for your response but dragon man does not have pits with targets used for matches that was the question. So far I know of a few out west but not locally. they also allow 50's at ramah but I do not remember they having pits unless they have been put in lately.

Thank you again

RANGERRON72
January 17, 2011, 10:58 PM
Weld County Sportman's and Cheyenne Wells are two, I think.

Zak Smith
January 19, 2011, 12:42 PM
Weld County allows 50's but is only 200m.

If you enjoyed reading about "ranges that allow 50 cal rifles?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!